Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Criteria for choosing the other teams you follow

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Although the Albion are the only team I actively support, I have over the years picked up an affection for a number of other teams. Normally, this has been either because I've seen them live or visited the city they are based in although there are some others that I've chosen for different reasons. I'd be interested to hear what teams others follow and why. Mine are:

Mainz - visited Wiesbaden for work once and spent a night in a bar talking to die-hard Mainz fans who lauded their bright new manager, name of Klopp.
Atalanta - visited Bergamo
Real Betis - despite watching Seville play when I visited, I was subsequently told that Betis are the more working class club so transferred allegiance to them
Cowdenbeath - from the days of looking at all the league results in the Sunday papers and seeing they had lost in front of about 150 fans. Cemented when I found out they are called The Blue Brazil. Covid kiboshed my plan to go and watch a game but it will happen.
Chicago White Sox - first (and currently only) MLB team I've seen live
Phoenix Suns - first (and currently only) NBA team I've seen live

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Carmarthen coz I live near and watch when I cannot get to the Amex. Lens French ligue 1 as I bought some cheap shirts off E bay to cycle in ! Wimbledon 1st match I ever saw, so I'm told. Strangely in almost any game in England Scotland I can have a preference, possibly weird.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Carmarthen coz I live near and watch when I cannot get to the Amex. Lens French ligue 1 as I bought some cheap shirts off E bay to cycle in ! Wimbledon 1st match I ever saw, so I'm told. Strangely in almost any game in England Scotland I can have a preference, possibly weird.
You're not alone. Brighton has always been my team (born there, and my 'local' team when I first became aware of the football results on Sports Report and in my Dad's paper). As a seven or eight year old boy (not from a football family - just radio and newspaper to follow the football) I think it went by sound or look of the name - some names sounded nice, some didn't. Totally irrational, and it hasn't really remained into adult-hood. Still don't like Arsenal though!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I had a cracking skiing holiday near the Wankdorf Stadium, so now I like to follow Young Boys.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Still love Betis because I lived in Seville in the late 80s/early 90s and went to loads of games with local friends. Some of my happiest football memories. Standing on the terraces with a pint of cold cruzcampo in the warm sun. It's bringing a tear to my eye thinking about it given what lockdown in january 2021 in the UK is like.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Used to follow Man Utd a lot growing up and watched many games in London. It was the days when the Albion were in the lower leagues and with TV only showing mainly Division 1 games. Most kids had a second team they could watch on Match of the Day. I was lucky in that the likes of Best, Charlton, Law etc were in their prime but the Albion have always been my first team. I have had no interest in Man Utd since my late teens thankfully.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
To join in let's say teams I think slightly more highly of due to a quirk of personal history.
Aston villa: just really liked Paul McGrath.
Wimbledon (AFC) beat Liverpool on FA cup to despair of the already legion proto plastic scouses in Brighton and my delight.
Lincoln city: slightly distant family connection at board level.
Dunfermline - bought a discounted subbuteo team and no way was I going to be Newcastle.
Leeds - Eric cantona and I like MOT as a song.
Arsenal - because I hate Tottenham due to being forced to listen to one of their fa cup songs.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hull City, because I lived there for a few years in the 1980s, and used to watch them at the death trap that was Boothferry Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here