Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back 3 or a back 4 from now on?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Blue-shifted, are you talking about changing the formation that has just got us a win at Anfield? Changing the defence that has just got us 4 clean sheets? Are you some sort of blithering idiot?

Ok, ok. Maybe you're right.

But I suppose i'm now adjusting to the reality that our wing back system relies on us having quality wing backs who can deliver in defence and attack.

Very sadly, i'm not sure we're seeing Solly or Tariq for a little while.

Now, we could have Veltman and Burn play there ... but they are blatantly both centre backs. Are either of them going to provide the sort of quality delivery that March did for the goal last night?

Or we could fast track Karbownik? In some matches we might.

But surely 4-3-3 looks a viable option for a while ... Just until we can get our first choice wing backs fit ... Something like

------------Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster Burn
---Gross White Bissouma
----MacAllister Trossard
------------Maupay

The main difference I suppose is that the width is more likely to come from the advanced players than the full backs

I see arguments for and against. What's your view?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Blue-shifted, are you talking about changing the formation that has just got us a win at Anfield? Changing the defence that has just got us 4 clean sheets? Are you some sort of blithering idiot?

But I suppose i'm now adjusting to the reality that our wing back system relies on us having quality wing backs who can deliver in defence and attack.

Now, we could have Veltman and Burn play there ... but they are blatantly both centre backs. Are either of them going to provide the sort of quality delivery that March did for the goal last night?

But surely 4-3-3 looks a viable option for a while ... Just until we can get our first choice wing backs fit ... Something like

------------Sanchez
---Gross White Bissouma
----MacAllister Trossard
------------Maupay

The main difference I suppose is that the width is more likely to come from the advanced players than the full backs

It depends how ready Karbownik is. Alzate could play at right wing back I think and I would prefer to retain the 3 centre halves.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Was thinking the same earlier, because however effective our formation is proving, if you end up having to shoe horn players like Alzate in there it could go wrong. If March, Lamptey and Veltman are out for the foreseeable, and Bernardo having left, we may well see the back 4 at times. And of course it is always in Potter's locker.

Personally I expect Veltman will be back soon, making this moot. And Karbownik could also be impressing in training, he's been on the bench last two games. So I expect GP will try and keep the same formation.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I've wanted us to shift to a back 4 at home for a while now as 5 at the back hasn't been working. I know we just beat Tottenham, but I'm not sure 5 at the back really works when we need to try and break teams down. Playing 4 at home would let us play with 1 or 2 wingers and would make us a little less predictable.

I'm fine if we continue to play 5 at the back away from home, even without Lamptey and March. Just hope that if we continue to be without both of them for some time, and our attacking threat diminishes in their absence, that Potter is willing to change it up.

If he's fit (Potter said he needed building up), it's a huge opportunity for Karbownik to get some minutes. Excited to see him play if he gets a chance!

el punal

------------Sanchez
---Gross White Bissouma
----MacAllister Trossard
------------Maupay

Let’s cut to the chase on this one. Let Graham Potter decide on whatever option is required. After all he is the one that has proved all the doubters wrong, and boy, there have been enough on here for starters. I, for one, trust his judgement, so let’s all do the same - relax and enjoy the ride!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Let’s cut to the chase on this one. Let Graham Potter decide on whatever option is required. After all he is the one that has proved all the doubters wrong, and boy, there have been enough on here for starters. I, for one, trust his judgement, so let’s all do the same - relax and enjoy the ride!

This is the right answer. Leave it to the boss to sort out firstly what we need to do to play against the next team, and secondly what we can do with the players who are available. Who would have thought Big Dan Burn would rise to the challenge as he did last night. Potter did.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

------------Sanchez
---Gross White Bissouma
----MacAllister Trossard
------------Maupay

It's more complex than that I feel because tactically GP isn't always symmetrical. You could say last night we were a back 4 on the left side where Burn played more as a conventional LB with Alzate in front of him, whereas on the right we were a back 3 with White tucked in and March a more conventional wingback. We therefore transitioned from a 3, to a 4 to a 5 at the back seemlessly throughout the game. I don't think you could put a 3 / 4 or 5 label on us last night, it was dynamic. It meant Salah and Trent-Arnold were nullified on their right, and Solly kept Robertson at bay allowing White to tuck in on our right. It suited our players, and directly countered their set up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

OK, from this moment forward. It's Graham's decision and i'll leave it to him

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
With both Lamptey, Veltman and March all potentially out it's going to be hard to stick with 3 at the back. Also a problem if MacAllister isn't back as we may need Alzate in midfield. I still think we should keep the team as similar as we possibly can though. Burnley are going to pose very different problems than Liverpool. I'd stick with 3 at the back Alzate at right wing back and Moder coming into midfield should Alexis not be available.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
both formations will be used at different times in games.

Won't be a one or other solution

For now , start with the shape that has got us flying again.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
That's a good idea, we've finally hit upon a tactic and shape which is getting wins. And you want to change it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Keep the back three together - they are the major reason (together with the confidence that BBS has given the defence) that we have looked so solid in the past few games.

I know White played in midfield at Leeds but he is (IMO) best as a centre back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's a good idea, we've finally hit upon a tactic and shape which is getting wins. And you want to change it.

I asked for your thoughts. See post 1

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I would stick with the back 3/5. Webster-Dunk-White have got their stride, if Karbownik comes in Webster can guide him through, right wing back I’m not so clear on, depends on many circumstances. If Mac is available Alzate can play there, you’d like to think Lamptey or Veltman would be back soonish.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Have to wait and see just before each game as has always been the case, Potter bamboozles the opposition nearly every game and I can't see that changing.
And anyway, whatever he starts with often changes a few times during a game depending on how its going.
I would not be surprised to see Tony Bloom in as rush goalie this weekend.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When we have a full squad - a back 5 is clearly our strongest set up, but when needs must
Assuming Ben White plays as RB in a four, I don't mind us adopting this approach, as I much prefer Webster on the right side (although he was superb last night on the left).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's more complex than that I feel because tactically GP isn't always symmetrical. You could say last night we were a back 4 on the left side where Burn played more as a conventional LB with Alzate in front of him, whereas on the right we were a back 3 with White tucked in and March a more conventional wingback. We therefore transitioned from a 3, to a 4 to a 5 at the back seemlessly throughout the game. I don't think you could put a 3 / 4 or 5 label on us last night, it was dynamic. It meant Salah and Trent-Arnold were nullified on their right, and Solly kept Robertson at bay allowing White to tuck in on our right. It suited our players, and directly countered their set up.

Is that the conventional LB who should have scored in the first half, being the furthest player forward or the one that had a header on target or the one that created the goal? Just asking

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

------------Sanchez
---Gross White Bissouma
----MacAllister Trossard
------------Maupay

What’s wrong with playing Burn there? Bloke was amazing last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here