Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's a top coach isn't he?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
It taken time to get to a position where we are basking in a run of fantastic results against the top teams in the land but what has Potter done to these players to enable them to do what they have done? For me every player around the team has improved dramatically. Let's have a look.

Webster: A talented player but always liable to make a mistake. Now he's talked about as a shoe in for England. Hugely confident now with his 'they shall not pass' attitude, his marauding runs forward and a born leader. A vast improvement.

Veltman: bargain of the century, never been a wing back but has been turned into one. Apparently used to make mistakes at Ajax but hasn't made any that I can remember. Fantastic pro.

White: Considering he didn't want to be here, according to our Yorkshire friends, he has played comfortably in so many different roles.

Dunky: At the top of his game, fantastic reading of the game (2 great blocks yesterday and goaline clearance against Fulham) ..Fantastic partnership with Webster and super confident now.

BDB: Gives away penalty against Wolves and we all think he'll never play for us again. Well what do we know? Potter believes in him, and gets him to put in the wing back performance we saw yesterday.

Bissouma: Exciting but raw, wasn't certain of his place in the team. Now looking imperious hardly makes a mistake and being chased by the biggest clubs in the world for big money.

March: Used to be a hit and miss winger, but now a confident wing back and touted for England

Gross: One paced and in and out of the team, how to get the best out of him? Now has a fantastic understanding with the players around him, been around a long time but never played better.

Trossard: Was a bit lightweight, easily knocked off the ball, occasionally decent. Saw a pic of him in close season where it looked as though he'd been overdoing the pies. But he's bulked up, so hard to knock off the ball now works his nuts off and always trying to make things happen.

MacAllister: Clearly very talented, but given time to adjust to a new club and country and now showing everyone what he's about and another alerting the world's top clubs.

Lamptey: He'll be relishing playing in this team now. Still so young with a lot to learn but will be back in as soon as he's fit

Connolly: we sometimes forget he's still only 21 seems he's been around a long time having come through the ranks. Intelligent running to stretch defences

Maupay: I wasn't sure about him but now he's a proper pain in the ass for defenders, always on the move to pull defenders around and a great understanding with those around him.

The Fringe: Good back up in Lallana Welbeck Alzate and exciting new blood yet to start

AND FINALLY

Sanchez: He's been the masterstroke. Clearly well thought of in the 23s but Potter drops Ryan and promotes him straight to the number one. Since he's come in the defence have absolute faith in him. He dominates his area great shot stopper and stunning with a ball at his feet. He has Salah and Firmino closing him down but he laughs at them and pings a perfect pass to one of our players. Every time.

So is Potter a fine coach? I say the evidence says he is . All rhe work he's clearly put into every player is now bearing fruit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As with everything with Tony Bloom it is all about calculated risk, looking to make marginal gains & the long term game. It must be said Potter so far has been fitting into that. As with every club in the Premier League there are ups and downs but it looks like the model is slowly starting to pay off. The average age of our team has dropped considerably and we seem to have adapted to the COVID situation well - even more so by getting rid of some big earners and promoting youth in their place.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To me so much of it is about setting the environment.

There's an environment where players can attack, can play their game, can take a risk without fear of retribution or being publicly hauled over the coals.

It strikes me as very much an adult environment. Players are trusted. Look what they do with that trust. They are acting like adults on and off the pitch

