Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Folding@Home

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
No, this isn't a thread about our home form up until this Sunday but about the distributed computing project Folding@Home.

In very simple terms it simulates the way proteins fold and this can help find avenues of research for ways to fight them, yes, including Covid-19.

Are there any other Folders on NSC or is there even an NSC team that I can contribute to? I'm a member of a team of a website that I haven't visited in about 10 years so don't really feel invested in them anymore.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Have these ever achieved anything? Did one years and years ago that was a screensaver that was going to cure cancer or somesuch.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
0e738e7469d46f496a7c7dbd264661d0.gif

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Have these ever achieved anything? Did one years and years ago that was a screensaver that was going to cure cancer or somesuch.

Led to a few discoveries including in Ebola.

It's not as if you're going to find a cure for cancer just by running the program, but by doing this it means that researchers don't have to have multiple supercomputers running these simple but time consuming projections. Shortly after they announced they were working on Covid-19 they hit a computing power of a billion billion operations per second, the most powerful computing network ever I believe.

Guardian story on how Folding worked on the spike protein back in March.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As every ex matelot knows, everything should be folded to the size of the Admiralty seamanship manual 1937.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here