Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we still worrying about WBA, Sheff Utd and Fulham's results?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
which will be perfect for us, great chance to blood our new players who are coming through

Yes there might be some u23 squads out for 5 or 6 mid table teams in a few weeks if managers have their way, although chairman might think differently at 1.2 mill per place.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just need to look up from now

We're closer to FC Chelsea and Tottenham in the table than FC Fulham...

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Without our recent surge in form and gaining ten points out of four games (I bet most would have thought only three) we’d be in a right pickle....shows how things can change

Conversely, had we won some of the games we were comfortable in earlier on in the season, we would be challenging for Europe!
In pleased we are now getting the results we deserve and look forward to seeing how high we can climb.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes there might be some u23 squads out for 5 or 6 mid table teams in a few weeks if managers have their way, although chairman might think differently at 1.2 mill per place.

Actually I wasn't thinking about u23 squad players more Moder, Karbownik, Tau and even our newest acquisition

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We have 8 tracker points to play for over the next 4 games, and these are precisely the games we have struggled in previously.
Lose 3 of them and you can forget looking up the table for a while,

I seem to remember winning 3 games 1-0 under CH and similar conversations were being had back then too.
This is somewhat different I'll grant you, but I'll be looking both ways for a few games yet.

I’d take a point against Burnley right now.

Absolutely. Winning a few games now means draws are OK results and not put you in the shite outcomes

We have 8 tracker points to play for over the next 4 games, and these are precisely the games we have struggled in previously.
Lose 3 of them and you can forget looking up the table for a while,

I seem to remember winning 3 games 1-0 under CH and similar conversations were being had back then too.
This is somewhat different I'll grant you, but I'll be looking both ways for a few games yet.

Agreed again - Hughton got to our current total much quicker back then. The difference is that was the Championship leftover squad on the verge of collapsing through age and ability limits, and signings that were failing. Now, we’ve had a lot of investment in the squad since then, the money spent on the academy is producing, and our depth is good, we shrugged off the two absences last night easily. This is the best squad of players the Albion has ever had. Potter has at last gelled them nicely. It will be a surprise now if we don’t comfortably beat the record 41pts

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The great majority are still looking at the current bottom three's results.

Fair enough, but, I'm not.

I'm thinking .....

1) How far up the league can we get? Can we get above Palace? Can we beat our best points total?

2) Can we beat Leicester in the cup? To me this is our biggest game of the season now. Get through that and start to dream of glory at Wembley

3) What can we do this season to avoid being in a mess next season. Can we get our young players (even) more game time? In particular, the polish lads, Zeqiri, even Caicedo. Can we get the confidence back into our goalscorers? Can we get Alzate back to the levels of last season?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We have the same number of points after 22 games as last year , and 2 points down on the year before (26 points).

So I am being cautious and wishing the bottom three continue to flounder. However, we do seem to be playing some lovely stuff and cannot see us having such a bad second half of the season as the first so I will also keep an eye on the results of Leeds , Southampton, Palace , Wolves , Burnley & Newcastle with the optimistic view of finishing above them all !

UTA :albion2:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Imagine the league table wild we WERE to beat Burnley. Pressures off a little, but it would basically secure a 5th year in the prem for me. A repeat of the end of last season would be fantastic!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its actually pretty similar - to where we were in the previous 3 seasons - for game 22
17/18 - 23pts, 18/19 - 26 pts,, 19/20 - 24 pts, and now 20/21 - 24pts

What’s your gut on eclipsing the 41 mark this term? I know we’re on a feel good wave, but I think we’ll beat it and get 42+ personally...!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Its actually pretty similar - to where we were in the previous 3 seasons - for game 22

The big difference to last year, though, is that the bottom three are really cut adrift. OK, we have the same number of points as the same stage last year, but in 2019/20 the bottom 3 (Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich) had secured 14 victories between them, and a total of 55 points. This season's comparatives are 7 (seven) victories and 37 points.

I'm continuing to be cautious, but also aware of the fact that the three teams currently in the relegation spots just don't win many games!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Edit - Chailey has answered my question just a few posts back

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There’ll still be rocky spells of results for us this season.

But what an amazing position to be in by 3rd February. With our excellent GD, Fulham have to exceed whatever additional points we gain, by 11 ... 3 wins and 2 draws. In an ever diminishing number of fixtures, when they couldn’t by a win.

Our unlikely wins over both of the 2019 CL finalists, was a hammer blow for WBA, SheffUtd and Fulham, and would’ve pissed off Burnley, Newcastle and Nigel supporters.

Whilst our players will now have great confidence going into games, our attacking midfielders and strikers can breathe, goals might be easier to come by.

Good times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

But what an amazing position to be in by 3rd February. With our excellent GD, Fulham have to exceed whatever additional points we gain, by 11 ... 3 wins and 2 draws. In an ever diminishing number of fixtures, when they couldn’t by a win.

Our unlikely wins over both of the 2019 CL finalists, was a hammer blow for WBA, SheffUtd and Fulham, and would’ve pissed off Burnley, Newcastle and Nigel supporters.

Whilst our players will now have great confidence going into games, our attacking midfielders and strikers can breathe, goals might be easier to come by.

Good times.

Cannot underestimate how pissed off the clubs below us and just above will be with our last two unexpected victories, just like us when Burnley won at Anfield but ours was a double whammy. As you say confidence will be back now and some pressure off. No doubt Potter will make sure there’s no flip flop wearing just yet

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Until we are technically safe, I shan't be looking anywhere but at the teams below us. A month ago, it looked like we could be in real trouble and despite a fantastic turnaround, we're still yet to get a result against a team playing defensively against us this season.

Cautiously optimistic that we can improve upon the final performance of the last three seasons at this point, but as Scott Parker said last night, "There's 17 football matches to play..." (16 in our case) and there still plenty of work to be done.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Good times.

This is an excellent point.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Until we are technically safe, I shan't be looking anywhere but at the teams below us. A month ago, it looked like we could be in real trouble and despite a fantastic turnaround, we're still yet to get a result against a team playing defensively against us this season.

Cautiously optimistic that we can improve upon the final performance of the last three seasons at this point, but as Scott Parker said last night, "There's 17 football matches to play..." (16 in our case) and there still plenty of work to be done.

Let's not lie to ourselves, who hasn't looked at Wolves, Palace, Southampton and Leeds up and coming fixtures?

You really haven't looked anywhere but below us, not even a sneeky peek? :whistle::albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here