Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That substitution was...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jesus Christ the Potter out brigade really are scraping the barrel - it’s embarrassing. Nothing wrong with that sub whatsoever.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
My mistake then but IMO even more damning...why wait so long when it clearly wasnt working and as others have said, why no forwards brought on when those upfront had been so absymally misfiring all game?

Perhaps the biggest red flag for me was listening to Potter after the game....he seemed genuinely pleased with the performance:ohmy:

To be fair there was nothing wrong with the performance. If we had a striker who was in form we would have been 2 or 3 up at half time. I'm guessing that as they monitor the players fitness from the touchline they could see that MacAllisters stats had dropped and might want to make sure he is fit to face Spurs. I'm guessing Gross won't start versus Spurs.

I'm not sure Tau or Connolly would have made a difference. Not been blown away by Tau so far, hopefully once he settles he will be better.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Jesus Christ the Potter out brigade really are scraping the barrel - it’s embarrassing. Nothing wrong with that sub whatsoever.

What did he offer when he came on ? Nothing
Two strikers in bench in a must win game and that’s the only sub he made .Thank god it’s not my money clueless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am going to say ....‘unexpected’
I thought Lallana was going to come on as the player most likely to create a chance
Oh well, I vowed to be ‘Potter in’ after seeing the financial results so will give him the benefit of the doubt

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We played well yesterday, could and should have been 2 or 3 up at half time, and I'm not a Potter outer, but I was distinctly unimpressed by his substitution strategy against Fulham. Wrong player off, wrong player on, and should have sent on another forward or two to try and actually win the bloody match!

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
When Potter finally lost me.

Taking off our most creative player literally ten seconds after setting up one of the best chances of the game and bringing on a bloody hair model who hardly touched the ball for the remaining twenty minutes, while at the same time leaving Gross on to basically jog on the spot for the entire match...No disrepect to Davy and I am sure he's a nice bloke but after four years of watching can anyone name one game he ever turned in our favour?

Sorry but our manager is clueless.

I generally agree with this - having Propper and Gross on in the same team is going backwards and hope neither figure in the Spurs game.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Potter is an absolute clown. The sooner people come to realise it, the better.

If fans were allowed in stadiums, he'd have resigned by now. Fact.

I dunno, if the polls are anything to go by he’s still got the support of the majority.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh god, another betwetter thread :facepalm:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I see the armchair football managers are out in force. Andy Naylor reported about why potter did what he did with the substitutions. We were playing well, controlling the game and creating chances and he didn’t want to disrupt the rhythm of our play too much.

Makes total sense to me. If we were being dominated or creating nothing then yes make a few changes. Wasn’t the case though.

It’s not championship manager, just Chuck a few forward on and hope for the best.

Warren Aspinal said the same.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
People just seem to what things instantly these days... I'm still holding on for a Barry Lloyd substitution.

On a slightly more serious note, our substitutions in the previous three games have not been helpful at all, with players coming on making silly mistakes, like that Solly March throw in, or giving the ball away at every opportunity Percy Tau. I am not surprised GP was cautious in the circumstances. Personally I would have taken Gross off and thrown on another forward, but it is easy to be wise after the event.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It was about playing for the draw wasn't it? It's better to not drop points to Fulham rather than gamble for three because ultimately it is better to be sure of a "comfortable" five point gap than to risk it going down to two. Completely uninspiring in the circumstances

I think everything is "long-term" for Potter. There is no urgency in anything we do (even the Caicedo signing seems to be moving at a snail's pace) on or off the pitch. It's why he clearly isn't worried by the table or our position in it. I fear that we will be building for a better tomorrow for a long time coming, taking baby steps every season towards being a top ten side. Is it too much to say that it would be really nice to forego slow progress and watch us have a complete performance (especially at home) and win a couple of games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here