Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will players wages be reduced?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's been interesting reading NSC of late with details of losses for all clubs mainly due to the current pandemic.

The size of losses mentioned clearly are not sustainable and with no gate receipts or match day income and now news that gambling sponsorship is to be withdrawn clubs are either going to have to find a new income stream or reduce expenditure and the main expenditure is players wages.

It's also been interesting with the January window that no big money signings have been completed, I presume the main reason being that clubs simply don't have the funds. I've seen mention of valuation on several of our players surely £40/£50 million for Bissouma, ect just isn't going to happen in the current market. Will clubs be looking at off loading the big earners on the cheap just to balance the books and reduce potential debt.

In these times what is happening with FFP as club's surely can't be penalised for making losses to keep the seasons running for the benefit of TV and sponsorship which just doesn't cover the clubs wage bill.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's been interesting reading NSC of late with details of losses for all clubs mainly due to the current pandemic.

The size of losses mentioned clearly are not sustainable and with no gate receipts or match day income and now news that gambling sponsorship is to be withdrawn clubs are either going to have to find a new income stream or reduce expenditure and the main expenditure is players wages.

It's also been interesting with the January window that no big money signings have been completed, I presume the main reason being that clubs simply don't have the funds. I've seen mention of valuation on several of our players surely £40/£50 million for Bissouma, ect just isn't going to happen in the current market. Will clubs be looking at off loading the big earners on the cheap just to balance the books and reduce potential debt.

In these times what is happening with FFP as club's surely can't be penalised for making losses to keep the seasons running for the benefit of TV and sponsorship which just doesn't cover the clubs wage bill.

It's etc., bloody etc!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Unless each players contract has a clause in to allow reduction the clubs will do well to reduce any of the wages without massive legal battles. Can see maybe future wages/transfer fees may be a bit more modest for a while but doubt it will last.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Give it time - last hurdle and fans back in next season then this time in a year I think there will be normal disgustingly high business resumed...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The answer to your question is that players may be invited to sing new contracts for a lower wage, but if so they are likely to say 'I've already got one, thanks.'.

If we can hang on till August and the start of the new season with crowds back, I'm sure that an FFP 'special circumstances' plea will be accepted, and we can all move on as if the pandemic never happened.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They can only reduce what they offer when contracts come to an end or when negotiating to buy a player. If you don't offer at least the same deal, player will likely run down their contracts and bugger off. When you're buying, it will only work as long as no one else is offering more. And what will happen when your highest earners are on £60k a week and you offer a new star player £50k?

You can't arbitrarily reduce an individual's salary with them having the option to walk away and probably claiming constructive dismissal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

poor bl00dy footballers. There was an article a few weeks ago about the average wage bills of each premier league club and whilst we were near the bottom, our top players were still earning £2.5 million a year FFS. Poor souls they must be so hard done by.

To put this in perspective I've been working 40 years and my total wages in those 40 years is under 750k. Even adjusting for inflation and promotions it would be around £1.6m for 40 years, not 1..

:laugh:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
poor bl00dy footballers. There was an article a few weeks ago about the average wage bills of each premier league club and whilst we were near the bottom, our top players were still earning £2.5 million a year FFS. Poor souls they must be so hard done by.

To put this in perspective I've been working 40 years and my total wages in those 40 years is under 750k. Even adjusting for inflation and promotions it would be around £1.6m for 40 years, not 1..

Laws of supply and demand will dictate their wages, not the laws of envy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Laws of supply and demand will dictate their wages, not the laws of envy.

True. But in the top flight there is still a steady and very significant stream of revenue. I won’t have much sympathy for any club which doesn’t cut its cloth according and gets into trouble.

Other sectors are having to adapt, so should top flight football. I will save my sympathy for businesses which have lost their income.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Talk on the radio that as times are hard, players favour winding down their contracts so that they can leave as free agents and negotiate a signing on fee or better pay as there would be no transfer fee.
Ever since the end of the Maximum Wage footballers wages have leapfrogged ahead at an alarming rate but because of the nature of the game clubs are always chasing the next big " Star". It's often said that a footballers career is a short one but that really does not stack up as an excuse as, when they quit football, nothing exempts them from working in any career they choose, pretty much like the rest of us.
They are not unemployable, or would it be beneath them to end up delivering for Amazon?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the trouble with football, maybe other senior professional sport, is the player registration is so valuable. the player becomes and asset of the club, a factor in the solvency of the club. so clubs cant simply tell players to cut wages, that would be breach of contract and they'd leave. clubs literally cant afford that, so carry on paying the wages.

until they cant of course. im surprised we've got so far this season without a dozen non-EPL folding, dont know where they are getting the revenue from. it would have to come from the players to take a voluntary cut, presumably too many have high expenses or advisors in their ear telling them not to.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

After years of negative ad revenue growth, the Pandemic has really stuck the boot into linear TV companies with ad revenue forecast to be down anywhere from 10% (optimistic) to 20% (pessimistic). To feed the beast - money has to come from somewhere other than billionaire owners. Every club (even the biggest ones) will have to refinance and restructure debt especially when debt finance is cheap. The gravy train might is certainly slowing down and might just be a trickle for a few years. Ironically the Albion might be in a great place to ride out this generational storm (but need to stay up this season).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here