Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Damp wall.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Hi all - I’m a total diy novice, so apologies for my ignorance!

My downstairs bedroom wall has a relatively minor (I think) damp problem. It has 3 exterior walls and the issue is in the corners of two of the walls.
The outside of these walls has a soffit covering it.
My question is, if I pumped expanding foam into the soffit, would it ease the damp problem?

Any other suggestions gratefully received - thanks.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

My downstairs bedroom wall has a relatively minor (I think) damp problem. It has 3 exterior walls and the issue is in the corners of two of the walls.
My question is, if I pumped expanding foam into the soffit, would it ease the damp problem?

Is the damp caused by water ingress or by condensation?

If it is the latter, you might be better off with an air dehumidifier. Cavity wall insulation may also be helpful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
5 minute job

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Probably not.

Where is the damp patch?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Is the damp caused by water ingress or by condensation?

If it is the latter, you might be better off with an air dehumidifier. Cavity wall insulation may also be helpful.

I think condensation

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A picture of the problem might help.

Probably not.

Where is the damp patch?

F5AA5EDC-6A9E-473C-BC70-1D8070312D64.jpeg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Does it happen after we lose?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

most likely not, the soffit is there to prevent things getting into the eaves while allowing airflow. restricting airflow is bad for damp. if you think there's water seeping in, best to find the source and fix that.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Is the room getting aired, most modern double glazing have trickle vents fitted. If not might be worth just opening the fan light open slightly for an hour or so during the day. Trouble with damp could be anything, even a broken wall tie allow damp to pass through outside skin to the inside walls. A cracked tile above the soffit. :shrug:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Is the room getting aired, most modern double glazing have trickle vents fitted. If not might be worth just opening the fan light open slightly for an hour or so during the day. Trouble with damp could be anything, even a broken wall tie allow damp to pass through outside skin to the inside walls. A cracked tile above the soffit. :shrug:

It is getting aired, but not for long as it’s bloody cold. I think the issue is that it’s north facing and the radiator is trapped behind the bed.
Next week the bed is being moved so the room will have a better air flow.
Have used aero tablets to reasonable effect and wife has just bought a dehumidifier

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Dehumidifier sounds like the way to go. You will be gobsmacked how much moisture is extracted from the air in a very short time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds similar to me. In one room upstairs there is plaster direct on to brick (work done by a fool), and the two layers of brick are separated by a cavity too narrow (and doubtless compromised by debris) for cavity wall insulation. Many years ago I was offered this for free via the council, along with new loft insulation, but they couldn't do the former. My house was built in the 1880s.

To add to that, horizontal rain got under the roof 10 years ago (there was no soffit or fascia and the gutter was simply attached to the wall - now all fixed) and it ran down the small cavity and settled on a horizontal wooden beam in the cavity and brickwork (don't ask - I said it was an old house), soaking the beam, leaving a line of wet wall that took 4 years to dry out. Owing to that I mistook condensation for penetrating damp, which we don't have (but would get if we put in cavity wall insulation).

The remaining problem is that in cold weather condensation forms on the bedroom walls. We rather foolishly put in a bespoke fitted wardrobe before realising the nature of the problem, and the cold walls and lack of circulating air has created a condenser.

We had a similar problem in another room (less marked, less warm breath as not a bedroom) but getting it replastered with modern 'insulating' plaster seems to have done the trick. So the new wardrobe will probably all have to come out so the wall can be replastered properly, with an insulating layer.

Meanwhile, yes, dehumidifier, wiping condensation off the windows (which are double glazed, but...), and putting a small oil/electric radiator in the wardrobe, seem to help. But we don't like radiators on at night (prefer a cool room) so can't decide whether to leave cupboard doors open or shut at night.

We have thought about some form of (ahem) cladding, but this is a sodding conservation area, and local planning is run by tossers, as I discovered when we built an extension.

Good luck with yours :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sounds similar to me. In one room upstairs there is plaster direct on to brick (work done by a fool), and the two layers of brick are separated by a cavity too narrow (and doubtless compromised by debris) for cavity wall insulation. Many years ago I was offered this for free via the council, along with new loft insulation, but they couldn't do the former. My house was built in the 1880s.

To add to that, horizontal rain got under the roof 10 years ago (there was no soffit or fascia and the gutter was simply attached to the wall - now all fixed) and it ran down the small cavity and settled on a horizontal wooden beam in the cavity and brickwork (don't ask - I said it was an old house), soaking the beam, leaving a line of wet wall that took 4 years to dry out. Owing to that I mistook condensation for penetrating damp, which we don't have (but would get if we put in cavity wall insulation).

The remaining problem is that in cold weather condensation forms on the bedroom walls. We rather foolishly put in a bespoke fitted wardrobe before realising the nature of the problem, and the cold walls and lack of circulating air has created a condenser.

We had a similar problem in another room (less marked, less warm breath as not a bedroom) but getting it replastered with modern 'insulating' plaster seems to have done the trick. So the new wardrobe will probably all have to come out so the wall can be replastered properly, with an insulating layer.

Meanwhile, yes, dehumidifier, wiping condensation off the windows (which are double glazed, but...), and putting a small oil/electric radiator in the wardrobe, seem to help. But we don't like radiators on at night (prefer a cool room) so can't decide whether to leave cupboard doors open or shut at night.

We have thought about some form of (ahem) cladding, but this is a sodding conservation area, and local planning is run by tossers, as I discovered when we built an extension.

Good luck with yours :thumbsup:

I never knew you had been a plasterer

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We bought a modern dehumidier and it takes out 3-4 times the amount of water than the previous one (also has a nice clothes drying feature) often working when the other extracted nothing.

A bit of black staining spots ( very dark green maybe) on the wall which is also wipeable is likely to be condesation.

If you have a damp problem you are more likely to see a stain or discolouration..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here