Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GP: I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thought this was worthy of its own thread... GP at the post game press conference yesterday, talking about BDB:

"I thought his performance was incredible. He gave everything, as he always does - wherever you ask him to play, he does his best. He just works so hard for the team. Like you said, we lost Joel so we had to think of a way to attack and felt that we could use Dan in the back post area and get him a bit higher up because sometimes you need to go over their pressure. Its not so easy to play through all the time and then Dan gives you a bit of an ? higher up the pitch. And then we just move - Solly actually likes playing on the right side - so we could use him there to maybe test Robertson on the inside and also combine with Pascal, so that was the thinking. If we would have got beat I would have been criticised for doing something, I'm sure, so... tonight's my night I guess.

I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football, ultimately. And so... I wouldn't listen to them, its just irrelevant to me. because Dan Burn just gives his best every day and he's played at the highest level. He's a fantastic example of what a top athlete should be, it doesnt go well every day, but he recovers, he fights, fights for the team - he is everything you want from a professional footballer so... just let the "experts" talk."

(7:30 onwards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1nyzqetzk

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Thought this was worthy of its own thread... GP at the post game press conference yesterday, talking about BDB:

"I thought his performance was incredible. He gave everything, as he always does - wherever you ask him to play, he does his best. He just works so hard for the team. Like you said, we lost Joel so we had to think of a way to attack and felt that we could use Dan in the back post area and get him a bit higher up because sometimes you need to go over their pressure. Its not so easy to play through all the time and then Dan gives you a bit of an ? higher up the pitch. And then we just move - Solly actually likes playing on the right side - so we could use him there to maybe test Robertson on the inside and also combine with Pascal, so that was the thinking. If we would have got beat I would have been criticised for doing something, I'm sure, so... tonight's my night I guess.

I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football, ultimately. And so... I wouldn't listen to them, its just irrelevant to me. because Dan Burn just gives his best every day and he's played at the highest level. He's a fantastic example of what a top athlete should be, it doesnt go well every day, but he recovers, he fights, fights for the team - he is everything you want from a professional footballer so... just let the "experts" talk."

Bang on baby - be amazing if we could ‘support’ our players the way GP does and maybe give the man some credit for trying things, of being an excellent YOUNG coach. I get the frustration in games but coming on the board and starting vitriolic threads on our own players is embarrassing. I love this team and what they’re doing. Being a Brighton fan has never been boring, it’s now FUN. And **** me we all need a bit of fun atm. Also
I’m a big fan of the OP, entertaining l, knowledgeable and positive. Shane there’s only one of him

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bang on baby - be amazing if we could ‘support’ our players the way GP does and maybe give the man some credit for trying things, of being an excellent YOUNG coach. I get the frustration in games but coming on the board and starting vitriolic threads on our own players is embarrassing. I love this team and what they’re doing. Being a Brighton fan has never been boring, it’s now FUN. And **** me we all need a bit of fun atm. Also
I’m a big fan of the OP, entertaining l, knowledgeable and positive. Shane there’s only one of him

Got to agree with all of that :)

:albion:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Its not so easy to play through all the time and then Dan gives you a bit of an outball higher up the pitch

BDB was used as an outball so much more last season from memory, for a player who looks like a kick-and-run player he has a good first touch and can take it down well.

Also he seems lovely. I can see why fans may turn against a player who seems a bit nasty, but he's a gentle giant.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

"A bit of an out-ball higher up the pitch"

Good response from Potter.

I love the way he supports & protects his squad - it's no wonder they want to play for him. The anti-Mourinho basically.

I also noticed that Klopp after the game was going on about learning from the game... where have I heard that before? :lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thanks for posting, an interesting listen.

Sounds like Solly will be out for sometime, so Burn will be staying in the team for the next few games at least.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
"A bit of an out-ball higher up the pitch"

I love the way he supports & protects his squad - it's no wonder they want to play for him. The anti-Mourinho basically.

That can't be true, there were many ITK on here saying he has lost the dressing room and the players weren't playing for him a few weeks ago

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good thread, [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]. A bit of effort went into that :thumbsup:

Oh, just a guess (not yet listened), maybe the missing '?' may have been 'edge'

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I don't mind when managers and players have (apparent) digs at fans, considering the amount of stick and verbals they receive, its only fair they can respond. If someone kept abusing me I'd have a go back

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't mind when managers and players have (apparent) digs at fans, considering the amount of stick and verbals they receive, its only fair they can respond. If someone kept abusing me I'd have a go back

Well yes.

Though I would say that Graham and the lads should stay off here and stay off twitter.

There are no fans in the stadia, so these defensive reactions can only be about what is being read online.

There's nothing for them to gain for them reading about what fans think

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thanks for posting, an interesting listen.

Sounds like Solly will be out for sometime, so Burn will be staying in the team for the next few games at least.

If fit, he was limping badly just before Zeqiri came on but recovered enough to see the game out so hopefully nothing to keep him out.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm glad he's got BDB's back. He had a couple of nightmares against Leicester & Wolves, so needed to know that his manager supports him. However, I hope that the unspoken message here is that GP accepts his own share of the responsibility for Dan's problems in those games. He will always work his hardest for the team, but when playing out wide against players like Justin & Traore, he needs the support of a more defensively minded midfielder in front of him. Potter's formation against Leicester was too attacking and didn't allow for this support and, against Wolves, he swapped Trossard and March part way through the half and left Burn exposed against one of the best direct runners in the league.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I’ve always loved BDB, as a player (especially love his audacious marauding up the pitch) and as a person, (although I don’t personally know him, obvs) as he always plays with a smile on his face and seems like a good guy. However, I had lately become a little nervous by mistakes made on the pitch, and assumed this was why he’d not been first picked for a while (BTW, I know nothing about football). But he was immense yesterday, so feeling like a very, very bad fan now. Go Dan, you’re the best!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here