Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Embarrassment of riches: How on earth are we going to line up in midfield next season?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just looking at the exciting squad we’re building here. It’s hard to fathom how all this talent will get a chance.

Last night, I thought the combination of Biss, Gross and Mac was awe inspiring, hard to top. But let’s take stock of our midfield options now.

Gross,
Bissouma,
Mac Allister,
Trossard,
Moder,
White,
Moises,
Proper,
Molumby,
Lallana.

I think it’s safe to say it looks pretty tough for Proper to stay. But you never know, I’m really impressed at how GP creates new roles for players. Eg, Solly, Gross.

But who else? Even though I rate him. Looks tough for Molumby. So long term, maybe something like (including wing backs to see full width of pitch):

Sanchez
Webster - Dunk - White
Lamptey - Biss / Moder - Gross - Moises - Solly / Jakob
Mac Allister / Tau
Maupay / Connolly / New Striker

What do you think our first team midfield is going to be?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I know you rate him in midfield but I don't think White should be anywhere near that list.

As you say it's probably time for Propper and Molumby to move on. That makes it a bit more manageable, we have too many players for too few places.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wouldn't be surprised to see Biss moving on in the summer for around 45m (plus several chunky financial clauses including a sell-on). Meaning Mac will get the chance to further establish himself, and Caicedo getting eased into the 1st team squad.

Happy days, if we stay up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the match against Liverpool will be a good test for our midfield. There will be space in behind their defence, so a real opportunity for MacAllister to show if he is the real deal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I noticed that Potter said something about ‘being brave enough to sell your best players’ in the presser today.

I’m sure that he was hinting about this summer.
We could cash in on over £100m of talent if we wanted too but I do suspect the club will just sell a single player with world class potential.

The £15m acquisition of Moder & Caicedo seems to suggest Mr Bissouma could be off (along with the press linking him with the planet’s biggest teams). N’Dombele was £63m inc add-ons. What would a proven Premier League player cost who looked head and shoulders above the Spurs man?

To be sustainable, we must sell a biggy every few years I believe, now that the academy is producing, I think we’re just going to replace them with emerging talent. All this plus first entry and then sustainability in the EPL top 10 is a might challenge but one that I believe Mr Bloom is up to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No idea, havent seen Moder & Caicedo so I'm not making any predictions about them. Bissouma will most likely leave, thats how the football food chain works, and I suppose Pröpper is likely to go as well. Other than that :shrug:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Mac, Trossard, White and Lallana are not CM's, although 3 of them could play there.

It sounds like Moises will go out on loan depending on his progress.

So that leaves us with Gross, Propper, Bissouma, Alzate, Moder and Molumby.

It's likely that one of Propper or Bissouma (possibly both) will move on, in which case we would be left with the right number of CM's left (assuming we don't add anyone in that position) with Sanders, Weir etc. coming through.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Mac, Trossard, White and Lallana are not CM's, although 3 of them could play there.

I don’t think anyone is claiming otherwise? More evaluating the midfield options as a whole.

Ben White has played most PL games in CM. Clearly GP thinks he can play there. I had doubts, but his game at Leeds in midfield was sensational.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here