Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crowd Noise

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've noticed that crowd noise seems to be biased in favour of certain clubs. I know the teams cant hear it, but the Anfield crowd booed firstly at the booking and then at the final whistle. Who is in charge of the noise we hear? Is it some guy sat in a porta-cabin pushing buttons or an algorithm that does everything these days?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The crowd noise should be biased in favour of home teams, as it's trying to replicate the situation as if fans were present, no?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I actually found myself watching the Spurs game without the crowd noise, and it was both strange but also realistic of the moment. It hit me how different it must be for the players.

As for last night, I found myself singing along a lot, we share most of the same chants with Liverpool.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've noticed that crowd noise seems to be biased in favour of certain clubs. I know the teams cant hear it, but the Anfield crowd booed firstly at the booking and then at the final whistle. Who is in charge of the noise we hear? Is it some guy sat in a porta-cabin pushing buttons or an algorithm that does everything these days?

I completely agree with you. Maybe its just my imagination but I think whoever does it for BT Sports is a Palace fan as the crowd noise always seems louder on their games. The chants on most games seem to be from teams who are attacking. Palace games that doesn't appear to be the case.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think he probably can work from home

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The crowd noise should be biased in favour of home teams, as it's trying to replicate the situation as if fans were present, no?

Yes seems to use 'home crowd' noise. Noticed for the Spurs game there was more 'Albion' songs than anything. Normally have the noise off as its irratating and F*** but i couldnt work it out for the Spurs game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I would quite like the job

It sounds fun.

So you have a preset of 20 or 30 sounds and you have to very quickly select the right one based on the action.

I reckon i'd be good at that. Where do I apply?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have found muting the TV completely during the match helps to keep my blood presure down during the game. The commentators were getting on my nerves, pratronising at best and making any frustration I was feeling quadruple. I don't hear running commentory when I am at a game just the occassional "Jesus Christ" or "FFS" so doing this makes it feel more real.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If only those of us listening to it on the radio had the option to turn the sound off, same as those of us whose watching is confined to MOTD.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I enjoy football best on Sky Sports 2 without the crowd noise, BT doesn't give that option without making the picture unwatchable

Press the red button to get rid of the crowd noise!
It took me a while to find it too, but it is so much better without pretend fan noise that doesn’t match up to the game and isn’t the noise the fans would be making at that time.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's based on the noise home crowds make. That's why it's really quiet for Arsenal matches.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Apparently, the premier league sounds are provided by EA Sport from the FIFA game but Championship teams can do their own thing (including crowd noise played in the stadium rather than just on the broadcast).
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...nting-with-match-atmosphere-in-empty-stadiums
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/sport/article/artificial-crowd-noises

I suspected that was the case.

While playing with the Albion on the game I always hear a solitary fan chanting "Seagulls" closely followed by (I assume) his child repeating it back. I've heard the same on the telly as well. Winds me right up although I'm not sure why...

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Worst of all is watching saints with crowd noise , constant coverage of both their songs with no response from the opposing team !

Up the Saints ! lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here