Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would GP have fared with the fanzine culture?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Question I was asked yesterday.

Obviously things have moved on, we are now customers not supporters, and the current circumstances have drastically changed, ie football behind closed doors.

Fans in the ground, and new issue out almost every game, I’m sure the editorial content and supporters contributions would have mirrored the overall frustration of the current situation.

When I think of the stick and criticism Barry Lloyd received in a 6 and half year period, apart perhaps from the Play Off season, I think GP would now be receiving comparable heat from large sections of the fanbase.

But as I said to the original questioner we will never really know, the Internet changed the fanzine culture forever, which is probably currently in GP’s favour, that and his weekly wage against Barry’s of 1987 to 1993.

Flip it round, NSC in August to October 1988, 8 straight defeats, how would that have panned out on here?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would all depend who was doing the writing. I wrote for Scars and Stripes for a while and I'd be supporting the manager and the owner.

But fanzines are largely for bad times. We are a Premier League club now, not fighting for our existence.

Morning, squire, by the way :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We need a resident cartoonist on NSC like Dik did in GE to depict our fortunes. Any talented artists out there? I’m more classically trained, (see below), my style doesn’t lend itself to the more depeche subject matters.

AE14BE06-9448-4810-9437-6B6ADFF72591.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he would have been lampooned mercilessly given who the OP is :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If the fanzine format was still going I really think he would just shrug it off, you only had an issue every 10 days to 2 weeks as I recall ? That was sold to fans mostly at the games but nowadays so much had changed. Twitter and Facebook seems to generate new attacks almost hourly if enough people are angry enough, they also feed off each other as we often see on here.

Only last night Marcus Rashford started getting another wave of abuse via Twitter and that was a match they did not even lose !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fanzines have definitely had their day. I wrote for TSLR from time to time. The last relevant piece I did that might have poked the hornets nest was Oscar's first home game when I wrote something called "Bring Me The Head of Oscar Garcia" caricaturing Poyet as a Uruguayan gangster and Barber as a parsimonious version of a Bond villain. I'm pretty sure not one of those mentioned would have read a word and very soon after that the lads packed it in and went online.

On the other hand I suspect NSC was monitored almost daily by the club during the Poyet sacking / Oscar appointment.

So NSC is the new "fanzine" as you suggest and Potter is hanging on just fine despite some criticism by a minority whose numbers vary depending on results but do make up a sizeable minority (and I'm often part of that). While I'm sure NSC is regularly monitored as online comments have been referred to in some of his interviews, I don't think it'll make any difference to when he goes. He'll go when Tony's business instincts tell him it's time and not even if the minority on here turn into a majority.

Back in the day though? NSC would have melted down with that start to the season, though whether that would have forced Bazza off to the Job Centre along with his ashtray is also debateable.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The great fanzines (and Gull’s Eye was right at the top) took the piss mercilessly. Potter would take some heat but - depending on the scribe - I reckon it would be fanzine satire at its finest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is NSC a fanzine or the modern equivalent?

If the fanzine format was still going I really think he would just shrug it off, you only had an issue every 10 days to 2 weeks as I recall ? That was sold to fans mostly at the games but nowadays so much had changed. Twitter and Facebook seems to generate new attacks almost hourly if enough people are angry enough, they also feed off each other as we often see on here.

Only last night Marcus Rashford started getting another wave of abuse via Twitter and that was a match they did not even lose !

I'd say very much these. I think the OP was in the heart of fanzine culture so perhaps it felt more important, where as the internet and specifically social media is much more ubiquitous. NSC is the equivalent of fanzines, a conglomerate of fan opinions for the core of albion fans who are interested in such things. Whereas twitter, facebook etc are the modern equivalent of casual conversations in pubs, schools, workplaces, but these are amplified and shared on a public platform. Between games Barry Lloyd wasn't subject to every grumble and complaint, every latter "and another thing..." thought after fans have had a day or two to reflect. Wouldn't have daily press conferences with journos who spent the previous night reviewing social media sites for a gauge of fan opinion etc.

