Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which was the bigger win? Forest away 79 or Liverpool away 21?

Which was the bigger win? Forest away 79 or Liverpool away 21?

• Forest 79

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Liverpool 21

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • They were both great

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The Liverpool win is undoubtedly the biggest win since we returned to top flight football and the riches of the Premier League. We were only thawted from ending their unbeaten home run by Liverpool's defeat to Burnley in their previous home game.

This reminded me of when we beat Forest back in 1979 (I was only 4 at the time so I don't remember how it was met in the press etc).

Here's the Argus talking about it in 2017 - https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15...-hove-albion-how-gerry-ryan-played-a-blinder/

It got me wondering which is the bigger result.

Lets look at some of the facts.

Brighton beat Forest 1-0 to end unbeaten home league run

17th November 1979 Forest 0 - 1 Brighton, Gerry Ryan (12)

Forest's last home league defeat was 23rd April 1977 to Cardiff in 2nd Division.

Forest had won their previous 52 games at home and were managed by former Brighton manager Brian Clough.

It was first defeat at home for Forest since promotion back to the top flight at the end of the 76/77 season.

It was the only home league defeat Forest suffered in 3 full seasons (77-78, 78-79, 79-80)

Forest were European Champions having beaten Malmo in the European Cup Final in May 79, they'd go on to retain the European Cup beating Hamburg in May 1980.

Forest had won the 77-78 first division title and were runners up in the 78-79 season. They went on to finish 5th in the 79-80 season.

Brighton did the double over Forest that season following up with another 1-0 win at the Goldstone.

Brighton beat defending Premier League Champions Liverpool 1-0

3rd February 2021 Liverpool 0 - 1 Brighton, Steven Alzate (56)

Liverpool had only lost one of their last 69 home league games (against Burnley the previous home match)

Liverpool were defending Premier League Champions

Liverpool had been European Champions as recently as 2019 beating Spurs in the final.

Brighton took 4 points from Liverpool in the season having held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw earlier in the season.

--

So NSC which is bigger?

The victory over Nottingham Forest or the victory over Liverpool?

There's only one way to find out. FIGHT!!!! I mean a poll.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Very difficult to compare. Forest was a time with smaller, more consistent squads without the world superstars. Liverpool were a team with injury problems but replaced with full internationals. The mismatch in the relative teams was likely higher for the Liverpool game given the money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I enjoyed both the wins.

I think the draw at Hereford and the 5-1 against Hartlepool were bigger results, though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1979 was before I watched football so just something found in dusty tomes as far as I'm concerned.

el punal

The Forest game was probably the more important game. At the time we were bottom of the division and really struggling. A real backs to the wall victory that enabled us to kick on and achieve stability by the end of the season.

The Liverpool had a different significance. Here we actually outthought and outplayed the champions to win. It set a huge marker about the status of the Albion to the rest of the footballing world.

Where the Forest win was about survival and keeping our heads above water, the Liverpool victory confirmed that the promise had translated into progress. We are now seen not as relegation fodder but a team that can improve into being a threat to ANY Premier League side. All down to Potter’s vision, tactics and coaching - and of course, the players buying into that and executing it admirably.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No. You don't get it.

Football for me started in 1983. It is ancient history before that as far as I'm concerned.

Ancient history is still important history.

You seem to be dissing the exploits of the likes of Peter Ward, Charlie Webb, Tommy Cook, Alan Mullery et al just because you weren't there. The same could be said for the England World Cup winning team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ancient history is still important history.

You seem to be dissing the exploits of the likes of Peter Ward, Charlie Webb, Tommy Cook, Alan Mullery et al just because you weren't there. The same could be said for the England World Cup winning team.
It's just an opinion. Old football is academically interesting to me, no more.

My vote for the Liverpool game is in the poll above.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think the answer will very much depend on your generation.

Trying to look at it objectively, I think the gap between the large, super rich clubs like Liverpool and the rest is so big these days - just look at the wage bills in the financial figures that were released last week - that personally I think Liverpool is a bigger win.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All I can say the game against Liverpool was more relaxed to watch. Forest, their electronic clock started adding time or so it appeared. The longest 90 minutes ever, FACT.

Fortunate to have been at Liverpool 82 and 83, the Forest double oh and Chester away haha

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Although it wasn't a win I'd say the draw at Hereford is the biggest result without we have achieved because without that things could be very different

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
1979 was before I watched football so just something found in dusty tomes as far as I'm concerned.

Probably not for you then this thread BV but definitely Forest for me. ....... and they hadn’t just been beaten at home by another side a week or so previous.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
All I can say the game against Liverpool was more relaxed to watch. Forest, their electronic clock started adding time or so it appeared. The longest 90 minutes ever, FACT.

Fortunate to have been at Liverpool 82 and 83, the Forest double oh and Chester away haha

The seagull line took a bashing during the Forest game

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Forest was the bigger one for me. It came out of nowhere. Forest looked invincible at the time. We have been playing well - all the pundits have been saying so. Liverpool had players missing from key positions.

But this was another big 3 points. UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here