Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings against Fulham

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sanchez - 6 - Nothing to do. Some ludicrously calm passes in the second half. Maybe could have claimed a cross or or twice but chose to stay

Veltman - 6 - Much better in his own half than attacking.

Dunk - 7 - Showed that he's a natural born defender at the end of the match. Fine passing as well

Webster - 6 - Didn't carry the ball as frequently as usual and lucky to get away with a loose pass in the first half. Looks less comfortable on the left of a 3.

White - 5 - Had a massive brainwave when giving the ball away twice in quick succession in the second half. Played some nice passes over the top

March - 8 - Solid as. Too many floaty crosses though

Bissouma - 7 - Controlled the midfield

Gross - 8 - MOM - Looked great at centre mid. Just gets the ball and spreads it wide. Tired after about 75 mins, should have come off

MacAllister - 6 - Good first half but tired in the second

Trossard - 2 - Sorry Leo but that finishing is piss poor. Surely can't be retained in a central position. Actually some decent work out wide, but is desperately poor in front of goal and as far as I can tell, always has been

Maupay - 3 - Again, some decent work outside the box. But just misses too many chances

Propper - 3 - One gash pass his sole contribution to the match. Not the player to bring on when you need a goal. A very strange substitution

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sanchez - 6 - nothing to do but he is a presence;

White - 5 - couple of bad mistakes that could have cost us and and he got Biss booked. Not great;
Dunk - 7 - solid and magnificent clearance at the end;
Webster - 7 - unfortunate to be shunted to the left of defence again but did well;

Veltman - 6 - average game by his standards;
Bissouma - 7 - usual good performance. So strong and dominant in midfield;
Gross - 6 - average. Wouldn’t start for me;
March - 9 - MOM - brilliant. Again;

Mac Allister - 7 - very clever player and works so hard. If he had capable finishers alongside him he would be an assist machine;
Maupay - 6 - played ok overall but his finishing just pisses me off;
Trossard - 6 - see Maupay.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sanchez - 6
Veltman - 6
March - 8 MOTM
White - 6
Dunk - 7.5
Webster - 7
Bissouma - 7
Gross - 7
MacAllister - 7.5
Trossard - 6.5
Maupay - 6.5

Propper - 6

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sanchez 5 - solid enough, not his busiest night, played some poor passes and wasn't responsible for the biggest defensive save of the night

White 5 - played some very iffy passes and gave the ball away several times, not his finest hour
Dunk 8 MOTM - not his job to score so can forgive him the missed efforts, point-saving block at the end
Webster 5 - nothing like as effective on the left side as the right

Veltman 7 - a solid display, a shame his crossing let him down a few times
Bissouma 6 - early yellow card nullified him to an extent, did OK without being at the levels we have seen recently
Gross 5 - sometimes he carries us, other times we carry him, tonight was more of the latter
MacAllister 7 - created some of our best chances, played some wonderful passes to others around the box, why he wasn't on set-pieces I don't know
March 6 - threatened at times, should have scored, blew hot and cold defensively

Trossard 3 - had several good chances, should have buried at least one, some nice play later on but otherwise another poor night
Maupay 5 - fluffed his lines again a few times but put in a decent shift

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I thought Trossard was pretty good ... So I'm not going to bother apart from a toss up between March and MacAllister for MOM for us and overall MOMs being some of their defence.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sanchez 6: Had nothing to do. Third clean sheet in 9 league games. If he maintains a clean sheet every three games we'll stay up.

White 6: Couple of mistakes brought the ball out well on occasion. I'm not fully against the idea that defensive midfield could be his best position...

Dunk 7: Assured. Classic last minute goal line clearance.

Webster 6: Did ok but not up to the high standards he's set this season. Looks much better on the right side of the three. It's a conundrum for Potter to sort out. Is white on the right and Webster on the left better than Webster on the right and Burn on the left. I think it is but I'd like to see us get a better option for the left and have Webster and White fight it out for the right.

Veltman 6: Solid defensively but a little Montoya-esque going forward today. This was a game where we really could have done with Lamptey's pace.

March 7: Solid in defense, provided good width and presence going forward.

Bissouma 7: Fine. Didn't have too much hard stuff to do.

