Date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021
Kick-off: 20:15 GMT
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Simon Beck, Adrian Holmes
Fourth Official: Paul Tierney
VAR: Simon Hooper
Additional VAR: Derek Eaton

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool forward Sadio Mane could be fit after the minor muscle problem that kept him out of the win over West Ham.

James Milner's tight hamstring will be monitored and Joel Matip is out for the season, but deadline day signings Ben Davies and Ozan Kabak may be involved.

Brighton's Joel Veltman came off during the weekend win over Tottenham with muscle tightness and is a doubt.

Alexis Mac Allister, who played all of that game, will be assessed after complaining of a glute issue.

The Seagulls are already without several players, including Tariq Lamptey and Danny Welbeck, who have thigh and knee injuries respectively.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton haven't beaten Liverpool in the league since March 1982, a run of nine matches (D2, L7).
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost eight of their past nine away league games against Liverpool.
    [*=left]Liverpool are unbeaten in 12 competitive fixtures against Brighton since a 2-0 defeat in the FA Cup fourth round in January 1984.
Liverpool

• [*=left]Liverpool are aiming to win three consecutive league matches for the first time since their opening three games of the season.
    [*=left]Only Manchester City have earned more points and scored more goals at home in this season's Premier League than Liverpool, who have won seven of their 10 games at Anfield and scored 21 times.
    [*=left]However, the Reds have failed to win or score in either of their last two home league matches. They haven't failed to score in three consecutive home league games since October 1984 under Joe Fagan.
    [*=left]After their 68-game unbeaten home run in the Premier League ended against Burnley last time out, Liverpool are in danger of losing successive league fixtures at Anfield for the first time since 2012.
    [*=left]They have kept just three clean sheets in their 10 home games this season.
    [*=left]Goalkeeper Alisson has kept 49 clean sheets in 111 appearances for Liverpool in all competitions.
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have won two of their past three league games, and three of the last four in all competitions.
    [*=left]They are looking to keep four consecutive league clean sheets for the first time in the top flight,
    [*=left]There have been a total of just three goals in Brighton's past four league games.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost all seven of their away league matches against reigning top-flight champions, scoring just twice and conceding 19 goals.
    [*=left]Five of Neal Maupay's seven league goals this season have come away from home.

Graham Potter's Liverpool Press Conference

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
4.15am kick off here, I think that I will be good to get in the second half, as I am usually wide awake at 5am these days.
:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
These games are coming around quickly, love it.

Cautiously optimistic we might get something with Liverpool’s CB woes. Sanchez is likely to be as busy as he’s been since he came into the team though. Can him and the defence keep out an inform Liverpool attack? Looking forward to it

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Very optimistic for this one, I'll be disappointed with less than 3 points and a sackful of goals.
And yet another clean sheet, obviously.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I have zero expectations for this one. Of all the clubs it is just them and Man. C that I don’t think we are able to beat.
So I am relaxed about it, save the stress for the weekend. Mind you, you never know?

I agree. This is one of those games I consider a write-off as far as getting 3 points is concerned. A draw would be fantastic, but if we can avoid a 5-0 or 6-0 drubbing (which might damage morale and confidence, as well as our superior goal difference), I'll be well satisfied.

On the other hand, I'm quietly optimistic that we can get a result at Burnley on Saturday.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Pretty chilled on this one, my head says it's a nailed on win for Liverpool but there is always a sneaky chance we could nick a point, just hope we keep the performance level up and avoid a drubbing and injuries to set us up for Burnley.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
No expectations for this one. We certainly have it in us to get the 3 points, but coming away with 1 would be decent still

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If both Man City & Leicester do the business, I will sit back and enjoy a decent game of free flowing attractive attacking football.
Leaving my wobbly, anxiety ridden, doom monger head in the cupboard until Saturday....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Free hit really so I hope the boys go and play with some freedom, confidence and discipline. Keep Ali Mac for Burnley and start with Lallana. My only worry is that Ben White will be played at RB and BDB will be back in the starting XI - he's badly out of form and looks lacking in confidence. I don't fancy his (or our) chances against Firmino, Mane and Salah.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think we can do this, we’re playing alright at the moment.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'd be extremely happy with a draw (a win even better, obvs). However, I feel my pre-match readiness won't be sorted until I'm aware of their most famous supporter, being advised that her boys are gonna take a hell of a beating...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just glanced at a Liverpool forum. They're talking of "giving them a pasting" and "tearing them a new one", while they discuss which players they'll rest before the tough game at the weekend.

Mind you, one poster talks about how Brighton will park the bus and try to sneak a goal, which suggests he hasn't seen us much this season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just glanced at a Liverpool forum. They're talking of "giving them a pasting" and "tearing them a new one", while they discuss which players they'll rest before the tough game at the weekend.

Mind you, one poster talks about how Brighton will park the bus and try to sneak a goal, which suggests he hasn't seen us much this season

I'm hoping this is the prevailing attitude among their players as well.

Quietly confident

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Free hit really so I hope the boys go and play with some freedom, confidence and discipline. Keep Ali Mac for Burnley and start with Lallana. My only worry is that Ben White will be played at RB and BDB will be back in the starting XI - he's badly out of form and looks lacking in confidence. I don't fancy his (or our) chances against Firmino, Mane and Salah.

Burn is likely to come in yes.

In the back 3, he'll be fine

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Might Alzate get a game at RWB with Veltman a doubt ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

More likely White will go to RWB and Burn will come into the defence.

If MacAllister is also out then Alzate has a chance of being called in to the side. Though more likely Lallana or Connolly. But we're not short of options

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Everything points to the usual defeat for us at Anfield, they probably will beat us and I full expect a grinning Klopp to be waxing lyrical about his boys and a condescending nod about plucky Brighton. But as a greater man than me once said "It's a funny old game", and I really, really, want to see Klopp's toothy face and endless rant if we do an 'Albion' and stuff them, followed by the 'Grave' studio inquest about how Liverpool allowed this travesty to happen. Also, my daughters fiancé is a nice enough guy, but also happens to be a plastic Liverpool supporter, so the abuse and all round p*ss taking I intend to fire relentlessly at him will know no bounds!

Make it so boys, make it so.

:ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here