Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Potter fixed our defensive frailties?

Has Potter sorted our leaky goal problem?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've noticed that since the Wolves game (Steels's gaff aside), opposition teams need to produce top class play to score against us. We looked so solid last night with Fulham only having a couple of big chances.

Whilst the introduction of Sanchez is key, I think Veltman is looking very solid and Webster has been fantastic.

Is it just our finishing to work on now?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not convinced. Yes we only conceded one against City (thanks to one of the worst penalties I've seen taken against us for a long time) but we've still conceded sloppy goals because we switched off waiting for the whistle in our cup games and have faced two misfiring teams in the Premier League, of who one would have stolen a win at the very end bar a bit of defensive brilliance from Dunk. Far too early to be making judgements like this.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We've conceded 1 goal in the last 3 PL games (against Man City), so it looks pretty good to me. For context:

Leeds scored 2 against Newcastle, 5 against West Brom and 1 against Burnley, winning all those matches, but none against us.

Fulham scored against Man U and Spurs in 2 of their previous 3 PL games

Man City scored 5 against West Brom, 2 against Villa, 4 against Palace and 1 against us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Maybe not completely fixed, but significantly improved

It will be key that the improvement continues.
It will be clean sheets that keep us up, not more goals.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Veltman is very decent. If we do cash in on White, I'd have no concerns about Veltman being a starting CB (if Lamptey is fit to play RB).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Too early to say for sure, but the signs are good based on goals conceded. Especially considering two of our recent games were against Leeds & City, two of the highest scorers in the league.

Sanchez and a return to form for Dunk are perhaps the two most important features of this turnaround.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Maybe not completely fixed, but significantly improved

It will be key that the improvement continues.
It will be clean sheets that keep us up, not more goals.

This. we still have a semi suicidal streak and make mistakes, but a vast improvement on the early season.

It'll be wins that keep us up, not draws.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This. we still have a semi suicidal streak and make mistakes, but a vast improvement on the early season.

It'll be wins that keep us up, not draws.

Draw the next 18 0-0 and we will stay up. :)

12 pts dropped from winning positions says everything we need to know.
As long as that stat gets no worse. We'll be comfortable IMO.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Webster seems much stronger when playing on the right - not so many plunging runs from deep when he is on the left - also seems more prone to an error when on the left. White's runs were pretty good - but different to Webster's in that he likes to get behind a bit more. Seriously, once the forwards start finding the net, I think we are going to look really good. Defence overall is very solid - even against a red-hot Citeh

D

Deleted member 2719

Not convinced. Yes we only conceded one against City (thanks to one of the worst penalties I've seen taken against us for a long time) but we've still conceded sloppy goals because we switched off waiting for the whistle in our cup games and have faced two misfiring teams in the Premier League, of who one would have stolen a win at the very end bar a bit of defensive brilliance from Dunk. Far too early to be making judgements like this.

Yes it may be early, however every team make sloppy goal mistakes.
Sloppy shooting is the real issue.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we've improved our defence by being on top of the other teams we play. Fulham barely got into our half. We kept Leeds and City more at bay than most teams do.

Attack is the best form of defence.

But our strikers need to help our defenders out. You can't keep clean sheets at this level every week. Unstoppable goals will be conceded

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If Potter has fixed the defensive frailties?

Not really. Just like he is not really responsible for the lack of goals.

Its a team sport. About 30 players in the squad, bunch of coaches working with the first team players, bunch of people working to ensure that the players and staff are able to focus on their jobs and have a good work environment. Team wins, team loses, team scores, team concedes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think bringing in Sanchez is the biggest change to our defence since signing Webster.
The whole defence looks so much more confident in him, where, unfortunately, they had lost any confidence in Maty. A brave decision by Graham Potter that is paying off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not fixed maybe, but improved. I think a lot of that is down to the change in GK. It may just be perception, but it doesn't feel as if almost every shot on target is going to be a goal any more.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not fixed maybe, but improved. I think a lot of that is down to the change in GK. It may just be perception, but it doesn't feel as if almost every shot on target is going to be a goal any more.

Yeah this.

I think Sanchez may have even had that first 5 minute screamer covered

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I keep saying it - half time v Wolves we’ve turned a corner and it was key that 2nd half... Credit to GP and the coaching team. Starting to look the real deal now - just gotta take chances.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I keep saying it - half time v Wolves we’ve turned a corner and it was key that 2nd half... Credit to GP and the coaching team. Starting to look the real deal now - just gotta take chances.

and I'm confident we will.

I think our big problem with missed big chances has been not getting the shot away quick enough.
We allow defenders and keepers to set themselves, too much.
We are improving at his though.

Last night:
Trossard's miss was a half decent save, but hit first time.
Maupay's big miss was hit first time.
Maupay's other miss was a very decent save.

If Ali mac continues to play sublime flicks into Maupay's path he will be scoring a hatful soon.

Onwards!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here