Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter Polarising …

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Has there ever been a manager that has seemingly polarised opinion as much as Graham Potter…? It would seem if you’re a believer, you exhibit cult or favourite band t-shirt wearing shouty air guitar pyrotechnic crowd surfing unequivocal love… or even lust. If you fall on the other side, you’d be up for a good old fashioned torch burnin’, a pitch fork brandishing lychin’ without a trial… ah! the swift judgement of the salivating mob.

Match day threads, as well as the fallout musings, are a battle ground of arguments the like of which I simply fail to recall… it’s virtually a 40/60 split with certain posters battling away like a lone group of knights defending their king against an absolute onslaught of negativity bombs, missile toting apathy Apaches, and gobshite Goblins from the mountains of abject misery…

For my part; one moment I’m determined he’s our man and the numbers back it up… we’re on the cusp of tangible greatness with such regularity it’s actually almost unbelievable, BUT then again I find myself massively disappointed that our flattery delivers (so often) ‘the great deceit.’ Points are all that matters, or are they? You see… I’m so utterly confused I don’t know what’s going on.

Last night, 0-0 vs a much improved and motivated Fulham - I should be gleeful, yet I feel as flat as our strike rate stats… Why is that? I can’t fathom it.

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ve ever felt in a place where expressing an opinion either way (on nsc) is not a good idea - so I won’t offer my verdict. It’s really struck me though, how little we’re (the faithful – ha!) agreeing on anything much right now. I’m not so sure that’s good for the soul of the club, but maybe I’m being too myopic when attempting to analyse ‘us.’

I guess everything feels a little chaotic, with such large splits right down the middle of our support base… well it’s not making for great reading.

Not sure where this is all going tbh, but then again - I think that mirrors the club and ourselves rather neatly in these difficult days of ours.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I just lob in that imo Potter is potentially the best manager that we have ever had in my years supporting the club. I don’t actually care what others think of that and I’m not getting into an argument about it. I bloody love Potterball, warts and all. I’ll leave the thread now...maybe :smile:

I love your turn of phrase Kosh, don’t ever change

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
He probably isn't that polarising. It's just those with the more extreme views at both ends are more likely to post (the same is true with most issues and what people write on the internet). Personally I think he's doing good enough and can see how with time we could get better.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some people think Brighton should be a mid-table EPL team by now, others think we are somewhere between mid-table and relegation spots. Incidentally we still have never been in the relegation zone have we? Despite many fans thinking it is doom and gloom.

Personally, I am happy to be led by Tony Bloom and if he thinks Potter is the right man for the job, and after all it is Blooms money further at stake here, then so be it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally bizarre IMHO that a seriously strange set of posters seem to be imbuing some random appointee from the novelty slot in Football Focus with a set of quasi-mystical big brain qualities which he clearly doesn't possess IRL. I have the utmost respect for TB's willingness to give an unproven manager a fair crack of the whip. Tho it don't half come back to bite him in the bum more often than not. Guess a rookie chairman has to learn through experience, same as the rest of us :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Has there ever been a manager that has seemingly polarised opinion as much as Graham Potter…? It would seem if you’re a believer, you exhibit cult or favourite band t-shirt wearing shouty air guitar pyrotechnic crowd surfing unequivocal love… or even lust. If you fall on the other side, you’d be up for a good old fashioned torch burnin’, a pitch fork brandishing lychin’ without a trial… ah! the swift judgement of the salivating mob.

Match day threads, as well as the fallout musings, are a battle ground of arguments the like of which I simply fail to recall… it’s virtually a 40/60 split with certain posters battling away like a lone group of knights defending their king against an absolute onslaught of negativity bombs, missile toting apathy Apaches, and gobshite Goblins from the mountains of abject misery…

For my part; one moment I’m determined he’s our man and the numbers back it up… we’re on the cusp of tangible greatness with such regularity it’s actually almost unbelievable, BUT then again I find myself massively disappointed that our flattery delivers (so often) ‘the great deceit.’ Points are all that matters, or are they? You see… I’m so utterly confused I don’t know what’s going on.

Last night, 0-0 vs a much improved and motivated Fulham - I should be gleeful, yet I feel as flat as our strike rate stats… Why is that? I can’t fathom it.

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ve ever felt in a place where expressing an opinion either way (on nsc) is not a good idea - so I won’t offer my verdict. It’s really struck me though, how little we’re (the faithful – ha!) agreeing on anything much right now. I’m not so sure that’s good for the soul of the club, but maybe I’m being too myopic when attempting to analyse ‘us.’

I guess everything feels a little chaotic, with such large splits right down the middle of our support base… well it’s not making for great reading.

Not sure where this is all going tbh, but then again - I think that mirrors the club and ourselves rather neatly in these difficult days of ours.

This polarisation isn't just a trend which relates to our football manager.

