Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emperors new clothes

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No. Tau was an option. Lala. AC. What does Potter do? Take off our best creator and put on the underwhelming Propper. Just plain wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then we might have stopped creating the chances we were making anyway. As I say, we had just 2 league goals on the bench anyway, hardly proven chance takers.

It is standard management to not disrupt the balance of play when you’re playing well and creating chances.

To me this was just another game that proved Potter is an excellent coach who knows how to set a side up to win a game but also backs up your biannual crusade for us to sign a striker!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
As the manager maybe he should pick someone else?

How about telling his players , that when they are shooting at goal , don’t aim at the keeper , but just inside the posts , and if you watch Glen Murray he used to pass the ball into the net , you don’t have to smack the ball in to the net

Feb 9, 2012
perth
Honestly I couldnt care less if either of them only had one touch per game as long as it resulted in a bloody goal! That is there only purpose in the team- create or score. How many times did Glenn do exactly that and who wouldnt swap a young Murray for both of them in a heartbeat right now?

IMO If they cannot do either, they dont deserve thier spot. Sorry if that sounds harsh but watching the same Groundhog day horror show virtually every week is starting to drive me insane:tantrum:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I watched MOTD earlier and noticed that when one of our players (can't remember who but probably one of the two mentioned above) fluffed their lines and shot straight at the keeper Potter just seemed resigned to that outcome and had a " Oh well never mind, oopsy daisy, next time maybe" kind of reaction to it.
I'd like to see him really get wound up and show some real emotion, you know, throw his hands up in the air, turn around quickly and storm around the technical area all moody like, shouting easily discernible swear words all over the place. Maybe even kick something, or even someone.
Grrrrrrr go on Graham, show us your dark side. So we can see you have passion and drive.

Without Maupay’s goals we would have been relegated and I think the same will hold true this season, be careful what you wish for, we have no one near him currently in his capacity to get goals.

Trossard is having a rotten run in front of goal, hard to know what to do about that

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Without Maupay’s goals we would have been relegated and I think the same will hold true this season, be careful what you wish for, we have no one near him currently in his capacity to get goals.

Trossard is having a rotten run in front of goal, hard to know what to do about that

He's bang out of form, it happens. quite simply you drop him, he goes and plays reserve team football, then returns when hungry and on form again. Simple enough even for Graham to understand. :down:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But when you’re playing well like we were and creating chances, substitutions can sometimes have the opposite effect and you stop creating chances. There is absolutely no guarantee that the players brought on would take the chances but they might upset the balance of play.

And it’s not like our subs are lethal finishers. We had two goals this season on the bench tonight.

I genuinely think Potter is doing a brilliant job with the tools he has.

I hear what you’re saying, and there’s an element of truth behind it. Dismissing the subs as only having 2 goals between them seems a little short sighted when the 3 substitute attackers have played less games than Trossard and have twice as many goals. Trossard wasn’t going to score last night no matter what, let’s not pretend he’s on a hot streak and could score at any time, he’s grossly out of form and hasn’t scored since the first game of the season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think both played well. Unfortunately neither scored the one clear chance they had. Frustrating.

Not aimed at you specifically as many of us have said the same thing, repeatedly for months.

If your job is to score goals to win games and you are repeatedly not doing it and not getting the results you need you have failed.

tippy tappy looking nice against Man City may win praise for it's aesthetics, but we still lost, negative goal difference and no points.

Doing the same against what is considered a 'lesser' team ( I don't agree with that, we're just as bad) and again having the same nice approach, failing to score and failing to win. FAIL.

Potterbasll may work IF we had Man City players, but we don't have, and quite obviously are not going to get them. Therefore to succeed surely requires a different approach . . . . . That IMO is where Potter is wrong going wrong.

We need to cut our coat to suit our cloth. We're currently masquerading in a Maserati body kit, but its a Fiat 500 underneath.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Maupay is competitive, a bit of a handfall for opposing players and occasionally scores. Feels like that is the best we're going to get at the moment.

That effort he blazed over the bar following Mac's lovely flick, a player substitiuted straight afterwards, kinda summed up the whole problem.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I watched MOTD earlier and noticed that when one of our players (can't remember who but probably one of the two mentioned above) fluffed their lines and shot straight at the keeper Potter just seemed resigned to that outcome and had a " Oh well never mind, oopsy daisy, next time maybe" kind of reaction to it.
I'd like to see him really get wound up and show some real emotion, you know, throw his hands up in the air, turn around quickly and storm around the technical area all moody like, shouting easily discernible swear words all over the place. Maybe even kick something, or even someone.
Grrrrrrr go on Graham, show us your dark side. So we can see you have passion and drive.

