Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] My views on your reply to my toon post

Acas

Feb 4, 2021
Thanks for the "balance" of views. We are trying to get Ashley out he's held our Club back through his greed. If you don't know, one of our fans averaged out his "spending" over his tenure, it averaged out over 13 years 2.7m spent per season players! Bound to fail.

Like I say when I was watching your game the other day against Spurs I said to my boy " these are fantastic to watch and just don't give the ball away ", so this 100% . I was serious about you making the top 8, continue as you are and it's realistic. In closing, the only thing that drives me mad is the " deluded Geordies" label that gets thrown at us. We just aren't, want to see offensive football and players give 100%. Not asking for much. If we played like you are at present, I would be delighted. You are so lucky watching your team. Apart from when you play us at your place, good luck for the rest of the season, you lucky lucky people. Cheers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve never understood the ‘deluded Geordie’ tag as an epithet either. Sure, you have some deluded individual fans, but no more than any other club - including us. As a group, I’d describe Toon fans as passionate, knowledgeable, frustrated, and great fun - but absolutely not deluded.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I hope that when you eventually change owners that you don't go to the other extreme of spending like Man City or Chelsea.

It would be great if you were given the chance with decent some investment to grow organically and bring through some more of your academy.
I'm sure better times are around the corner for you, Ashley will need to cash in his chips eventually.
Keep the faith.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Quintessential proper club, proper fans.

Hope you get your wishes with Ashley gone but careful what you wish for. From the layman’s perspective for example the Burnley take over seems doomed to failure.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thanks for the "balance" of views. We are trying to get Ashley out he's held our Club back through his greed. If you don't know, one of our fans averaged out his "spending" over his tenure, it averaged out over 13 years 2.7m spent per season players! Bound to fail.

Like I say when I was watching your game the other day against Spurs I said to my boy " these are fantastic to watch and just don't give the ball away ", so this 100% . I was serious about you making the top 8, continue as you are and it's realistic. In closing, the only thing that drives me mad is the " deluded Geordies" label that gets thrown at us. We just aren't, want to see offensive football and players give 100%. Not asking for much. If we played like you are at present, I would be delighted. You are so lucky watching your team. Apart from when you play us at your place, good luck for the rest of the season, you lucky lucky people. Cheers.

mate ....to be fair up until 3 or 4 weeks ago this has been one of the most frustrating times to be an Albion fan , loads of possession , lovely football but far too wasteful in front of goal and giving stupid goals away every week ...........something appears to have clicked now so we all hope it continues along the upward curve in performance.

as far as im concerned you can replace deluded with passionate , your club has a large , passionate following to rival any club you care to mention , it's religion ..........anyone calling you lot deluded is probably a chelsea or spurs fan with an Amex season ticket.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s genuinely heartwarming to hear fans and ex players from bigger clubs than the Albion singing our praises. Just over two years ago we were vilified for playing anti football.

I remember when we were at the arse end of the league and with a bleak future ahead of us loving watching Keegan’s Newcastle on TV. Asprilla and David Ginola particularly. Like Spurs, West Ham and United I have always thought of Newcastle as an entertaining attacking side likely to score a few and concede a few. I know Rafa is loved up there but is his football anything more than just efficient these days, an upmarket Bruce? Who would you like to manage you (and no DO NOT say Graham Potter :lolol:)

OP how do you feel about the failed take over? Are you happy to sell your club’s soul to a mega rich foreign investor? Would you not be nervous for the future of your club long term even if you did get rid of Ashley in the process?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Ashley may be a shitbag and yes when you factor in free sponsorship he does take money out the club.
But he didn't buy it by loading it up with debt, he is reasonably competent if unambitious and his plan seems to be to sell at tidy profit rather than strip everything out leaving nothing but layers of shell companies and mountains of debt.
Yes it's shit but in today's football it's like complaining about your migraines in a room that's got people with stage 4 cancer in.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ashley may be a shitbag and yes when you factor in free sponsorship he does take money out the club.
But he didn't buy it by loading it up with debt, he is reasonably competent if unambitious and his plan seems to be to sell at tidy profit rather than strip everything out leaving nothing but layers of shell companies and mountains of debt.
Yes it's shit but in today's football it's like complaining about your migraines in a room that's got people with stage 4 cancer in.

Tough one isn’t it. He doesn’t inspire but he has efficiently kept Newcastle up and the campaigns against him have, imo, been a bit half arsed from what I’ve seen

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My claim to fame is that I've played football with Asprilla's interpreter at Hove Rec. years' ago.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Hopefully you get rid of Ashley sooner rather than later... very dislikeable character.

