Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] How to cash in £1 & £2 coins

bigE

Dec 8, 2009
I've just opened our money box of one and two pound coins which was meant for last year's holiday but now the money is full up I need to cash in the coins problem is the last time I took my carrier bag full of coins to the bank they refused them and would only take three money bags full per day
Well that may not seem a problem but I have £600 so I guess a money bag takes £20 a time so that's ten visits to the bank trouble is my bank have closed down and the nearest one is a car drive away which I hardly ever do because I carry out all my banking online,so anyone else had this problem and any ideas of a quick solution.
And just before the clever ones suggest they could take it of my hands etc. Dont bother I want the money

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
try some shops, or wait for pubs to open, they'll happliy take some. not £600 at once. could try one of those cash counters though i dont know what the commission is, could be less than cost of trips to the bank.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Check you £2 coins for 2002 Commonwealth Games coins .
Scotland, England, and Wales go on EBay for £10-£15 , Northern Ireland is £30 plus.

All other £2 coins are only really worth £2, you may get a couple of quid more for some, but not really worth the hassle

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Metro Bank have money counting machines. I believe you can only use them at the moment if you bank with them due to Covid restrictions. So if you can wait for the money, and you have one locally you can use the counting machine and Metro will pay it into any account you want free of charge.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Check your bank. Most now have done away with tellers and have machines. One machine takes coins of any value. I'm with NatWest but guess most banks, if they haven't closed, will be the same. The machine gives you a slip of paper that you then have to pay into your account.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you took a carrier bag of coins to a bank theyd refuse. But I cannot see how or why if you had properly bagged coins, which they obviously weigh they would refuse this legal tender if you bank with them. Yeah if you had a 20k in 1ps, but a few hundred pound in correctly bagged coins? Ridiculous if that's the case

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Metro Bank have money counting machines. I believe you can only use them at the moment if you bank with them due to Covid restrictions. So if you can wait for the money, and you have one locally you can use the counting machine and Metro will pay it into any account you want free of charge.

Metro bank will give you cash. We had a gallon whisky bottle full of coins and we lugged it down to their coin counter in eastbourne. It gives you a receipt which you take to the counter and they will give you a cheque or cash.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can pay cash into your bank account at the Post Office. Newhaven doesn't have a single bank left now.

janesmith

Oct 2, 2020
New York
I've just opened our money box of one and two pound coins which was meant for last year's holiday but now the money is full up I need to cash in the coins problem is the last time I took my carrier bag full of coins to the bank they refused them and would only take three money bags full per day
Well that may not seem a problem but I have £600 so I guess a money bag takes £20 a time so that's ten visits to the bank trouble is my bank have closed down and the nearest one is a car drive away which I hardly ever do because I carry out all my banking online,so anyone else had this problem and any ideas of a quick solution.
And just before the clever ones suggest they could take it of my hands etc. Dont bother I want the money

Here are a few ways I think useful:

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/best-ways-to-change-coins-into-cash/

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
could try one of those cash counters though i dont know what the commission is, could be less than cost of trips to the bank.

Think the Coinstar machines in supermarkets take 9p for every £1. It is definitely the easiest and most convenient way to change the coins but also the most costly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My local greengrocers is always desperate for cash - as it saves them being charged getting it from the bank. I could easily pop down every day with a £20 bag and get a note in exchange. You may have a similar shop/shops that would be similarly keen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think the Coinstar machines in supermarkets take 9p for every £1. It is definitely the easiest and most convenient way to change the coins but also the most costly.

And you just KNOW that having lugged a ton of change all the way to Saino's, the poxy machine would be Out Of Order. Them's the rules

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't be the only one with the opposite problem. In these covid times, when contactless is usually actively encouraged, the chippie, the launderette and those stalls in the Open Market that I frequently, er, frequent, all insist on cash only. Getting hold of fresh supplies of coinage is becoming increasingly a serious pain in the arse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here