Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any tips re a home Cross Trainer

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My sister has a Kettler just wondering if NSC has any advice?

I hate swimming I really do (and obviously the pools are not open) and have some osteoarthritis in toes of one foot and one knee, plus over I'm 40. Also I'm 6'5.

Anyone use a cross trainer?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Coss Trainer.jpg

He looks like a very cross trainer.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As with all home gym equipment try to buy the best you can not budget stuff that doesn't last, Decathlon seem to have good deals?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In all honesty I think most people struggle with 'static' cardio gym kit with a single purpose / use in their home. The fact it becomes very boring, very quickly and you don't go anywhere is pretty tough mentally.

Have you looked into some kind of exercise in a group / personal trainer or similar?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As with all home gym equipment try to buy the best you can not budget stuff that doesn't last, Decathlon seem to have good deals?

I concur this, if you can afford it get one that plugs in, magnetic cheapos are shit and nothing like the gym ones!

https://uk.bestreviews.guide/cross-trainer-machines?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=m&google_params[creative]=435908545828&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=75893689622&google_params[campaignid]=6537475128&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=1006812&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C357&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ur7z4XT7gIVj6ztCh3oiQzdEAAYAiAAEgKKH_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I use an old Reebok . Not up to Gym quality but a lot better than many. Quite heavy and sturdy but i did manage to wear the arm out on it. I have bought second hand and got some very good items over the past around the £70 mark when it would be £300+ new. Are you a big built or just tall as most of the 'home' kit has quite low maximum weight limits.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bear in mind the stuff in the gym costs around £10000 so set your expectations accordingly.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Very true, I once had a £700 towel rail masquerading as a treadmill

:eek::mad::lolol:

I've had two pals do similar during the first lockdown, one bought a bike and another a cross trainer. From what I understand in both cases you can count on one hand how many times they've been used to date.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:eek::mad::lolol:

I've had two pals do similar during the first lockdown, one bought a bike and another a cross trainer. From what I understand in both cases you can count on one hand how many times they've been used to date.

Invariably nature's way of telling you you've got WAY too much disposable income. Never ever contemplate buying that kind of shit new, you'll always find somebody willing to sell you theirs for half the cost of a trip to the tip :lol:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Just buy a clothes horse......much cheaper! :thumbsup:

This is the correct response. All home gym equipment, sooner or later, becomes a place to hang clothes.

Don’t do it. You’ll spend a lot of money, get some initial use out of it, and then be listing it on eBay by next year at the latest.

If you must purchase, at least purchase from eBay so you’re not the mug paying full price from the retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I concur this, if you can afford it get one that plugs in, magnetic cheapos are shit and nothing like the gym ones!

https://uk.bestreviews.guide/cross-trainer-machines?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=m&google_params[creative]=435908545828&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=75893689622&google_params[campaignid]=6537475128&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=1006812&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C357&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ur7z4XT7gIVj6ztCh3oiQzdEAAYAiAAEgKKH_D_BwE

Thanks for the couple of tips from people, appreciated amongst the jokers (amongst every NSC thread, thankfully). I have been using my sister's kettler (£700) regularly (she's my bubble if concerned) but not sure it's quite big enough for me. I'm 17 (and a bit stone) aiming to get down to 16 but just can't shift it. I don't find 30 mins a day boring at all tbf, just have a bit of Planet Rock on and look at the joggers out the window (I imagine I'm chasing them with an axe). I usually walk everywhere but my joints are starting to complain a bit nowadays. Might look into a stepper but I think at my height I'd end up with my head going through the ceiling (steady Gus).
And if anyone has a £10k one they want rid for a few hundred quid then let me know :thumbsup:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In all honesty I think most people struggle with 'static' cardio gym kit with a single purpose / use in their home. The fact it becomes very boring, very quickly and you don't go anywhere is pretty tough mentally.

Have you looked into some kind of exercise in a group / personal trainer or similar?

It's me joints that are the problem. Probably too much trekking in my younger days. Looking for low impact really.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Invariably nature's way of telling you you've got WAY too much disposable income. Never ever contemplate buying that kind of shit new, you'll always find somebody willing to sell you theirs for half the cost of a trip to the tip :lol:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I came close to buying peloton or what it’s called but then thought of how much I’d lose on it when I sold it for a third of the price

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just an update - binned off the secondhand cross trainer idea due to issues of condition, getting it delivered and up the stairs.

Just bought a Wolverson Ski Trainer and absolutely love it! Small footprint in the spare bedroom means not having to move furniture around/out to fit it in, easily delivery in two boxes upstairs, quiet in use. Brilliant work out, changing slightly how using it to exercise different muscles.

So great to wake up, roll out of bed, glass of water and straight to aerobic exercising. Confident it's going to be a game changer for me as it hasn't irritated my arthritic knee or toes nor my lower back issues (which has meant no running or cycling).

Not as expensive as the Ski Erg (it was £610 with easy to find 10% code and comes with a base, which is extra cost on the Erg). Few minor issues putting together due to some very tight fittings but nae drama.

Just updating in case of any interest to anyone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here