We see the inability to see middle ground, heated rhetoric, whatsapp echo chambers forming the way we speak to each other in politics and all aspects of public life.

We join the tribe that looks closest to how we want to appear and defend it with our lives. Even if it means having to defend some obviously undefendable arguments. I can only think as a result of some sort of collective insecurity.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

We see the inability to see middle ground, heated rhetoric, whatsapp echo chambers forming the way we speak to each other in politics and all aspects of public life.

We join the tribe that looks closest to how we want to appear and defend it with our lives. Even if it means having to defend some obviously undefendable arguments. I can only think as a result of some sort of collective insecurity.

Agree.

Its pretty much a sign of some kind of cult of personality shit spreading like a pandemic for a pretty long time and to be seen everywhere in society.

The whole Potter is God / Potter is junk stuff is just pretty tiresome and even more so ridicilously simplistic in a team sport where there is 30+ people (players, staff, recruitment team)
who are responsible for winning/losing/scoring/conceding. Not to mention the opponents who also have a say in how things are going.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree.

Its pretty much a sign of some kind of cult of personality shit spreading like a pandemic for a pretty long time and to be seen everywhere in society.

The whole Potter is God / Potter is junk stuff is just pretty tiresome and even more so ridicilously simplistic in a team sport where there is 30+ people (players, staff, recruitment team)
who are responsible for winning/losing/scoring/conceding. Not to mention the opponents who also have a say in how things are going.

:wozza:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Totally bizarre IMHO that a seriously strange set of posters seem to be imbuing some random appointee from the novelty slot in Football Focus with a set of quasi-mystical big brain qualities which he clearly doesn't possess IRL. I have the utmost respect for TB's willingness to give an unproven manager a fair crack of the whip. Tho it don't half come back to bite him in the bum more often than not. Guess a rookie chairman has to learn through experience, same as the rest of us :shrug:

I recall your very derogatory opinion on Glenn Murray in his first stint here and I definitely didn’t agree with you back then, so excuse me for thinking you are not my go to for football thoughts :wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And some of us seriously strange posters believe you, junior, GB, neilbard etc are pretty bizarre yourselves.

Pretty much highlighting/confirming what Kosh is saying.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I would like Potter to succeed, and keep waiting for us to improve, as in getting higher up the table. Is 15th or 14th place attainable?

All I keep reading is, it will fall into place, or it will get better. It is very much jam tomorrow and I don't think I have the faith in him to do it.

I hope but the hope gets shattered week in and week out, with an occasional glimmer here and there, of what might be.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
As mentioned above it seems that it's a trend many people now adopt.
Brexit, Public broadcasting, Trump, Climate change, Lockdown.
There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

One aspect that does disappoint me with NSC is the number of threads where people seem to need to introduce a poll which once again just reinforces the tribalism.
At breakfast time today when I looked at NSC there were 6 polls included in the first ten threads.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I see the irony in me making such a statement but part of the reason I want things to go well for GP is that he is the antithesis to the "me, me, me" culture. I want sports coaches in society to have him rather than Jose Mourinho as role models because I think that would be good for society.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And some of us seriously strange posters believe you, junior, GB, neilbard etc are pretty bizarre yourselves.

Pretty much highlighting/confirming what Kosh is saying.

Junior is a wind up merchant. Why anyone takes any notice of him, is beyond me. :lolol:
He does this with every manager.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I recall your very derogatory opinion on Glenn Murray in his first stint here and I definitely didn’t agree with you back then, so excuse me for thinking you are not my go to for football thoughts :wink:

Always strikes as a wee bit weird when random posters appear to have maintained a creepy scrapbook of something that - on the face of it - just another poster may or may not have offered an opinion on ten or maybe twenty years ago. Tho I'll take it as a compliment. Eh [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]? :kiss:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Always strikes as a wee bit weird when random posters appear to have maintained a creepy scrapbook of something that - on the face of it - just another poster may or may not have offered an opinion on ten or maybe twenty years ago. Tho I'll take it as a compliment. Eh [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]? :kiss:

I wouldn’t :lolol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I see the irony in me making such a statement but part of the reason I want things to go well for GP is that he is the antithesis to the "me, me, me" culture. I want sports coaches in society to have him rather than Jose Mourinho as role models because I think that would be good for society.

Lovely sentiments, but Potter wasn’t hired to be a community support worker, he was hired to win football games. This isn’t pee-wee football.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It's so depressing. It feels like we've lost so much willingness to include subtlety, context and nuance in debates nowadays.

It's dumb in the genuine sense of the word and I hate it.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lovely sentiments, but Potter wasn’t hired to be a community support worker, he was hired to win football games. This isn’t pee-wee football.

I wonder if there was a mix up with the contracts ?

Kosh is right. I know I'm wasting my time here, but I'm bored. I'm sure a lot of the polarisation is a hangover of the new post Brexit national climate, amplified by the frustrations of lockdown.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here