I think the better question would be if Barry Lloyd would last 6 years if the internet was around then.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd say very much these. I think the OP was in the heart of fanzine culture so perhaps it felt more important, where as the internet and specifically social media is much more ubiquitous. NSC is the equivalent of fanzines, a conglomerate of fan opinions for the core of albion fans who are interested in such things. Whereas twitter, facebook etc are the modern equivalent of casual conversations in pubs, schools, workplaces, but these are amplified and shared on a public platform. Between games Barry Lloyd wasn't subject to every grumble and complaint, every latter "and another thing..." thought after fans have had a day or two to reflect. Wouldn't have daily press conferences with journos who spent the previous night reviewing social media sites for a gauge of fan opinion etc.

I think the better question would be if Barry Lloyd would last 6 years if the internet was around then.

Nope, he wouldn't , these days the pressure is utterly immense, there would have been no respite between games and the volume of criticism and vitriol probably would have got him sacked very quickly.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Fanzines have definitely had their day. I wrote for TSLR from time to time. The last relevant piece I did that might have poked the hornets nest was Oscar's first home game when I wrote something called "Bring Me The Head of Oscar Garcia" caricaturing Poyet as a Uruguayan gangster and Barber as a parsimonious version of a Bond villain. I'm pretty sure not one of those mentioned would have read a word and very soon after that the lads packed it in and went online.

On the other hand I suspect NSC was monitored almost daily by the club during the Poyet sacking / Oscar appointment.

So NSC is the new "fanzine" as you suggest and Potter is hanging on just fine despite some criticism by a minority whose numbers vary depending on results but do make up a sizeable minority (and I'm often part of that). While I'm sure NSC is regularly monitored as online comments have been referred to in some of his interviews, I don't think it'll make any difference to when he goes. He'll go when Tony's business instincts tell him it's time and not even if the minority on here turn into a majority.

Back in the day though? NSC would have melted down with that start to the season, though whether that would have forced Bazza off to the Job Centre along with his ashtray is also debateable.

I remember selling that first issue outside the Amex. A few people didn't know what it was and just saw Poyet's face. Fair to say, the reactions were mixed to say the least.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The great fanzines (and Gull’s Eye was right at the top) took the piss mercilessly. Potter would take some heat but - depending on the scribe - I reckon it would be fanzine satire at its finest.

Agreed, a modern take on Goldstone Gaz would be potentially hilarious . . . whether you could fit barns, cows arses and banjos on a small page is another matter. great covers from CS as well.

gullseye4.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Question I was asked yesterday.

Obviously things have moved on, we are now customers not supporters, and the current circumstances have drastically changed, ie football behind closed doors.

Fans in the ground, and new issue out almost every game, I’m sure the editorial content and supporters contributions would have mirrored the overall frustration of the current situation.

When I think of the stick and criticism Barry Lloyd received in a 6 and half year period, apart perhaps from the Play Off season, I think GP would now be receiving comparable heat from large sections of the fanbase.

But as I said to the original questioner we will never really know, the Internet changed the fanzine culture forever, which is probably currently in GP’s favour, that and his weekly wage against Barry’s of 1987 to 1993.

Flip it round, NSC in August to October 1988, 8 straight defeats, how would that have panned out on here?

As someone else pointed out, social media hits a far wider audience than fanzines ever did and is almost instantaneous rather than 10 days behind the events!!!

It would also help if your comments were accurate. No one has said we are customers and not supporters. That's just distorting PB's comments for a certain agenda. If treating your supporters as if they have a choice where they go means we get padded seats, decent leg room, good choice of drink and food then I'm for it. If being treated like you're some dumb schmuck who keeps coming back regardless means you get carling in a plastic bottle, pukka pies, no leg room, broken seats and pitch side fencing then count me out. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt and not for me again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There’s an argument that GP and managers in general would get a far easier time if it were the days of fanzines only.

With social media platforms there’s far more trolls, hate and shit posting.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There’s an argument that GP and managers in general would get a far easier time if it were the days of fanzines only.

With social media platforms there’s far more trolls, hate and shit posting.

Yep. In many ways anyone with a keyboard can get to the players much more easily than a fanzine could.

I guess what fanzine sellers could do was stoke an atmosphere at the gates. Not sure the current management would allow a fanzine with an anti management agenda to be sold outside the Amex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Quite. There's a difference between mild satire, and being toxic.

And believe me, certain aspects of Twitter are toxic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here