Gross 6.5: Decent enough.

Ally Mac 7: I'm really liking the look of him at the moment. We've got to get him on the ball as much as possible while his form is this good.

Maupay 6: Some good work, must be a nightmare to play against other than...just bloody score!!!! I was hoping his goal at Leeds would have brought back his confidence but when he's in front of goal he looks bereft at the moment. We really need him to snap out of it as his forward play with Ally Mac and Trossard looks really good.

Trossard 6: Similar to Maupay. some lovely touches, good creative and link up play but...just bloody score!!!!

Propper n/a: not on long enough.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sanchez 6: Had nothing to do. Third clean sheet in 9 league games. If he maintains a clean sheet every three games we'll stay up.

White 6: Couple of mistakes brought the ball out well on occasion. I'm not fully against the idea that defensive midfield could be his best position...

Webster 6: Did ok but not up to the high standards he's set this season. Looks much better on the right side of the three. It's a conundrum for Potter to sort out. Is white on the right and Webster on the left better than Webster on the right and Burn on the left. I think it is but I'd like to see us get a better option for the left and have Webster and White fight it out for the right.

Veltman 6: Solid defensively but a little Montoya-esque going forward today. This was a game where we really could have done with Lamptey's pace.

Ally Mac 7: I'm really liking the look of him at the moment. We've got to get him on the ball as much as possible while his form is this good.

Maupay 6: Some good work, must be a nightmare to play against other than...just bloody score!!!! I was hoping his goal at Leeds would have brought back his confidence but when he's in front of goal he looks bereft at the moment. We really need him to snap out of it as his forward play with Ally Mac and Trossard looks really good.

Trossard 6: Similar to Maupay. some lovely touches, good creative and link up play but...just bloody score!!!!

I'd say about the same.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Another one who’d agree with this

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Another one to agree with these ratings spot on..
On another day with better finishing from our front 3, that could have been hiding.. Cant be too hard on them due to the chances created for each other.. Just find the bloody net!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Sanchez 6 - Nothing to do

White 7 - Solid
Dunk 8 - MOM, really back to his best
Webster 7 - Solid

Veltman 6 - Would be higher but he can't cross
Bissouma 7 - Solid but really lacked any creativity
Gross 7 - Did fine
Mac Allister 7 - Another good performance
March 7 - Just really reliable at LWB, we miss Tariq on the other side

Maupay 5 - Liked his hold up play, his chances were slightly harder than Trossard's but he should have scored at least once
Trossard 4 - There's a player in there but his finishing is atrocious

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Another one to agree with these ratings spot on..
On another day with better finishing from our front 3, that could have been hiding.. Cant be too hard on them due to the chances created for each other.. Just find the bloody net!

How many times have we said this season that batter finishing would have led to a comfortable win? I like your positivity, but the absolute maximum I could give Maupay and Trossard would be a five.

Both of their work outside the box is good. Trossard missed another absolute sitter by Premier League standards, but the difference between them is that Maupay’s job is as our striker, and his goal scoring ability and decision making are shocking.

The three that stand out last night are:

1. His wild blaze over in the second half when he had to score.
2. His decision to shoot from 30 yards in the first half when he had runners in space to his right.
3. His decision to cut back onto his left foot, into loads of defenders, when he again had runners in space to his right. It was similar to his decision against Palace and passed up a clear opportunity to score. He was lucky to win a free kick.

Maybe his finishing ability reflects the relatively little money we paid for him by PL standards, but I was hoping for more from someone who scored 26 Championship goals the season before he joined.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Propper - 3 - One gash pass his sole contribution to the match. Not the player to bring on when you need a goal. A very strange substitution

But, but, but, Potter is the best English manager in the EPL, everyone keeps telling us this.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
How many times have we said this season that batter finishing would have led to a comfortable win? I like your positivity, but the absolute maximum I could give Maupay and Trossard would be a five.

Both of their work outside the box is good. Trossard missed another absolute sitter by Premier League standards, but the difference between them is that Maupay’s job is as our striker, and his goal scoring ability and decision making are shocking.