The hiring of Graeme Jones is a great start for something different than the Bruce stuff though, think I might have mentioned it yesterday. He is a close friend of Potter and they share a lot of football views. In the best of worlds (for you) this means that Roberto Martinez might come along once he is tired of coaching Belgium.

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’ve always loved Geordies. It probably began with Byker Grove to be honest!

One of my bests mates is a Geordie, I’ve been up to Newcastle to stay with him a number of times and sit in their family box when we play yous. I have always found Geordies so warm and welcoming, such nice people. Touring the boozers pre-match is an absolute joy (unless friendly faces and banter turn you off), no hassle wearing my scarf in the Strawberry post match either.

I don’t think Newcastle fans are entitled, it’s clear you belong in the top half of the Premier League regularly filling a 50k stadium. You deserve a chairman likes ours, you’d be one of the established top six sides if you had one. It’s posts like yours that remind us how lucky we are to have Tony, then again, we went through hell before we got him.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Loved Keegan’s teams.

Would have been great if they’d won the league at that point.

The Philippe Albert chip vs Utd, silky football........

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
We had Bill Archer , now this parasite was the type of scum that even the bottom of the barrel was ashamed of . Our mates up the road at Charlton had Roland De Chatelet and Blackpool had the vile Oystons , all thankfully now gone . Here`s hoping you get your wish and see the back of Ashley , without having to pay too high a price . All the best to you lads up there:thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Don’t worry about that most real football fans know the Geordies are alright. You don’t expect the world, you just want to play some good football, be competitive and have an owner you believe in.

Having been to Newcastle a bit it’s very evident how embedded your club is in the community. St James feels like a focal point of the place.

I wish you guys well and hope you get the owner you deserve.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve never understood the ‘deluded Geordie’ tag as an epithet either. Sure, you have some deluded individual fans, but no more than any other club - including us. As a group, I’d describe Toon fans as passionate, knowledgeable, frustrated, and great fun - but absolutely not deluded.

Tend to agree. Unfortunately, it is often the way that it is the small minority that get the press attention. Bit like the 70s when all football supporters were branded hooligans yet in reality it was a very small minority at most clubs.

Besides, I like Newcastle, been twice and we haven't dropped a point.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Newcastle away is just about everything a visiting fan could possibly want. Great pubs, great city, super stadium right in the town, friendly and knowledgeable home fans, at least two chippies to choose from, good train service, etc, etc.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Finding this a bit cringe tbf, don't need approval from other teams fans tbh (and any reason for a new thread than just reply on the one you started?). However, no malice intended.

Always loved Keegan's Newcastle, what a shame they didn't beat United that season. Not been to Newcastle but always wanted to, an expensive trip out of my reach so far.

Sorry, don't get the hate for Ashley. I'd much rather have a rather shrewd British businessman over c**tish dodgy Arabs, regardless of the money. If that sort of takeover happened at the Albion then I would abandon them and go local non league.

Also, Ashley has just bought Wilson and Fraser for a very tidy packet and (wasted) money on Joelinton, none of whom we could afford in our dreams - so maybe it's about getting a better manager than owner?

Anyway, good luck for season as I do like having Newcastle in the top tier.

Barrow Boy

Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Never have thought of your fans as 'deluded', one of my favourite footballing memories was being at St James's Park back in 1979 when we beat you and got promoted to the old Div1. We stood on the terrace in front of the main stand with your supporters all around us, we all had a good laugh and at the end had about a dozen Newcastle fans shake our hands and wish us good luck in Div1. And your main group of supporters behind the goal, stayed behind for about 20 mins after the game had ended still chanting for your team even though you'd lost. Now that, in my books, is what you call real support, good luck in getting Ashley out.
:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Never have thought of your fans as 'deluded', one of my favourite footballing memories was being at St James's Park back in 1979 when we beat you and got promoted to the old Div1. We stood on the terrace in front of the main stand with your supporters all around us, we all had a good laugh and at the end had about a dozen Newcastle fans shake our hands and wish us good luck in Div1. And your main group of supporters behind the goal, stayed behind for about 20 mins after the game had ended still chanting for your team even though you'd lost. Now that, in my books, is what you call real support, good luck in getting Ashley out.
:thumbsup:

I believe us winning fecked up Sunderland so of course they were happy. Experienced the same myself post match

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here