Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back to the striker thing

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
An out an out striker, not winger come forward, the main goal threat. Not an ageing returnee, but an exciting signing that paid off. How long ago.

Let’s go backwards in our striker line up in recent years, year of squad inclusion/availability too.

Tau
Zequiri

Connolly
Welbeck

Maupay
Trossard

Andone

Locadia

Murray

Baldock
Hemed
Zamora

Mackail-Smith
O’Grady

Ulloa

Recruitment team have not really covered themselves in glory since Leo have they? Only one reason we may be relegated, when will the message get through, or is Tony not ever going to recruit a proven goalscorer? And COVID type losses are a recent thing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Of recent ones, Tross & Tau are attacking midfielders, not strikers.

Zeqiri & Connolly are young lads, they’ve got time to improve.

Maupay gets into fantastic positions and has good all round play but takes around 1-in-4 big chances.

Welbeck doesn’t seem like a natural striker to me.

We might need to grab someone in the next 4 days but it would be a hugely expensive gamble.

If not, it’s just a waiting game for our players to stop aiming for the keeper.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We’ve needed a striker for 2 years.
Why on earth are we still looking !!!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I feel a bit differently about it. I’m actually of the opinion that for the first time in years we have options for the front three.

I completely understand the impatience regarding goals, but I can’t be the only person who watched that match yesterday and thinks that goals are going to come.

We’re having shots on target. Yes, they’re aimed right at the keeper, but we’re getting players in attacking positions who are getting shots away. Our attacking players seem a bit shell shocked by that atm, but the more this happens, the more confidence they’ll gain, the more likely they’ll be to slot them away.

I think Wellbeck when fit will score goals. I think Tau will score goals. If Andone can be rehabilitated I think he will score goals. Maupay will score goals, even Trossard (who is showing great movement with no end product reward) will score goals. I would have Connolly and Zequiri out on loan personally, I think they both need lots of game time at Championship level.

I know we can’t survive for ever with the promise of “jam tomorrow”, but I’m seeing a lot of good in what we’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I feel a bit differently about it. I’m actually of the opinion that for the first time in years we have options for the front three.

I completely understand the impatience regarding goals, but I can’t be the only person who watched that match yesterday and thinks that goals are going to come.

We’re having shots on target. Yes, they’re aimed right at the keeper, but we’re getting players in attacking positions who are getting shots away. Our attacking players seem a bit shell shocked by that atm, but the more this happens, the more confidence they’ll gain, the more likely they’ll be to slot them away.

I think Wellbeck when fit will score goals. I think Tau will score goals. If Andone can be rehabilitated I think he will score goals. Maupay will score goals, even Trossard (who is showing great movement with no end product reward) will score goals. I would have Connolly and Zequiri out on loan personally, I think they both need lots of game time at Championship level.

I know we can’t survive for ever with the promise of “jam tomorrow”, but I’m seeing a lot of good in what we’re doing.

Yeah all this.
Good post

In regards to the OP:
It suspect it is true that , with our approach play + Danny ings/Jamie Vardy, we would be in with a shot of europe this season.
But we don't have this mythical "proven" goalscorer. Which targets are you actually referring to?
With a £67m hole in the accounts, I wouldn't hold your breath.

We are playing better and better each game.
As other have said countless times, our results issue (prior to December) had more to do with goals conceded than it did goals scored.
Potter has solved that. Sanchez coming in has partly resolved that.

There's enough goals in the squad to keep us up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Do u think mitrovic would of missed all the chances we had tonight ? I don’t think so

Mitrovic?
Who can't even make the starting line up for the other team in the league who are unable to score?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do u think mitrovic would of missed all the chances we had tonight ? I don’t think so

Do you mean no league goals since February 2020 Mitrovic? The same one? Then yes I’d say he had a very good chance of missing :shrug:

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I feel they are going to see how Andone does on his return from injury before buying a new striker. t's a gamble as he probably won't feature only towards the end of the season. Otherwise they need to offload some players first, which isn't going to happen until the summer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I feel they are going to see how Andone does on his return from injury before buying a new striker. t's a gamble as he probably won't feature only towards the end of the season. Otherwise they need to offload some players first, which isn't going to happen until the summer.

He must be miles away from actually being match fit.

Jimmy Grimble

He’s a worse finisher than what we’ve got! Ask Fulham fans - they do not rate his finishing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think there's plenty of decent strikers in that list even if it might lack that player. Murray did a decent job from what I've heard, Hemed was a pretty experienced player who would have been a decent signing for most Championship teams, Andone had made an impression in La Liga, Maupay has been relatively good in the PL... some of the guys I dont know enough about but the only one on the list who strikers me as a "wtf are you doing" signing is Locadia.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of recent ones, Tross & Tau are attacking midfielders, not strikers.

Zeqiri & Connolly are young lads, they’ve got time to improve.

Maupay gets into fantastic positions and has good all round play but takes around 1-in-4 big chances.

Welbeck doesn’t seem like a natural striker to me.

We might need to grab someone in the next 4 days but it would be a hugely expensive gamble.

If not, it’s just a waiting game for our players to stop aiming for the keeper.

Surely they practice shooting or heading to the corners?

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I actually think Connolly is potentially an excellent striker. It was a real shame he was injured in the Wolves game, as he scored an instinctive goal, and his overhead kick was phenomenal. He looked to be in good form. Hopefully he'll be back for Spurs and go on a good run. Fingers crossed!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Still 3 days of the window left - plenty of time.

Its been 4 years, and we've never done it yet so don't get your hopes up.

Ulloa was a good signing. The last exciting striker/forward signing we made was Bobby Zamora . . . 21 years ago.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Maupay is statically better than Mane, Bamford, Kane etc on shots to goal ratio so he isn’t more wasteful than most other PL strikers.

Our problem is that as a collective we are poor.

When Kane misses 3 sitters in a game, Son steps up and scores... when Mane misses Salah scores.

The responsibility on Maupay is far to high and when he misses a few no one else steps up and scores which brings the focus much more on him.

I’m not saying Maupay is an elite striker, but given some goals around him from midfield or elsewhere it might help him.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I actually think Connolly is potentially an excellent striker. It was a real shame he was injured in the Wolves game, as he scored an instinctive goal, and his overhead kick was phenomenal. He looked to be in good form. Hopefully he'll be back for Spurs and go on a good run. Fingers crossed!

I agree, there's more potential there and he's the only forward player we currently have in the squad who looks like a goal scorer. He needs to stay on his feet though, and a Welbeck or someone not vertically challenged to aid/support would make a massive difference, ie Zeqiri/Welbeck

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here