The three that stand out last night are:

1. His wild blaze over in the second half when he had to score.
2. His decision to shoot from 30 yards in the first half when he had runners in space to his right.
3. His decision to cut back onto his left foot, into loads of defenders, when he again had runners in space to his right. It was similar to his decision against Palace and passed up a clear opportunity to score. He was lucky to win a free kick.

Maybe his finishing ability reflects the relatively little money we paid for him by PL standards, but I was hoping for more from someone who scored 26 Championship goals the season before he joined.

Maupay does miss chances like pretty much every PL striker BUT he’s already got 7 this season which is a decent return at this level and puts him on course for 10+ for the season.

Our big problem is that no one is scoring apart from him! We had 10 corners last night plus free kicks near the box but never looked like scoring which has been typical for this season and last.

It’s b*** frustrating but pointing the finger just at Maupay is not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6
Veltman- 7
Dunk - 7
Webster - 6
White - 6
March - 7
Bissouma - 7
Gross - 6
Trossard - 6
Maupay - 6
MacAllister - 7

Propper - N/ A

Potter - 5 - subs. Too few too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sanchez 5 -- nothing to do, but kicking was below his normal level
Veltman 6 -- solid, got forward but never delivered anything that really troubled their defence, dovetailed well with White in the final quarter of game and pitch
White 6 -- good defensive positioning enables him to make timely interceptions, also see Veltman
Dunk 8 MotM -- that block consolidated a point, he's amazing at blocking shots, and has been back to top form in the last c6 games
Webster 7 -- did a lot of good stuff, as is usually the case
March 7 -- did what he normally does, put in a real shift, defensively solid, dangerous at times in the attack
Bissouma 6 -- influential again, that early booking affected what he could do, although he put in a stunning tackle in the second half leaving me wondering whether he should have done that. He's audacious and, on balance, it'd be better if that wasn't coached out of him
Gross 5.5 -- ticked things over, but nothing of real note
Mac Allister 5.5 -- see Gross
Trossard 6 (8 for all round play, 4 for finishing) -- unlike others, I thought he was pretty good last night, he was really involved, put a shift in, at the centre of the most dangerous things we did, put a number of decent balls in. He should have put that first effort in though, it wasn't a miss, but he should have found the corner, lifted it or, preferably, both. The blocked effort that followed, I thought he should have played it in for Maupay.
Maupay 5 (6 for all round play, 4 for finishing) -- had the opportunities, didn't kill them off

Propper n/a

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maupay does miss chances like pretty much every PL striker BUT he’s already got 7 this season which is a decent return at this level and puts him on course for 10+ for the season.

Our big problem is that no one is scoring apart from him! We had 10 corners last night plus free kicks near the box but never looked like scoring which has been typical for this season and last.

Exactly. Trossard was just as, or even more, culpable last night. It has also been said on this thread that it's not a CB's job to score: it is, we need more goals, and we need more players scoring.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

b***?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Sanchez 6.5: Quiet but some poor distribution on occasions.

White 6.5: Couple of mistakes bringing the ball out but handled Fulham's principal threat well.

Dunk 7: Untested until the final minutes. Clearance critical

Webster 6.5: Similar to White, an error or two bringing the ball out but nullified Fulham effectively.

Veltman 6.5: Some very smart play at times, showing his experience, nous and alertness to opportunities. Offers a better defensive side to Lamptey but not close to the attacking threat.

March 6.5: Solid in defense, but was dealt with well by Fulham. Doesn't fancy it on his right at all which makes him easy to nullify.

Bissouma 6.5: Lots of work defensively but didn't dominate or offer a lot going forward as Fulham stacked the middle

Gross 6.5: See Bissouma

Ally Mac 7: Again lots of work, a couple of sublime passes, should have had an assist

Maupay 6.5: Work hard and pleased to see instinctive shooting, much better over the last few games but should have scored

Trossard 6.5: Better ball retention and some nice skill to create chances, should have scored

Propper 6: not on long enough.

Subs:

I though Potter got it right in delaying subs as we had the measure of Fulham and were dominant. Perhaps it was too early for Connolly or Lallana after injury and he clearly doesn't trust Tau or Zeqiri to see out a game (given recent experience) Gross was also flagging and again probably not the right time to introduce Moder, hence Propper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here