Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that stir childhood memories

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Not one for the musical purists but songs that you remember from your childhood. Songs that you might hear now and triggers a memory or a feeling or even just a smell.
This one reminds me of rainy Sunday evenings, playing on the rug in front of the open fire that had burn marks from the flaming coal that spat out from time to time. Probably listening to the top 20 on the radio before Sing Something Simple came on.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Those of a certain age will feel the urge to say "Watch" at around the seventh second.

And from the same era...

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Those of a certain age will feel the urge to say "Watch" at around the seventh second.

And from the same era...

The first one was only ever heard when bunking off school and making a miraculous recovery 5 minutes after mum had said it's ok.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My sister and I always got Beatles singles for Christmas, so I wanna Hold your hand, she loves you, I'm a loser etc always remind me of good days at home at Christmas with mum and dad both now gone.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
The first episode of this was on the TV the night my Dad left my mum. A feeling I only experienced again later in life when splitting with a girlfriend.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
TV Themes: The Onedian Line, High Chaparral (obvs!) and Flashing Blade
Mum & Dads House parties: Boney M, ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees and Disco
Mum only: Gilbert OSullivan, Carpenters, Petula Clark, Captain & Tennile...

The following song especially just makes me cry remembering my old mum. She died not long ago, I’ve still not come to terms with her death. But I really remember it as a kid. It was one of her favourites. Knowing she was terminally ill, a few months before she died, I did her ‘a tape’ of songs from my childhood ie THIS thread! Basically songs you heard them, your parents, play around the house (in between Pinky & Perky’s hits for me and my brother!) She loved the tape, and hadn’t heard this particular track for many many years. She immediately stopped when I played it to her and a tear appeared in her eye. She said she’s not heard in years, that it was one of her all time favourites, and that it was just beautiful. Because she was a northern lass, I think the brass section was especially poignant for her.

Anyway, I give you (for she was right) a truly beautiful song by the great Peter Skellern with “You’re a Lady”. Miss you mum, RIP. :) x

https://youtu.be/U-hNZ5ichrE

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My dad would play the Jazz Singer soundtrack on long car journeys.
My parents would usually be screaming at each other.
When this song came round I remember noting it was the perfect soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK5N6iPLrEs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here