Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sport faces end of gambling cash in biggest crisis since tobacco ban

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Gambling logos may be banned from sports shirts in the biggest shake-up of advertising in professional sport since tobacco promotion was outlawed. The move would hit football clubs hardest but also affect snooker, darts, boxing and rugby league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sauce?

I bet it won't happen :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

_116740969_times-nc.png

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Would be delighted about this if it is true.

Aside from the moral arguments, gambling sponsors just look plain ugly on football shirts in my opinion.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Gambling logos may be banned from sports shirts in the biggest shake-up of advertising in professional sport since tobacco promotion was outlawed. The move would hit football clubs hardest but also affect snooker, darts, boxing and rugby league.

I bet they don't!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ah. 'The government is considering plans'. The old trick of coming up with a wheeze then beta testing it by feeding the story to the Sunset Times. The nation then never hears about it again.

I'd welcome it if it happened.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Gambling ruins lives.
Needs to be much more regulated with a complete ban on ALL advertising.

Won't be though, not under this bunch of charlatans

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Any chance of bundling eToro in somehow?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good news. Needs to be done.

Gambling should not be advertised so much IMHO.

Wish they would follow suit downunder.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm lucky enough never to have smoked or gambled. I think it is because I'm strong willed and can resist the temptation.
But even I will admit to downloading a betting app, just to see what all the fuss is about. Let's face it, a day doesn't go by when a thread about accas and winners doesn't appear. And that bet 365 ad, it just makes you feel as though we will all win big. Pre match odds of 9/1 a goal and free £20 bets or money back if you lose or other enticing offers.
They all need to stop.
I'm sure I understood that all betting ads during football were banned, what happened there?
No. For me, I can resist, but understand the thrill of placing £1 on a BHA win, then £2 to cover your loss, then £10 on a sure thing.
BAN THE LOT.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I was listening to the Newcastle match on Talksport and they are sponsored by i think bet365. The way they jokes about betting and made it sound like so much fun and such a laugh really angered me. Advertising needs banning.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Betting’s cosy relationship with football is disgraceful, cruel and greedy.
“When the fun stops, stop”.
You could say the same thing about heroin.
If you’re not already in the clutches of gambling, don’t start.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But then you look at horse racing - a multi million pound sport / industry that exists purely for betting. If one day betting were outlawed would anybody be bothered about the result?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here