Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elvis Costello help required

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Right, I like pretty much every Elvis Costello album that I've heard. I remember buying King Of America, Blood and Chocolate & Spike when they came out and picked up most of the previous albums over the years but the only album I have listened to from the last 30 years is 'Wise Up Ghost' (which is terrific).

This strikes me as absurd.

There are a number of contributing factors:

1) Throwing Muses, Pavement, P J Harvey, everything on Shimmy Disc etc. etc. coming along and taking my money.
2) In the 90s people stopped buying vinyl so they don't turn up in second hand shops as much.
3) Rightly or wrongly, me deciding that he'd disappeared up his own arse.

Any recommendations as to albums since 1990 that I should check out?

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
1996's 'All This Useless Beauty' is the pick of the bunch for me. 'Mighty Like A Rose', 'Brutal Youth' and all of his twenty first century albums have their moments, but I think that 'All This Useless Beauty' is consistently great all the way through. Vinyl could be tricky, but second hand CD copies are pretty common.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I loved his early stuff and saw him at The Suite. I still have Almost Blue and Spike on vinyl. But sorry, I can't help you. I think he thinks he's a better singer than he is and I just don't enjoy his voice anymore, all 'listen to me, I've found my vibrato' mojo. I heard his latest single a few weeks ago in the background and thought it sounded interesting. On investigating further I thought the vocal was just beyond his capability. Shame. For a while I bought everything he produced.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
While his albums from the 70s and 80s contain most of my faves I also would vote for All This Useless Beauty and Brutal Youth from the 90s - I have them on cassette!! Kinder Murder from BY is a classic. I find with much of his post 2000 stuff that I love a few tracks on an album but rarely most of them - he continues to be so diverse. His 2004 album The Delivery Man contains a country song with the wonderful Emmylou Harris that is just exquisite - Heart Shaped Bruise. I also like his delve into working with opera singer Anne Sofie Von Otter in 2001 - For The Stars. Such a talented guy

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
[video]https://g.co/kgs/tZL6Ua[/video]

On an alternate route, this album by his Mrs, co written by EC, is worth a listen.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Two collaborations: Painted From Memory with Burt Bacharach, and The River in Reverse with Allen Toussaint.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The new one Hey Clockface is very good.

All This Useless Beauty is mega expensive on vinyl. Brutal Youth has recently been re released on vinyl so is easily found.

Try Taking Liberties (or the uk version which is called Ten Bloody Marys & Ten Hows Your Fathers), Kojak Variety and Out of Our Idiot.

I am a very big fan and I guess everyone has their preferred eras depending on age. I dont think you can beat the first 8 albums though.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think he did an album of his fathers greatest hits I think it's called secret lemonade drinker

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Right, I like pretty much every Elvis Costello album that I've heard. I remember buying King Of America, Blood and Chocolate & Spike when they came out and picked up most of the previous albums over the years but the only album I have listened to from the last 30 years is 'Wise Up Ghost' (which is terrific).

1) Throwing Muses, Pavement, P J Harvey, everything on Shimmy Disc etc. etc. coming along and taking my money.
2) In the 90s people stopped buying vinyl so they don't turn up in second hand shops as much.

Extraordinary. Apart from what took our respective fancies I too have exactly the same experience and have heard and bought nothing of his since 1990. I saw him 3 times in the 70s, twice on the legendary Stiff tour.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Bought his Armed Forces in the 70s, vinyl of course, er nothing since is this a record...........gerrit

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I saw him a the Colston Hall in Bristol about 4 years ago..... a good size venue, he was shiiite... I think he decided to play the most obscure set he could pick,... and only once did the crowd get animated,.... when he played Oliver's Army... and he even bloody murdered that.... worst gig I have ever seen, ever, out of many many hundreds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I’d not heard that Secret, Profane and Sugarcane album before.
It’s a great find so thanks Juan Albion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here