You're right. When Trossard got that first chance in the penalty area, he thought "the manager is going to make X gesture instead of Y gesture so I might just make a poor shot instead of the masterpiece shot I would have made if he would have made gesture Y instead of gesture X".

Because thats how it works in the world. Surgeons remove the wrong body part if their boss is calm and collected and the right one if their boss is furious and screaming. Firefighters pour petroleum on the fire if their bosses are calm and collected but extinguish the fire if they are angry and wound up. And strikers give the ball to the keeper if their coaches are calm and collected and score a dozen of world class goals if their bosses are angry and screaming.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Trossard is awful lately, Maupay just isn’t clinical enough to be our main striker. He makes the wrong decisions too often.

Apart from awful finishing, they played well and had some great touches.

I do think that there is a massive problem with confidence and Maupay especially never seems prepared to just have a go and needs an extra touch "to make sure"

Watching Liverpool V Utd last week was a bit like us. Loads of one touch passing around the penalty area until a defender's foot breaks the move up and they counter attack very quickly.

I think we are likely to be more dangerous against better teams who will attack us and we can counter attack but still think our finishing will let us down.

As for set pieces, I do not understand why a) Only Gross takes them and b) Why there is another playing standing near the ball when everyone knows a) applies.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
But when you’re playing well like we were and creating chances, substitutions can sometimes have the opposite effect and you stop creating chances. There is absolutely no guarantee that the players brought on would take the chances but they might upset the balance of play.

And it’s not like our subs are lethal finishers. We had two goals this season on the bench tonight.

I genuinely think Potter is doing a brilliant job with the tools he has.

I dont disagree on a lot you have said,but I do feel that Trossard and Maupay were tired and perhaps a fresh set of legs may well have scored that over the bar last chance,it nearly worked for Fulham if it wasnt for Dunk.
And agree our subs may not be lethal finishers atm but unless you give them the opportunity we are never going to know.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think half the players are intelligent enough to repsond to Potters nicely nicely social worker approach. They need firing up, not necessarily the full hairdryer treatment, but a bit more than 'never mind lads, well played, you're all great, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. we learnt something new today didn't we, we can use that going forward, oh, and don't forget to pic up your £40k on the way out.

Those that are, lets use MacAllister as an example, know not to respond or react if they get subbed despite being one of the best performing players on the pitch for fear of getting ostracised ( see Maupay)

Another example of Potters failings with where we are and what he's got.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
I know he's past it as a Premier League player but we really do miss the composure & cleverness of Glen Murray Infront of goal.

Would love to have seen a younger, faster Murray in this side. We'd be mid-table minimum right now & he'd probably have 15+ goals with the amount of chances we create. He's is/was a class above what we currently have as forwards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Try utilising one or two of the four attacking options he had warming the bench maybe?

Tau, Zeqiri and Connolly? Hardly inspiring. From what we've seen so far, Maupay and Trossard are better than all of them, they did play well and I don't think any of those three would have contributed more than what they did to the overall performance.

Ultimately Potter can't stick it in the net for them though. These are experienced, expensive attackers. They shouldn't be missing the chances they are and I don't think any manager can be blamed for that. With Maupay, possibly this is his level and he'll always be a 10 goal a season man in the top league, missing chances along the way. If we had other playing scoring, it would be less of an issue.

Trossard is the frustrating one though as I think he has the talent to score many more but it's a mental thing now. They need to get out on the training ground with Walton and literally work all hours improving their finishing and hopefully it becomes second nature in the end, especially to Trossard.

For me the only player on our bench who would have made a difference last night is Lallana but he clearly wasn't fit enough.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
All this "they just need firing up" and "Potter need to show more emotion" nonsense really does make me laugh. Do people really think that if a player misses a chance, that looking over at the bench to see the manager going postal at them will help their confidence? Especially when those players confidence seems to balance on a knife-edge at all times anyway?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I tend to agree with you but I think the manager has drained the life out of them! Give this squad to a decent manager and we would be well away from danger!

Is this a joke? Drained the life out of them how? By creating a team that creates chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance for them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here