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Tony and Paul are very wise men, They gave this guy a long contract for a good reason. Yes there will be ups and downs but in the long run we've got the right man at the right time.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Whilst this fantastic spell doesn’t necessarily mean all our problems are over, most of us did feel we hadn’t had the rub of the green this season results wise. Now we appear to be getting what our performances deserve and GP and team must take a lot of credit for this. TB is committed to the Albion(thankfully) and has been assembling the team to move us forward on the pitch. The acquisition of PB, DA and GP is helping to bring his plans to fruition. He got a lot of stick on NSC(and elsewhere) for very quickly extending GP’s contract early on - but the guy knows what he wants and what he’s doing.
A lot of GP’s mantra has been about learning from defeat and from making mistakes - about being brave! That is what we’re now seeing. We’re also seeing the benefit of avoiding knee-jerk reactions when things go wrong - God help us if we’d jettisoned GP for Big Sam or whoever a couple of months ago.
It’s definitely true that playing the long game with players like Ali Mac seems to have been the right one and I suspect the club will look after Caicedo the same way.
All this stems from the structure that TB has assembled. He wanted a ‘thinking’ coach like GP and in turn GP has now built that new ‘together’ spirit that we once had under CH. The players and GP(and his team) all seem on the same page now and the brilliant defensive unit epitomised it in the last few games in particular. Dunky and Webby now have the same strength as a partnership as D and D used to.
Fantastic time to be an Albion fan. Keep the Faith(I’ll spare you all a Northern Soul track on this thread but the sentiment is definitely valid).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It taken time to get to a position where we are basking in a run of fantastic results against the top teams in the land but what has Potter done to these players to enable them to do what they have done? For me every player around the team has improved dramatically. Let's have a look.

Webster: A talented player but always liable to make a mistake. Now he's talked about as a shoe in for England. Hugely confident now with his 'they shall not pass' attitude, his marauding runs forward and a born leader. A vast improvement.

Veltman: bargain of the century, never been a wing back but has been turned into one. Apparently used to make mistakes at Ajax but hasn't made any that I can remember. Fantastic pro.

White: Considering he didn't want to be here, according to our Yorkshire friends, he has played comfortably in so many different roles.

Dunky: At the top of his game, fantastic reading of the game (2 great blocks yesterday and goaline clearance against Fulham) ..Fantastic partnership with Webster and super confident now.

BDB: Gives away penalty against Wolves and we all think he'll never play for us again. Well what do we know? Potter believes in him, and gets him to put in the wing back performance we saw yesterday.

Bissouma: Exciting but raw, wasn't certain of his place in the team. Now looking imperious hardly makes a mistake and being chased by the biggest clubs in the world for big money.

March: Used to be a hit and miss winger, but now a confident wing back and touted for England

Gross: One paced and in and out of the team, how to get the best out of him? Now has a fantastic understanding with the players around him, been around a long time but never played better.

Trossard: Was a bit lightweight, easily knocked off the ball, occasionally decent. Saw a pic of him in close season where it looked as though he'd been overdoing the pies. But he's bulked up, so hard to knock off the ball now works his nuts off and always trying to make things happen.

MacAllister: Clearly very talented, but given time to adjust to a new club and country and now showing everyone what he's about and another alerting the world's top clubs.

Lamptey: He'll be relishing playing in this team now. Still so young with a lot to learn but will be back in as soon as he's fit

Connolly: we sometimes forget he's still only 21 seems he's been around a long time having come through the ranks. Intelligent running to stretch defences

Maupay: I wasn't sure about him but now he's a proper pain in the ass for defenders, always on the move to pull defenders around and a great understanding with those around him.

The Fringe: Good back up in Lallana Welbeck Alzate and exciting new blood yet to start

AND FINALLY

Sanchez: He's been the masterstroke. Clearly well thought of in the 23s but Potter drops Ryan and promotes him straight to the number one. Since he's come in the defence have absolute faith in him. He dominates his area great shot stopper and stunning with a ball at his feet. He has Salah and Firmino closing him down but he laughs at them and pings a perfect pass to one of our players. Every time.

So is Potter a fine coach? I say the evidence says he is . All rhe work he's clearly put into every player is now bearing fruit.

Everyone's suddenly a Clevor Trever. Or, as the late great [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] would have put it, an after-timer. Where were all these threads a month ago? Or even a fortnight ago? ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Everyone's suddenly a Clevor Trever. Or, as the late great [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] would have put it, an after-timer. Where were all these threads a month ago? Or even a fortnight ago? ???

