Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Increase in Squad Value

Stumpy Tim

I was thinking about how the value of the squad has increased since the start of this season, with many players soaring in value:

White was worth £25m, must now be £40m
Lamptey hadn't played much, so maybe a few million back then... now being talked about at £50m
Bissouma was probaly a £20m player, now double that.
Sanchez was the 4th choice keeper, now 4 consecutive clean sheets.
MacAllister has come from getting the odd appearance to being integral to the way we play

Anyone else?

The only players I would say have dropped in value are Ryan and Propper

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The value of the squad has plummeted.

Nothing to do with what they have done.

Only clubs backed by sovereign wealth funds of oil rich states or oligarchs will be spending big any time soon. There are very few of those. Even Champions League income on it's own isn't going to fund big money moves for a year or probably more.

It's best not to think of them in terms of what they are worth to anyone else. They are worth more to us.

Stumpy Tim

The value of the squad has plummeted.

Nothing to do with what they have done.

Only clubs backed by sovereign wealth funds of oil rich states or oligarchs will be spending big any time soon. There are very few of those. Even Champions League income on it's own isn't going to fund big money moves for a year or probably more.

It's best not to think of them in terms of what they are worth to anyone else. They are worth more to us.

That was also the case at the start of the season. However, actually Covid does seem to be moving to a finale of sorts, and clubs will buy again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was thinking about how the value of the squad has increased since the start of this season, with many players soaring in value:

Lamptey hadn't played much, so maybe a few million back then... now being talked about at £50m
MacAllister has come from getting the odd appearance to being integral to the way we play

Anyone else?

Webster's stock must be very much on the rise. You wouldn't get him for £20m any more.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Anyone else?

I think you can triple that Bissouma value. He's the best in the division at what he does, a fantastic player.

I think pretty much most of the first team players values have gone up - all of the ones you've said but also Webster, March, Alzate, Veltman and Trossard. Partly because they could fit into a top side because of the way they play, all being comfortable on the ball.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
That was also the case at the start of the season. However, actually Covid does seem to be moving to a finale of sorts, and clubs will buy again

Also when you look at our squad the relative ages to value are also low so whilst if you buy a 25/26 year old at their peak they might still command the big big money moves, because the buying club knows the player should be able to influence their teams positively we can also point to realised potential but at a younger age.

It’s imperative we get all players locked into appropriately geared contracts of sufficient length to ensure any offers are the right side of £30m+ and that’s exactly what our shrew club are doing.

It would be different if all of our top performers were already at their peak because then a buying club would most likely issue a Covid tax on a take it or leave it basis knowing we have a depreciating asset on our books but they can’t take that approach with the younger players and it’s flipping marvellous.

Also means we won’t end up with a scenario like Palace have with Zaha. Whoever did that deal for them was a complete doughnut. They should have taken the money on the table from Arsenal. So so funny.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Anyone else?

March’s value must’ve soared along with Webster

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It doesn't matter if they're worth 50p or £50m they're all Brighton players at least until the end of the season. That is all that matters now.

where we finish and how we finish will determine who if anyone moves on or stays. what state the world, and more specifically whats left of the UK at that point is an entirely different matter, and discussion.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Players are only worth what another team is willing to pay for them. Luckily, all ours are shit so we can keep them for a few more years:)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Increased values all over the pitch, including most backup players and those who only had moderate success - club wouldnt let Trossard or Maupay go for the money they were bought for (not that I currently think there is many interested in buying them).

Someone mentioned Covid lowering values and this is true but most likely (I hope to God) temporary, another slow summer and most clubs at least in England should be recuperating, with lower costs (a lot of contracts that would normally be renewed wont be) and hopefully the return of matchday income. But summer will probably be quite slow. Several of the usual locomotives that gets transfer business going across Europe are unable to do so, especially the Spanish giants that are both broke and cant invest the £1bn they usually do that later gets spread across Europe.

But all that is hopefully temprorary. I think the next PL TV deal (starting in 2022) is going to have a much larger impact on what we can expect in the future when it comes to transfer sums. Most predictions point to the next TV deal probably being cheaper than the current one, and that should have significant impact. But to Brighton it should matter less - the increase in quality will negate most of the impact from a poor TV deal. If you are selling to Aston Villa, Everton or similar sized clubs, it would have bigger impact. Bayern, PSG, City and a few others - which is the level we're talking about when it comes to Webster/Lamptey/Bissouma - wont give a **** about the aftermaths of Covid or some TV deal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Rubbish. We know full well from those esteemed arbiters of all football knowledge (Leeds United fans) that White is worth at most £7.50 and will never amount to anything at a pokey club like ours.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Anyone else?

Excuse me, some of us were ahead of the curve then as whilst most here were keen to sell Ben White for Leeds £25m offer I recall making the case that it’d be terrible business for a young English player. And offers would have to be around £40-50m.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Rubbish. We know full well from those esteemed arbiters of all football knowledge (Leeds United fans) that White is worth at most £7.50 and will never amount to anything at a pokey club like ours.

He can't be worth that any more, he's only going to go backwards under Harry Potters grandad and forgetting everything that Bielsa taught him last season. We will be begging Leeds to take him off us on a free by the end of the season.

Stumpy Tim

It doesn't matter if they're worth 50p or £50m they're all Brighton players at least until the end of the season. That is all that matters now.

I think Bloom would disagree. He wants the club to be self-sustainable which really means selling a player for big money every 1 or 2 years. Apart from the style of football, it could also be argued that Hughton lost his job because of his hesitance to play the youngsters.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Veltman got to be woth a lot more than the £900k we paid even after only half a season. Fitting in really well.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Veltman got to be woth a lot more than the £900k we paid even after only half a season. Fitting in really well.

He was worth somewhat more than that when we got him, given he was a current regular in the Dutch national team.

He apparently had a €1M release clause in his Ajax contract specifically related to a PL club coming in for him. He's only just turned 29 (he's younger than Dunk!) so should have several more top flight years left in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here