Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The goal against Liverpool - liquid football

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I logged onto NSC this evening expecting there to already be a thread about this...

The match was at 1:15pm my time today, and I was working; I watched it in the office, delayed, but even then I was somewhat distracted. So when I got home this evening I watched the whole thing again (well, you would, wouldn't you?).

The commentator on NBC make a comment about the move (that ultimately produced the goal) while it was still in progress, so I went back and analysed the whole thing. It started with a loose Liverpool pass deflecting off another Red and into the path of Bissouma. This was then the sequence of "possessions", with the number indicating the number of touches by each player:-

Bissouma - 2
Trossard - 3
Alzate - 2
Webster - 1
Burn -1
Maupay - 2
Burn - 1
Trossard - 1
Bissouma - 1
Gross - 4
March - 4
Burn - 1
Trossard - 1
Alzate - 1

So, a move that stretched three-quarters of the pitch, with 14 different possessions. 8 different Albion players were involved, there were 25 touches in total, and there were 8 one-touch involvements (including all 3 by Burn).

And all this against the Premier League Champions.

Away from home.

Is this the highest-quality, team goal that Brighton and Hove Albion have ever scored?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It may be, but I was also (probably more so) impressed with the goal against Leeds.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Thanks - I’ve just watched it again and you’re right, it’s a ridiculously incredible team goal. Burns involved twice in his own half, switches play and turns up at far post to assist. :bowdown:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I agree about the move and the involvement - magic. But the goal itself had the feel of a bit of fortune about it rather than a lovely clean strike. However, as you say, to have a move like that against a team like Liverpool, especially following on from the Leeds goal - wonderful.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great team goal, but the slightly fortunate nature of the finish counts against it a little. The goal at Leeds was superb, but still out at the top is Izquierdo at Stoke (“Am I watching Brighton, or Barcelona, Johnny?”)

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The first half of the build up was possibly even more impressive than the second half, and I was gutted they cut it from MOTD.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Great team goal, but the slightly fortunate nature of the finish counts against it a little. The goal at Leeds was superb, but still out at the top is Izquierdo at Stoke (“Am I watching Brighton, or Barcelona, Johnny?”)

Just watched Izquierdo's goal again off the back of your post. Magnificent. On song, he's quite the player - I miss him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Someone please find a clip of the whole thing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s quite funny to see the Potter Out Campaign turn on Burn and the choice to play him at LWB at the beginning of the game on the match-day thread. I wasn’t immune as I criticised his finishing.

However, his part in the goal can not be underestimated. The swinging one touch pass to Tross from the flank to the middle of the park was nothing short of sublime, Burn then knows exactly what he should be doing; sprinting to the far post in order to head back across goal. Outstanding play from the big man in that move and for 95% of the match.

But please don’t just take my word for it, Klopp picks out the positioning and performance of Burn as a tactic that they failed to deal with. He also said he needs to watch the game again to understand what went wrong!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nice

But from my slightly drunken memory the passing move goes back quite a bit further than that

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not as good a team goal as Leeds imo. Just because of the scrappy finish. Great build up though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I remember when Gross got on the ball thinking that needs to go out to March and i was a little annoyed that Gross carried the ball instead of playing it quicker. Had he done so Burn probably doesn't get into the box in time, March would have had fewer options to cross to or would have been closed down waiting for Burn to get there. Superb play and movement by all of them, what a goal, sublime. I do still prefer the other goals mentioned in this thread but it's up there. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here