Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Doing It Differently- Why I'm Glowing For Potter

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
“We did the basics very well. Structure and shape, and individual diligence. …..But I’ve always believed in the side to find a moment, and we had a couple. They were probing, they were calm around the box, but our diligence was excellent. We don’t lack belief. We lack a bit of talent sometimes, in the key areas up front, but we have never lacked belief. It’s the reality of what we do, the challenge….. Do the basics right to keep you in it, and find a moment, and tonight we found a moment. We know we’re going to have to find bigger moments but this has put us in a better position.”

That could be Graham Potter, but it was actually Sean Dyche after ending Liverpool’s 68 match unbeaten run at Anfield.

And this is why I am glowing for Potter tonight. The approach to the game was perfect.

We’ve been so used to this free flowing football but lamenting the lack of end product. Whilst Albion did push forward and create far more than Burnley did, it was clear that their performance had offered a kind of blue-print for how to frustrate Liverpool away.

And Potter wasn’t shy of a performance that would frustrate the life out of them based on a kind of team murmuration between defence and attack. Not a one-trick pony, but a truly adaptable quality coach.

For long periods it was the scrappiest performance I can remember seeing in recent times, but among the most tactically astute. If this is how you beat Liverpool away then so be it.

And they did.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've felt for some time the difference was in our decision making, players understanding not just the system and their role but what the other roles are and how they compliment each other. A win vs Burnley and 2021 will already be better than 2020

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here