Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Eight English Premier League Managers

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Of the eight english Premier league managers seven are managing the lowest teams in the Premier League although Bruce may be gone shortly.

The only one, annoyingly, doing reasonably well is Dean Smith at Villa.

Not a great situation

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Is it the language barrier?

Players performing better when they have no idea what the skipper is on about, and consequently just doing their thing?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The Scot at WHU is doing a good job though.

He is the antithesis of Potter - Moyes doesn't care about performances, it's all about the results. He sets his team up to get the most out of his players, rather than to counter the opposition. His team have a clear tactic of goalscoring which works well. What a novel idea!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He is the antithesis of Potter - Moyes doesn't care about performances, it's all about the results. He sets his team up to get the most out of his players, rather than to counter the opposition. His team have a clear tactic of goalscoring which works well. What a novel idea!

I also believe WHU are one of the clubs that have benefited (results wise) from no spectators. The London Stadium has never been a suitable venue for football but when things weren’t going well that place was thoroughly toxic. No fans in the stadium seems to have liberated West Ham somewhat.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most of them seem to be doing a good job.

The Premier League is not some kind of armwrestling game between 20 managers, football is a team sport. Other things than the manager contributes to where teams end up in the table.

The nationalities of managers... part of that is probably due to football culture / education - up until quite recently pretty much every nation in Europe produced more top players per capita than England - if you can buy success you dont have to develop it. Part of it is because its trendy to hire foreign stuff. It wouldnt surprise me one bit if there are plenty of competent English managers in the lower divisions, but some of the less knowledgable foreign football owners probably thinks Mauro Silva sounds like something more competent and exciting than Paul Cook.

Some owners also seem to believe that unless you've been a great player you can't be a great manager. Most of the competent English managers in recent times took the long road - like Dyche, Howe and Potter - whereas a lot of more recognisable names like Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood, Tony Adams etc. failed to live up to expectations.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I also believe WHU are one of the clubs that have benefited (results wise) from no spectators. The London Stadium has never been a suitable venue for football but when things weren’t going well that place was thoroughly toxic. No fans in the stadium seems to have liberated West Ham somewhat.

I'd definitely agree with that - there have been some stinking performances and results there, if the fans had been there they would have been on the players' backs for sure. It's only really been Liverpool who have had a strong home record (West Brom and Burnley catastrophes aside) during the lockdown matches. Everyone else has been largely inconsistent which has been to the benefit of some managers, our own included, who have avoided the level of criticism they otherwise would have been.

1 home win in a calendar year? We've become Sunderland.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

United, Sociedad and Sunderland fans are all dearly missing the results he produced.

Agree he is a good manager but as always its not as black or white as you think.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You mean this part?

"Scottish born in 1986, not from the streets but the Highland sticks, that's all I can say to the audience, hey, over and out from Kyle Macaulay," was the rap performance of one of his scouts during a concert held alongside one of Sweden's native tribes, in front of 1,600 of the club's fans, months before their famous Europa League win at Arsenal two years ago.

Thats not about GP though, thats about Kyle Macaulay.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
United, Sociedad and Sunderland fans are all dearly missing the results he produced.

Agree he is a good manager but as always its not as black or white as you think.

But I don't think those are good examples. United had an ageing team when Taggart left and the board gave Moyes no money to replace them - he bought Fellaini and Matic IIRC and no-one else. He was on a loser there. As soon as he was gone, the board spent money like a drunken sailor but the results weren't fantastically better.

Sunderland was a toxic club. PDC was right when he said that there was poison there and the board needed to back the manager and clear out the bad influences. They sacked him instead and sacked every other manager - the fact that a club the size of Sunderland is still in League 1 (and not even in play-off position) suggests that it's still a tough gig.

Yeah, Sociedad was a failure but it's always tough moving to a new league and a new language. How many English managers have done well abroad? Hodgson, Robson and, er, Potter. Can't think of many more

So I'd say there were extenuating circumstances at all those clubs.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want him down here

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
You mean this part?

"Scottish born in 1986, not from the streets but the Highland sticks, that's all I can say to the audience, hey, over and out from Kyle Macaulay," was the rap performance of one of his scouts during a concert held alongside one of Sweden's native tribes, in front of 1,600 of the club's fans, months before their famous Europa League win at Arsenal two years ago.

Thats not about GP though, thats about Kyle Macaulay.

Yep. Blush!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here