Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Boxing and the Mob BBC 1/2 9pm

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Anyone watch it?

Very well put together documentary by Darragh MacIntyre (Donal's brother) about MTK and the Kinahan crime family.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is a feature up on the BBC News app, I read it while I was having my morning cuppa. Very brave work by those involved in the story, its really scary how money from serious crime dominates British boxing.

Even scarier is the fact that it seems almost impossible to pin anything on those involved.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wonder if this explains Tyson Fury pulling out of SPOTY

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought it was a like every other Panarama episode....it's alleged soandso did XYZ which sparked a backlash from whatshisname who allegedly ordered ABC to be done. Even down to the obligatory quote from the lawyers saying he's an upstanding member of the community (until you get something to stick).

Who'd have thought there might be a few dodgy characters involved in boxing.....stop the world I want to get off.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone watch it?

Very well put together documentary by Darragh MacIntyre (Donal's brother) about MTK and the Kinahan crime family.

I would use the word Pikeys. Anyone who objects with my terminology is just denying the truth.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would use the word Pikeys. Anyone who objects with my terminology is just denying the truth.

I don't think the Kinahan's are 'pikeys' are they?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Mrs H is from Romany heritage and the word is pikey is deemed as offensive as the n word for black people.

A far cry from a Minder episode where Arthur described some travellers using the self same word.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think the Kinahan's are 'pikeys' are they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutch–Kinahan_feud

Not going to enter into definitions of Pikey. These are Irish criminal gangs who without doubt have links back to the ‘travelling community’.

Personally I would NEVER do business with anything other than major hitters in Irish business, even then having weighed up the possible risks and benefits.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Not going to enter into definitions of Pikey. These are Irish criminal gangs who without doubt have links back to the ‘travelling community’.

Personally I would NEVER do business with anything other than major hitters in Irish business, even then having weighed up the possible risks and benefits.

Nice Wikipedia - but neither Traveller / gypsy / pikey is mentioned at all. Struggling to see your point? Or is it just a bit of casual Australian racism ? ???

I'm assuming you're not some kind of drug kingpin, so why would you be concerned about doing business with 'The Irish' ?

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Hugely impressed by Barry McGuigans bravery, will have to spend years looking over his shoulder and fearful for his family.

Obviously the Kinahans are willing to murder family members of their "enemies" .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Kinahan thing is interesting though, I've been following it for a couple of years now. He was operating out of the middle east, but a few of his Irish associates were arrested / deported but so far Kinahan has remained out of the spotlight. Rumoured not to be able to go back to Spain for fear of arrest and being handed over. The big risk is if the US get involved that could well be home toast.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mrs H is from Romany heritage and the word is pikey is deemed as offensive as the n word for black people.

A far cry from a Minder episode where Arthur described some travellers using the self same word.

I have no beef with you or Mrs Ian. We have all met and eaten and drank at the same table in the past. I also am very fond of the work you did with GE all those years ago.

But........

Me and you come from the same background, I will call it as I see it. The Irish travelling community have a reputation for being ********s, and in my view it is spot on. There may well be exceptions, but stereotypes are not imaginary, they are just based on original experiences. There is good and bad in ALL groups of people, but if someone objects to being labelled in some way then they know that there is a truth in that label.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hasn’t there always been dirty money in boxing?
From Mafia involvement in betting scams in the States to Don King( whatever happened to him?) a convicted killer, let’s not forget.
Frank Warren getting shot by an unidentified assailant, that doesn’t happen in any other sport.

I love boxing, but, for all the good it does with young people at the lower end of society, it has , and always has had a very murky underbelly.
In my opinion, this will blow over, a few cosmetic sanctions against MTK, and the media and general public will move on, and in a few years everything will be back as it is now, because, as in all things, money talks the loudest.

Hats off to Barry McGuigan, that is a very brave thing to do,to take a stand against one of the allegedly biggest gangster families in Europe.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Kinahan thing is interesting though, I've been following it for a couple of years now. He was operating out of the middle east, but a few of his Irish associates were arrested / deported but so far Kinahan has remained out of the spotlight. Rumoured not to be able to go back to Spain for fear of arrest and being handed over. The big risk is if the US get involved that could well be home toast.

Its nothing knew, many years ago BBC did and great "Boxing and the Mafia" documentary which went right back to the 1940's and involved Jake La Motta and others, and Don King was alleged to have got into serious debt with the mob in 1982 when he had to borrow heavily to put Holmes vs Cooney on in 1982.

It will be interesting to see if this puts a spanner in the works for AJ vs Fury? Probably not, as there's too much money involved.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It is classed as a racist word in a court of law.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I watched it, frightening stuff really. I certainly would not attend a Tyson Fury fight on the back of it with people like that floating around.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Neither side have any links to travellers, travellers keep very much to themselves "business" wise with some minor Balkan links.

The Hutches (what's left of them) are the standard resident drug dealer gang in the North Strand/East Wall/Sheriff Street area of Dublin city centre - which I work in, worringly enough - and the Kinahans are the same in Crumlin, a suburban area out the other side of the city. Quite a bit of their feud originates in clashes in Costa Del Crime-type places in Spain

Your claimed weighing up of risks and benefits appears to be based on bias rather than fact.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There is a feature up on the BBC News app, I read it while I was having my morning cuppa. Very brave work by those involved in the story, its really scary how money from serious crime dominates British boxing.

Even scarier is the fact that it seems almost impossible to pin anything on those involved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/1y3kadznaf/the-suspected-gangster-at-the-heart-of-world-boxing

Some very brave journalists who are willing to put their names out there

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Anyone watch it?

Yes it was very informative and must be extremely worrying for the smaller gyms and agents, I thought Barry MacGuigan when asked to name names as to was poaching his boxers thought long and hard before answering I felt apprehensive for him.

Boxing especially in the USA has had a murky under belly since the early 1900s and even over here organised crime has played its part just look at the death of Freddie Mills in the 1960s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here