Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Covid/Holiday 2021 Mumsnet Question #56576574

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Due to last years travel disruptions, I have British Airways travel vouchers that need to be used towards a booking. To be booked by end of this month.
Departure dates will have to be any they currently have available

Not holding my breath on normal summer European destinations being a viable option this year either.

If you had to take a safe Covid allowing gamble, and book somewhere, where would it be?
Does the U.S look viable for Autumn onwards?

I'm not in the over 50's bracket, so cant see a vaccine for myself on the horizon, if that is what destinations will start requesting.
Idea on a virtual postcode.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Narnia - Self Catering

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Due to last years travel disruptions, I have British Airways travel vouchers that need to be used towards a booking. To be booked by end of this month.

Not holding my breath on normal summer European destinations being a viable option this year either.

If you had to take a safe Covid allowing gamble, and book somewhere, where would it be?

I'm not in the over 50's bracket, so cant see a vaccine for myself on the horizon, if that is what destinations will start requesting.

I think the US will be a challenge, I’d look at the Caribbean or perhaps Dubia?

Edit, are you going with DH?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've got a couple of BA Caribbean flights booked (May and Oct - one using up vouchers and one holiday rebooked from last year) - most of the islands are pretty much open for business now and flight availability is good for later in the year (and good value if you're flexible) - importantly most hotels can be booked on a fully flexible basis. Will I get to go ? God knows................but happy to book on the chance I can. Desperate to get away somewhere soon !

When booking using your vouchers, check carefully on the T&C/flexibility of the actual flight you're booking - might still be able to change it (probably for a fee) which will give you further flexibility, even if you can't get vouchers back

Incidentally I've found BA exceptionally good and helpful through all this.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I'd look at it, is that you can't plan anything with any certainty, so don't plan anything at all.

Like the last bloke said, your vouchers are safe. So just plan to stay local this year. There's loads more better stuff near where you live than you've accounted (and I don't know where you live) for so take the chance to enjoy that. If an opportunity presents itself at the last minute, go for it ... but it probably won't

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have flights booked for Florida for July into August, but I'd put the chance of being on them at something like 20/80 right now.

Essentially for most people to be able to holiday, including travelling direct from A to B (ie not "quarantining" in a safe country for 7, 10 or 14 days en route), then you're going to want:

- No need to provide negative test (yes, yes - some can and will do this, but for a typical working family of four, that's quite an expense) on the way out.
- No need to quarantine upon arrival (going for two weeks in the sun doesn't really work if you have to spend 7, 10 or 14 nights in a hotel room first)
- No need to provide negative test on the way back (see above)
- No need to quarantine upon return (many people need to get back to work, or, hopefully kids to school etc)

Yes, there will be people who could easily deal with some of those inconveniences, but plenty couldn't.

This is a reminder for me to book a contingency house or cottage in this country before they all go!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Cancun, Mexico.... Currently Mexico has no restrictions on people arriving from the Uk. ......My son, a tad optimistic has booked flights in early April.

Plus, BA fly there.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cash the vouchers in. You won't be going far

D

Deleted member 2719

IOW will be sorted come July.

It will be bouncing like Magaluf this year.

Keep the faith, stay green and buy British.

Winners all round.:rave:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The way I'd look at itj, is that you can't plan anything with any certainty, so don't plan anything at all.

Like the last bloke said, your vouchers are safe. So just plan to stay local this year. There's loads more better stuff near where you live than you've accounted (and I don't know where you live) for so take the chance to enjoy that. If an opportunity presents itself at the last minute, go for it ... but it probably won't

Is the correct answer!!!!!"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The way I'd look at it, is that you can't plan anything with any certainty, so don't plan anything at all.

Watched first episode of Rick Stein's Secret France last night. Not been to Dieppe for years, not since the Argus used to do £1 vouchers for foot passengers, but looked well worth a bit of a re-visit for a gastronomic mini-break without any of the airport faff

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Watched first episode of Rick Stein's Secret France last night. Not been to Dieppe for years, not since the Argus used to do £1 vouchers for foot passengers, but looked well worth a bit of a re-visit for a gastronomic mini-break without any of the airport faff

Hope you have a lovely time :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is the correct answer!!!!!"

Not for me. Would be kicking myself if (I know it’s a big if) things were much more open in a few months and I didn’t have anything booked. As long as everything is refundable I’ll keep punting on trips being doable. It’ll work eventually. I’m booking UK stuff as well so covering all bases :)

No-one knows when things will open up, but as they do the pent-up demand will drive prices through the roof.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm planning to take a walk through as many of Swedens 299 towns as possible this summer. Travelling abroad will probably not be an option for those of us too young (and in my case, not interested) to be vaccinated at that point.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'll look into that, last email was a reminder that they are due to expire this month.

:bowdown:

If it’s an FTV (future travel voucher) in theory you can book a new trip, and then cancel to get another voucher and it will have the expiry date of April 2023.

But you’re should have extended I guess ? Been so many iterations though don’t get caught out

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here