Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Now for the elephant in the room

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Simple question. How do we get Potterball to work against teams that shut up shop? The last 3 wins have reinforced our main issue for me - Potterball is fantastic against teams that let us play or aren't fully at it. But Fulham, WBA, Sheff Utd, Burnley et al at home? Breaking through the lines and quick interplay doesn't work as well against 10/11 behind the ball. I guess this is the first time Potter has had this issue in his career - top quality defenders looking to spoil. Portsmouth in the LC showed how well the system works against a lesser defence who try the same thing. But our home record shows how we struggle when teams come to stop us.

So - what is the solution? I guess the xG stats suggest maybe it is just take our chances but it feels like it is more than that. Maybe a fit Wellbeck is the answer - if the opposition are sitting deep then crosses aren't currently our friend with midgets up front.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
This is down to tactics, try and make (let them have possession) the oppo start playing a bit up the park rather than letting them camp outside their area.
Many won't risk that and will play park-the-bus-and-counter-attack, esp against top clubs, however as we play possession style passing game, they often use similar tactics against us....

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In recent games we have attacked with MacAllister, Gross and Trossard pinging it about in tight spaces especially in the centre, and we also seemed to have got better at cutbacks from the byline. Rather than putting in a number of redundant crosses we have tried to pass and move it into the net. I think this suits those tight games where teams set up against us. Hopefully Mac will be back for Burnley on Saturday.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Klopp can't get Liverpool to play through these defences, so it won't be easy for GP to get us to

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Honestly the simple answer I think is to try and score more from set pieces. We get loads when we dominate possession and do very little with them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Simple question. How do we get Potterball to work against teams that shut up shop? The last 3 wins have reinforced our main issue for me - Potterball is fantastic against teams that let us play or aren't fully at it. But Fulham, WBA, Sheff Utd, Burnley et al at home? Breaking through the lines and quick interplay doesn't work as well against 10/11 behind the ball. I guess this is the first time Potter has had this issue in his career - top quality defenders looking to spoil. Portsmouth in the LC showed how well the system works against a lesser defence who try the same thing. But our home record shows how we struggle when teams come to stop us.

So - what is the solution? I guess the xG stats suggest maybe it is just take our chances but it feels like it is more than that. Maybe a fit Wellbeck is the answer - if the opposition are sitting deep then crosses aren't currently our friend with midgets up front.

I’m not sure there is much truth in your premise (whilst accepting the results DO lend weight to it).

The truth is that we have created plenty of scoring opportunities in most of those games, too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The answer to your question OP is two words.

Speed & width.

Speed, we need the passing when we are in the advanced third and we're knocking it around in front of them, to be quick enough that we're pulling them out of position and they can't get back

Width, we need to make the pitch big to pull their players out to us.

Some will of course, let us put the crosses in and take their chances with the clearance, we did this to Liverpool last night. I think Zeqiri will have a part to play

The loss of Solly and the continued absence of Tariq, will be a massive blow

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Whilst I agree with the synopsis, truth is that we've not been short of chances against any of those sides (Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd, WBA etc) - we just haven't had the clinicality to take them. I'm hopeful that with the team gelling so much better, and building in confidence up front and in defence, the second half of the season should be better than the first.

Welbeck would make a very welcome return - our second string strikers won't worry big defences closing up shop, but he will. Hopefully Lamptey and Izquierdo will have big roles to play too - both of them will get behind defences if they're fit.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Fulham were played off the pitch after their opening 10 mins of trying to force play. The ball was passed through Fulham like they were not there.

I think mixing up the passing with someone who will run at the defenders would help.
As we all know, getting the ball in the net 8s the big issue.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think such events are where we still need an option of a target man. Maupay has had a few chances with crosses in recent games and fluffed them (one last night and one on Sunday stand out), think this is one area we need to find something.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don't necessarily think it's a failure to break down some of those sides when they put 10 or 11 behind the ball. Taking the 4 games you've mentioned (WBA, Fulham, Burnley and Sheff Utd at The Amex) it was only the West Brom game we really struggled to create chances, just 5 shots in the match and only 3 on target. The other 3 games we created 56 chances but only managed to get 13 shots on target and scored just one goal. It's clear we can create chances to win most games but the same old problem, composure in front of goal and a lack of a clinical finisher let us down.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The answer to the OP question is simple if you ask the Potter Out Campaign; sack the manager.

However, to the non-reactionary and to those who see more than just the surface results and old football cliches, there has been something else going on. I was really interested to see MoTD finally nail the home advantage myth there’s been for the last year. Yes - under normal circumstances there is one but in the Premier League this season, the away teams are winning the most matches. Our players were inspired to play at Anfield last night, you could see it. With no crowd or noise to put them off and support the opposition, they thrives.

Teams will try and attack Brighton on their own turf, wherever they are in the league. This plays into our game. We get the space and time in the attacking third that teams like Leeds, Liverpool & Spurs give you when they are committing top class attacking talent into your half rather parking the bus Dyche style.

So for the considerate fan, the answer for now is to re-set your expectations. Expect a draw at home and a win away.

I’m expecting a win a turf moor but I’m convinced that we’re going to draw against Newcastle at home.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not sure there is much truth in your premise (whilst accepting the results DO lend weight to it).

The truth is that we have created plenty of scoring opportunities in most of those games, too.

It’s this, just take your chances and then let the teams come out at us a bit.... 2-0 game over.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Each time I watch the Sheff Utd highlights, it’s clear that there were at least 4 goals there for someone like Wilson, Bamford, Ings or Wood; strikers from the lower half of the table who take their big chances.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Maybe but our best performances have almost exclusively been against bigger teams or teams that have tried to go toe to toe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think such events are where we still need an option of a target man. Maupay has had a few chances with crosses in recent games and fluffed them (one last night and one on Sunday stand out), think this is one area we need to find something.

This but could that ‘target man’ be Welbeck or Zeqiri. With our financial loses, I think the club would prefer to stick with that pair rather than summer spunking?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

I think you're right. We scored early against Newcastle, they had to come out at us and then we picked them apart. If we take the chances we create, and particularly if we score early, we'll beat the teams currently below us in the table.

I've noticed another difference recently. We seem to have permission to hit the ball earlier. We seem to be playing fewer passes when in shooting positions (lots last nigth for example). I wonder if this is confidence or a small tweak in thinking? The effect on spoiling teams will be to make it harder for them to simply drop deep and crowd us out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit harsh on Shaqiri.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here