Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 out of 20 managers fail to coach their strikers how to score

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang only scored five goals for Arsenal this season. The reason is that Mikel Arteta didnt coach Aubameyang how to score.

Keinan Davis got 2 goals in 58 appearances for Aston Villa. The reason must be Dean Smith who didnt coach Davis how to score.
Barnes and Wood only scored 2 & 4 goals for Burnley this season. The reason? Sean Dyche. Not coaching his players in the art of scoring goals.

Timo Werner.. not a lot of goals so far in Chelsea. Because Frank Lampard didnt coach him into scoring them.

Christan Benteke... good thing Roy Hodgson couldnt coach him into scoring goals!

Alex Iwobi. 1 goal in 16 appearances this season in Everton for the winger/striker. Too bad multiple CL winning manager Ancelotti is unable to coach him into scoring.

Player of your choice in Fulham... not many goals, because Scott Parker havent taught them how to score.

Rodrigo was expensive for Leeds but only 3 goals so far. Waste of money as Bielsa failed to coach him into scoring.

Kelechi Icheosomething in Leicester. Ten appearances, 0 goals. If only Rodgers coached him into scoring Leicester might have been top of the table.

Firmino in Liverpool. Only 8 goals last season and only 6 goals in 20 appearances this season. If only they had a competent manager who could teach him how to score.

We could go on but unfortunately I need to go eat some yoghurt. But I guarantee that in every PL team there is one, two, three or sometimes even four strikers who scored very few goals this season, which according to some people on NSC means that there must be 20 completely incompetent managers in the league.

Historically, it looks worryingly similar. Diego Forlan didnt score any goals in United. Because the world is a very simple and binary place, this means Sir Alex Ferguson is shit. Even Arsenal had a couple of strikers who rarely scored. #wengerout

Conclusion: there's never been a competent manager in the PL because in every team there's always been strikers who didnt score a lot. But maybe, just maybe there is a light in the tunnel. I'm sure that you bagged a few ones last time you played in the park. Maybe you are the solution to the everlasting, all-compassing incompetence of Premier League managers?

or maybe football, footballers and humans are a lot more complex than you are able to grasp and you're better of doing some thinking or reading

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
or maybe football, footballers and humans are a lot more complex than you are able to grasp and you're better of doing some thinking or reading

Slagging off everyone's intelligence whilst misspelling the word "off" is textbook [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

Don't ever change. :thumbsup:

(I do think you have a point overall. Blaming Potter for the players' poor finishing is probably inaccurate.)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My take:

All of the strikers in the PL know how to score goals.

All of the defenders in the PL know how to defend.

All or at least the vast majority of the PL players have had great coaching since pretty much the day they started playing in a club.

The reason why its hard to score goals in the PL is because it is difficult to score goals in the PL.

The reason why its hard not to concede goals in the PL is because it is difficult to defend in the PL.

Bringing in Kevin Phillips or Stanley Matthews or whoever two days a week is not magically going to result in every single Brighton striker scoring 30 goals.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And when he was good he was very good.
But when he was mad he was brilliant.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
What about your nemesis Jose Mourinho? He's done okay with Son and Kane.
He worked with Drogba, Et'o, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic previously.
Maybe all managers should be a little more Jose.....

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang only scored five goals for Arsenal this season. The reason is that Mikel Arteta didnt coach Aubameyang how to score.

Keinan Davis got 2 goals in 58 appearances for Aston Villa. The reason must be Dean Smith who didnt coach Davis how to score.
Barnes and Wood only scored 2 & 4 goals for Burnley this season. The reason? Sean Dyche. Not coaching his players in the art of scoring goals.

Timo Werner.. not a lot of goals so far in Chelsea. Because Frank Lampard didnt coach him into scoring them.

Christan Benteke... good thing Roy Hodgson couldnt coach him into scoring goals!

Alex Iwobi. 1 goal in 16 appearances this season in Everton for the winger/striker. Too bad multiple CL winning manager Ancelotti is unable to coach him into scoring.

Player of your choice in Fulham... not many goals, because Scott Parker havent taught them how to score.

Rodrigo was expensive for Leeds but only 3 goals so far. Waste of money as Bielsa failed to coach him into scoring.

Kelechi Icheosomething in Leicester. Ten appearances, 0 goals. If only Rodgers coached him into scoring Leicester might have been top of the table.

Firmino in Liverpool. Only 8 goals last season and only 6 goals in 20 appearances this season. If only they had a competent manager who could teach him how to score.

We could go on but unfortunately I need to go eat some yoghurt. But I guarantee that in every PL team there is one, two, three or sometimes even four strikers who scored very few goals this season, which according to some people on NSC means that there must be 20 completely incompetent managers in the league.

