Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh dear.

Celtic lose to St Mirren at home for the first time in 31 years :lolol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54671303

But concerningly.....

It was harsh on St Mirren, yet they responded within minutes. Not for the first time this season, Shane Duffy was found wanting. The centre-back failed to deal with a routine cross from Kyle McAllister as Durmus superbly took the ball down and dispatched his first league goal of the season.

Those predicting he'd rip up the MTL are still wrong it seems. What to do with him when this is over. Will anyone want him?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Such a shame for him.

Class is permanent etc, but clearly this hasn’t worked out, and more worryingly his value is dropping and fast.....

I don’t know how Celtic have managed it, but they turned a classic old style ‘head it, kick it’ CB, into a bit of a donkey.....

Perhaps because it’s such a low intensity level you don’t need to concentrate as much, and Shane isn’t good at switching back on when he needs to.....

Who knows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I predicted Duffy would smash this league but I was so wrong. He looks lost without Dunk beside him.

When seeing it in real time, that goal is not as bad as the negative reports or opinions I’ve heard on the wireless. Duffy has set himself for the header and the attacker plucks it out the air with a high boot and incredible control. I thought Duffy had given the ball away but he never had it.

Duffy is such an important part of our recent history as well as being a great lad. It’s so sad to see him struggling. Another player that Mr Hughton will be eyeing for his Championship promotion bid next season.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Wasn't he a bit shit before he joined us, I seem to remember Blackburn supporters being glad to get rid. Always rated him myself but maybe it was the DD partnership that made him a success here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got to feel for him, loses his place to Webster having been player of the season then a season of mostly bench warming, a dream move for him then turns into a nightmare. Shame

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'd be interested to know how his current fitness statistics compare to what he was like when he left Brighton.
He seems a bit slower and heavier and I would guess he's not in a good place mentally.
Shane only turned 29 on 1st Jan. It would be great if he could find a progressive looking championship club that has a strong fitness regime and where his experience of challenging for promotion can be shared.
He still has six years of a decent level of football in him.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He would probably be a good fit for wankpuffins, so I hope he never goes there. Mind you, he's far too young for them at the moment.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Lennon has turned Celtic into a bang average team in a bang average league, their fans just can't accept the fact, unfortunately Duffy hasn't covered himself in glory along with others

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lennon has turned Celtic into a bang average team in a bang average league, their fans just can't accept the fact, unfortunately Duffy hasn't covered himself in glory along with others

Average league and team but they are still a lot better than all the teams outside the old firm. They’ll open an 8 point gap in 2nd place to 3rd if they win their game in hand.

That said, most Championship teams would beat them.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Average league and team but they are still a lot better than all the teams outside the old firm. They’ll open an 8 point gap in 2nd place to 3rd if they win their game in hand.

That said, most Championship teams would beat them.

That is the minimum requirement. I’d fancy a pub team manager would probably manage that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hughton played to his strengths, forcing teams to throw in crosses. When exposed to forwards 1:1 he's decidedly average

That is a good point, but on the other hand if your team is well set-up from a shape perspective, pure 1:1’s shouldn’t occur that frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Wasn't he a bit shit before he joined us, I seem to remember Blackburn supporters being glad to get rid. Always rated him myself but maybe it was the DD partnership that made him a success here.
Once he knew he was off, he started scoring own goals, which is why they wanted him out.

Hopefully he will come good again.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe another candidate to join Chris Hughton's "getting the gang back together" at Forest once this is over, given I can't see Celtic or us wanting him.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love Shane. Always a 100% player. His Dad and biggest fan, Brian died suddenly last year, only 51 so that must have taken a huge toll on Shane. He would be a great asset for a promotion chasing championship side next season but I would still love him back here in our squad

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I don't think this was the case.

I seem to recall he scored 2 own goals and got sent off in a game, whilst our offer for him was being evaluated.
I thought most saw this as a deliberate tactic to come to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here