Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Online Hate and Abuse Towards Aaron Connolly

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Aaron Connolly has deleted all of his social media after receiving loads of hate and online abuse from loads of Albion "fans", and also lots of gamblers.

"When Aaron Connolly failed to convert a late chance to double Brighton and Hove Albion’s lead against Tottenham, critical fingers moved into overdrive. Never mind that Toby Alderweireld’s outstretched left leg prevented the young substitute from slotting Pascal Gross’s cut-back into a gaping goal from the edge of the six-yard box. Never mind that Brighton still beat Jose Mourinho’s Spurs in stirring, stylish fashion 1-0 at the Amex Stadium on Sunday evening.

That’s what Connolly’s paid all that money for, right? To score goals. It was time to wade in. A combination of anger at Connolly’s “miss” and aggrieved punters who had backed Brighton to win 2-0 produced sufficient levels of vitriol on Twitter for the forward to delete his account. A member of staff at Brighton rang Connolly to make sure he was okay."

https://theathletic.com/2356542/202...jSyeBrUhRy1ACTES3IA1UBfRUJJ7hDUyrXEaUJIP74ucc

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Aaron Connolly has deleted all of his social media after receiving loads of hate and online abuse from loads of Albion "fans", and also lots of gamblers.

"When Aaron Connolly failed to convert a late chance to double Brighton and Hove Albion’s lead against Tottenham, critical fingers moved into overdrive. Never mind that Toby Alderweireld’s outstretched left leg prevented the young substitute from slotting Pascal Gross’s cut-back into a gaping goal from the edge of the six-yard box. Never mind that Brighton still beat Jose Mourinho’s Spurs in stirring, stylish fashion 1-0 at the Amex Stadium on Sunday evening.

That’s what Connolly’s paid all that money for, right? To score goals. It was time to wade in. A combination of anger at Connolly’s “miss” and aggrieved punters who had backed Brighton to win 2-0 produced sufficient levels of vitriol on Twitter for the forward to delete his account. A member of staff at Brighton rang Connolly to make sure he was okay."

https://theathletic.com/2356542/202...jSyeBrUhRy1ACTES3IA1UBfRUJJ7hDUyrXEaUJIP74ucc
He hasn't done the right thing in coming off twitter, according to this report from fellow Irish man, Kevin Doyle....

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/aaron-connolly-doyle-1145849

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
As some one who has never used social media, I can't understand why anyone would use it. All I hear about these days is abuse aimed at people on social media platforms.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
There're so many divs out there why would any public figure have a social media account? I certainly wouldn't. Or at least have one but get someone else to run it and never look at it yourself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Best he comes off it and concentrates on his game. He's a young lad with potential and he shouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder all the time. Too many tiny brained, spiteful people on social media.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Every player gets abuse when they miss a sitter. More so when it's a striker.

I didn't see anything worse than normal online tbh.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
They`re not real Albion fans if they abuse one of their own . As for the gamblers , i always have a footy bet and mostly lose , guess what that`s why it`s called gambling ! . And had he scored so late , all those that had bet 1-0 would have been on his back :mad:

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
As some one who has never used social media, I can't understand why anyone would use it. All I hear about these days is abuse aimed at people on social media platforms.

Is NSC any different,I very rarely offer an opinion because of the abuse you receive if you disagree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nsc is social media.

Like anything else, social media can be used for good, ie raising money, awareness of issues etc out for bad, such as abuse and attacks.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I don’t get who the “gamblers” are and why they’d be bothered he missed? Surely they weren’t betting on us scoring another against Spurs?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its wrong on Twitter and nobody would have wanted it to happen to their friend or family member but its ok on NSC and Aaron Connolly doesnt have any family members or friends as he was produced in a production line to please 40 000 people who are trying to live their own failed dreams of becoming footballers through someone else.

Thousands of people on Twitter are going to say "well if he became a footballer he'll just have to take it / if he is dumb enough to read Twitter he can only blame himself", same mentality here but replace Twitter with NSC. Thing is, I could make up plenty of reasons to hate or abuse anyone, including anyone you know and love, and defend it with similar arguments.

Criticism is always ok and should always be allowed everywhere but plenty of people cross the line between criticism and bashing/abuse, on Twitter, here and anywhere. Its obviously a common/natural human thing to react in that manner to someone not able to always please you, so while I understand it I would much prefer if it was kept at the dinner table or in the pub where the victim cant see or hear it.

Its just my five cents though - I'm relatively young and hang out with young people as my life is a wee bit retarded, but there is a mental health issue out there - probably bigger than some of you old farts think - and a huge part of that is this culture no one allegedly wants to be part of and that most people are part of anyway. When it comes to "public persons" like footballers its likely even worse than for some random people throwing shit at eachother because thousands of people saying you are shit will be more difficult to brush off than if one or two idiots say it (which is bad enough).

Not saying I want censorship everywhere and anywhere but I do wish for a society where people were in general a little bit more kind and thoughtful.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every player gets abuse when they miss a sitter. More so when it's a striker.