Historically, it looks worryingly similar. Diego Forlan didnt score any goals in United. Because the world is a very simple and binary place, this means Sir Alex Ferguson is shit. Even Arsenal had a couple of strikers who rarely scored. #wengerout

Conclusion: there's never been a competent manager in the PL because in every team there's always been strikers who didnt score a lot. But maybe, just maybe there is a light in the tunnel. I'm sure that you bagged a few ones last time you played in the park. Maybe you are the solution to the everlasting, all-compassing incompetence of Premier League managers?

I take your point, however, what about Calvert Lewin at Everton. Ha he suddenly just got better or is it because he has Duncan Ferguson helping him with his game.

Of course you can make strikers better at finishing. I agree its not down to the Manager to do this, but it is down to the Manager to find a way to do it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My concern is how folk think that £30m gets a striker to solve all the issues.

A look at historical figures shows that the success of strikers is very often not linked to their contract costs.

Son v Joelinton is a favourite one of mine to prove the point.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A good point well made Swanny.

Now you know I’m behind GP but it’s not just the strikers though. There’s a lack of goals throughout the team given the chances we make every game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Slagging off everyone's intelligence whilst misspelling the word "off" is textbook [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

Don't ever change. :thumbsup:

(I do think you have a point overall. Blaming Potter for the players' poor finishing is probably inaccurate.)

Not everyones. Just some.

Its just very silly that people despite following football for x number of years just fail to understand a very simple thing like there being a 100 different factors - coaching is just one - why a player score a lot or doesnt score a lot.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Of course you're right to an extent.
There's loads of examples where someone- a new coach, a manager, a player - has improved players or teams finishing.
Ancelotti and DCL. Someone in the Arsenal set up during the Wenger years clearly introduced the idea of opening your body and using your in step.
Kane's game has improved this season because Mourinho or a staff member has identified his ability to drop much deeper. He didn't just decide to do that.

So managers and coaches, through coaching and tactics, can improve players. Otherwise what is the point?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What about your nemesis Jose Mourinho? He's done okay with Son and Kane.
He worked with Drogba, Et'o, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic previously.

Yes, because Kane wasn’t scoring any goals until he met Jose...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yes, because Kane wasn’t scoring any goals until he met Jose...

That's simplistic. He is now scoring more goals outside the box- more than anyone, and creating more chances. His overall game has obviously improved.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There are many players who have clearly improved under Potter and the entire coaching unit at all levels at Brighton (and at the clubs they've been loaned to) . Bissouma, White, Webster, Burn, March Mac Allister, Sanchez, Connolly and I can go on. But we want more more more!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's simplistic. He is now scoring more goals outside the box- more than anyone, and creating more chances. His overall game has obviously improved.

How is it simplistic? It’s fact. Kane has consistently scored around 20 goals a season for the past 5 years. The guy is a machine.

I rate Jose too, but he didn’t need to improve Kane.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I take your point, however, what about Calvert Lewin at Everton. Ha he suddenly just got better or is it because he has Duncan Ferguson helping him with his game.

Of course you can make strikers better at finishing. I agree its not down to the Manager to do this, but it is down to the Manager to find a way to do it.

Confidence. Luck. Getting older and closer to his physical peak. Tactics. Teammates. Improving himself. Ancelotti and Ferguson helping him, etc.

Plenty of things... like always.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I absolutely love this thread. Various people 'agree' with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] then say 'but what about that lad with loads of goals? Doesn't that prove that you can coach a scorer to score?' :facepalm:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

The appointment of Mourinho is possibly the only managerial arrival that would lead me to pause my 'relationship' with the Albion.

He's a poisonous, smug little c*** whose methods, morals and philosophy are the exact opposite of what I'd like to see at the club.

(good job it'll never happen :))

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There are many players who have clearly improved under Potter and the entire coaching unit at all levels at Brighton (and at the clubs they've been loaned to) . Bissouma, White, Webster, Burn, March Mac Allister, Sanchez, Connolly and I can go on. But we want more more more!

I'm not sure Connolly has. Considering he is at the age you'd expect him to be improving - I.e gaining more experience at senior level, developing physically etc.

Anyway its problematic because you're saying Potter has improved players so you're accepting Potter or another coach could improve a players finishing. Unless finishing is the one skillset in football that can't be improved?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Put it another way.

Do people think Harry Kane would miss all the chances our players are missing?

The manager can coach, craft and create tactics, systems to give the best chance of winning and that is huge. He can help youngsters, give them a chance to become first teamers. But he can’t make Maupay into an Aguero, Ronaldo or Kane.

You are always limited to the players you have. Hence the wage budget dictates the league positions. We’re 3rd bottom wage budget. Look where we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here