That's unfair. There were several of us who saw what Potter was doing with the club and were firmly of the opinion that he should stay for a long time. There may not have been as much detail as the OP put in but there were still of plenty of people who hailed the transformation taking place.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That's unfair. There were several of us who saw what Potter was doing with the club and were firmly of the opinion that he should stay for a long time. There may not have been as much detail as the OP put in but there were still of plenty of people who hailed the transformation taking place.

Absolutely. In fairness at the height of Potter-Out mania I gave this board a swerve as I simply couldn't be arsed reading what I regarded as reactionary posts on here. Always been Potter-In and I am glad that the results are starting to reflect the hard work that he, the coaching staff and the players have been putting in at Lancing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Klopp was brilliant in the post match interview stating that he'll need to re-watch the match to find out exactly how we hurt them and how and why our tactics worked.

Him & Pep rate Potter very highly. I rate their opinions more than anyone on NSC because they two of the best managers in the world.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Potter's a top coach isn't he?

Sometimes.

I think we all know he has got it wrong on occasions - but that's part of learning . Patience is not part of most fans make-up (me included).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely. In fairness at the height of Potter-Out mania I gave this board a swerve as I simply couldn't be arsed reading what I regarded as reactionary posts on here. Always been Potter-In and I am glad that the results are starting to reflect the hard work that he, the coaching staff and the players have been putting in at Lancing.

Loving it how everyone's suddenly now "I've Always Been Potter In". Rewind a fortnight and everyone was "I'm Still Potter In But..." :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Loving it how everyone's suddenly now "I've Always Been Potter In". Rewind a fortnight and everyone was "I'm Still Potter In But..." :lolol:

Nothing wrong with that - I’m still Potter in now BUT I hope he doesn’t go back to changing the team so much...!

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-brighton-jurgen-klopp-tactics-19767306

A detailed and interesting tactical post-mortem from Liverpool.com.

Some of the gems from it:

Credit must go to Graham Potter for Brighton’s gameplan. Potter is one of the best match-to-match tacticians in the league. He is a problem solver, working backward from what the opposition does so well and then casting his eyes over his toys to figure out how to decode the riddle.

Flatly: Brighton had a better gameplan. They executed it better. They played better. And as the game ran along, Potter and his staff adapted on-the-fly in a way that was sorely lacking from Jurgen Klopp and his staff.
Much of Liverpool’s recent struggles have been about individuals not executing. There is nothing a staff can do about Divock Origi running clear through on goal and smashing the crossbar. But Brighton represented one of the few times where the blame should be shared equally between the staff and the players.
The players played tepidly, but they were set-up for failure by a coaching staff that was out-schemed by one of the Premier League’s tactical savants.​

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I don’t agree with TH on much. But he’s spot on with this, there are quite a few “Johnny come lately”s recently.

Where were these impassioned supports of Potter telling us what a great coach he was months ago when most NSC were “Potter out”? There weren’t many of us so I would know.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Got as far as shoe. Died a little inside. Stopped reading.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where were these impassioned supports of Potter telling us what a great coach he was months ago when most NSC were “Potter out”? There weren’t many of us so I would know.

It really is all about you, isn't it? ???

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I don’t agree with TH on much. But he’s spot on with this, there are quite a few “Johnny come lately”s recently.

Not quite sure how you are both able to talk more about GP than I am. Impressive... and a little bit disturbing.

Anyway... some people sometimes change their opinions. Some people do it a couple of times a day, some people once a year, some people never... all based on a variety of things. While I agree its a bit silly to be fluctuating a lot in opinions, its not bad to be open-minded in all directions. To some people GP will never be good enough, because CH created some of the best memories and their lives and rather than just missing him they opt to hate his replacement. To some people GP will be God once he wins a few games or, dare I say it, maybe bring home a cup title or a top 10 placement. But its really just a bunch of memories and feelings attached to people who are only a small (but significant) part of the club... its all pretty fecking meaningless. CH & the memories you associate with him are not coming back, and good new things would sooner or later happened with another manager as well. Just enjoy the ride.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here