I didn't see anything worse than normal online tbh.
An acceptable level of abuse then? - or is it a case of much of Twitter (I assume it's a Twitter account we are talking about) is unacceptable, but that's how it is?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Society hasn't changed, there have always been ********s but those ********s (as cowards) have found social media as an anonymous outlet for their bile.

Twitter is quite extraordinary at times. It enables that sad ******** who used to sit on his own moaning about his sad pathetic life at the corner of the bar to connect to other sad pathetic bitter individuals.

Add in a bunch of random nutjobs and a sprinkle of Russian and Chinese automated "bots" and that's Twitter. There is a prominent Covid denier on there ("who" claims to be a UK-based statistician) which is clearly a computer-generated account under the control of a foreign government. It jumbles together random Covid denial sentences that in isolation look authentic but if you watch it over time, it's clearly not a real person. If you bothered (which no-one ever does) to try and find this human on the basis they have written a PHD, done the research, work for a University or are a member of an organisation etc. you find nothing. You find nothing because they don't exist.

It's programmed to reply instantly to a number of high-profile accounts (whether that be the BBC, Piers Morgan or prominent Covid/Lockdown skeptics such as Toby Young, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Allison Pearson, etc..) and gets a number of followers.

That's the real conspiracy, every Western Government knows that that regimes such as China and Russia are pumping millions into disinformation via social media. It's their new defence policy. The irony of course that most modern-day conspiracy theorists who get sucked in are part of the conspiracy themselves. Not the being lied to, but the liar.

It works. You only need to read the bullshit that a number of members post on here. They've read it on Twiiter and Facebook.

Morons.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Its wrong on Twitter and nobody would have wanted it to happen to their friend or family member but its ok on NSC and Aaron Connolly doesnt have any family members or friends as he was produced in a production line to please 40 000 people who are trying to live their own failed dreams of becoming footballers through someone else.

Thousands of people on Twitter are going to say "well if he became a footballer he'll just have to take it / if he is dumb enough to read Twitter he can only blame himself", same mentality here but replace Twitter with NSC. Thing is, I could make up plenty of reasons to hate or abuse anyone, including anyone you know and love, and defend it with similar arguments.

Criticism is always ok and should always be allowed everywhere but plenty of people cross the line between criticism and bashing/abuse, on Twitter, here and anywhere. Its obviously a common/natural human thing to react in that manner to someone not able to always please you, so while I understand it I would much prefer if it was kept at the dinner table or in the pub where the victim cant see or hear it.

Its just my five cents though - I'm relatively young and hang out with young people as my life is a wee bit retarded, but there is a mental health issue out there - probably bigger than some of you old farts think - and a huge part of that is this culture no one allegedly wants to be part of and that most people are part of anyway. When it comes to "public persons" like footballers its likely even worse than for some random people throwing shit at eachother because thousands of people saying you are shit will be more difficult to brush off than if one or two idiots say it (which is bad enough).

Not saying I want censorship everywhere and anywhere but I do wish for a society where people were in general a little bit more kind and thoughtful.

The difference to me is that a Twitter response goes directly to the player. An opinion expressed on said player on NSC is on a forum/messageboard and for a player to actively seek it out is like making the mistake of "never read your own press", shirley? Although I agree with much of what you say. However, also noted you can be quite acidic with your comments on here too, as can I, and well most of us!

Personally, i love NSC but don't have an account on twitter, instagram, snapchat. Do have FB but only for marketplace. I don;t really consider NSC as similar or social media really, just a forum.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The difference to me is that a Twitter response goes directly to the player. An opinion expressed on said player on NSC is on a forum/messageboard and for a player to actively seek it out is like making the mistake of "never read your own press", shirley? Although I agree with much of what you say. However, also noted you can be quite acidic with your comments on here too, as can I, and well most of us!

Personally, i love NSC but don't have an account on twitter, instagram, snapchat. Do have FB but only for marketplace. I don;t really consider NSC as similar or social media really, just a forum

While I agree that "never read your own press" is the right approach I think its probably pretty hard to live by, people in general - perhaps especially young ones - are very curious about how people percieve them. And yes, no doubt I can be quite acidic just like nearly everyone, but I do my best to learn and improve (!). No one is perfect. However, some people got no interest in even trying to be less toxic and they tend to be loud which is a minor issue but unfortunately they also tend to stirr up those trying to be soft in their judgement, which is a major issue. Anywhere on the web where it goes over the limit you'll see a few reoccuring demagogues pushing the limit "allowing" more people to step over it when they otherwise would have - wisely - kept their heated emotions to themselves.

Do agree NSC and other niche forums is slightly different and less of an issue though, but on odd occasions it turns very similar.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
He’s right to ditch social media. It’s a cesspit. Celebrities will always attract the abusive, so why bother?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is NSC any different,I very rarely offer an opinion because of the abuse you receive if you disagree.

This comment is a joke. **** off you ****ing **** and shove **** with the **** ******** to your mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here