Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] New Adam Curtis 'Docuseries', "Can't Get You Out OF My Head"

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Now I just need Johnathan Meades to pull his finger out.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
zJGt7Re.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not just me who's been listening to a lot of 'This Mortal Coil' albums in the last few months.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I found the first two enjoyable but a little incoherent, but things start taking shape from episode 4

Same here, but felt he pulled it all together well at the end.
I really enjoy his form of journalism/storytelling and find a lot to agree with too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting viewing throughout the six episodes, but I am left wondering about how shallow I am because, when shown a seven hour discourse on the failure of modern macro political systems to deal with the complexities presented by the rise of individualism and the problems this creates if trying to balance endless and various individualist demands with the needs of capitalism and shifts of political and economic power, my main takes have been. 'Oh I must get hold of that Mekons song', 'Whose that singing 'Starry Eyes'?, 'She's also got a lovely voice - Gale Storm, don't know her' and 'Can I get a cheap copy of Bright Eyes' album?'

Adam Curtis: - Compelling, although sometimes overreaching documentary maker - But what a DJ!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting viewing throughout the six episodes, but I am left wondering about how shallow I am because, when shown a seven hour discourse on the failure of modern macro political systems to deal with the complexities presented by the rise of individualism and the problems this creates if trying to balance endless and various individualist demands with the needs of capitalism and shifts of political and economic power, my main takes have been. 'Oh I must get hold of that Mekons song', 'Whose that singing 'Starry Eyes'?, 'She's also got a lovely voice - Gale Storm, don't know her' and 'Can I get a cheap copy of Bright Eyes' album?'

Adam Curtis: - Compelling, although sometimes overreaching documentary maker - But what a DJ!

:lol: To be honest I don't think AC himself would think that made you shallow. I came very late to the Adam Curtis party with Hypernormalisation. I'd never heard of him but saw Jon Ronson mention it and the thumbnail on iPlayer fascinated me, the retro image, the colours and font. So I watched it and found it kind of hypnotic and not really sure if what I was watching was real. Had to watch it again to get my bearings.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Rewatching 'The Mayfair Set' on iPlayer.

One of the best bits of TV ever.

Less 'Curtisy' than the more recent stuff. Absolutely fascinating.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Rewatching 'The Mayfair Set' on iPlayer.

One of the best bits of TV ever.

Less 'Curtisy' than the more recent stuff. Absolutely fascinating.
I haven't seen 'The Mayfair Set'. I'll take a look. Thanks for mentioning.

Two years on from my response to your thread I've now got half a dozen albums by Bright Eyes / Conor Oberst, as well as Johnny Boy's album that features 'You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes'. Old Mekons stuff has proved harder/more expensive to get hold of.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
Never ceases to amaze me how fantastic NSC in the range of topics that get posted.

Saw this when it landed on iPlayer - love AC’s work. That said, I didn’t like this as much as Hypernormalisation or All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace. Wondered maybe if it was just too long and quality suffered slightly as a result.

That said still a great watch.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
Fascinated by Curtis’s collaboration work with 3D from Massive Attack and still can’t help wondering if 3D really is Banksy - although maybe that deserves its own post entirely.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023

One of my favourite pieces of music in an AC film is Come Down to Us by Burial. Haunting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here