Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No fence - good performance or not?

Did we play well or bad?

• Well

Votes: 236 77.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 70 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We have played a lot worse, and won. We’d have all taken that last night and some would have then complained about the performance!

We are making the hardest part of the game seem
even harder than it is this season.
It’s almost embarrassing to witness how we cannot score gilt edge opportunities every single game.
The opposition must laugh their socks off in the dressing room after a game.
Most other Prem sides would have scored at least 3 against them last night! Citeh would have probably hit at least 5 past them!

The Propper substitution was a tad bizarre but I’m still a Potter firmly in supporter. Just a fecking frustrated one. Tross and Maupay’s finishing this season has really made me question my sanity. It’s incredible, frustrating, woeful, embarrassing, annoying and much much more besides.

We are a good side in waiting, but not for much longer or we’ll be playing championship football if we cannot finish teams off! I think it’s fair to say that we should expect many more points from the sides below us that we have not been able to.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The players put in a shift and are playing as well as they can, performance good finishing woeful, will it click, I damn well hope so. Potter IN.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It feels like the salesman who does almost everything right. Good phone manner, makes plenty of appointments, turns up to see clients, looks smart and professional and presents well. Only trouble is...he rarely closes a deal.
The boss likes him, as do the rest of the staff, so they are patient. He will come good. Its just a matter of time. As time goes by and nothing much changes, some of the staff start talking about him and questioning his results. The boss ignores all this. He interviewed brilliantly. The boss is sold on him and refuses to press the panic button. The days and weeks pass. Sales figures are disappointing. There is an odd crumb of comfort. Eventually the boss confides in his wife. He isn't sure what to do about declining sales. He tells her that so and so is a great representative of the company, he wants to keep him and believes he will come good.
The wife says..." What did you hire him to do? Look good or increase sales? "

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It feels like the salesman who does almost everything right. Good phone manner, makes plenty of appointments, turns up to see clients, looks smart and professional and presents well. Only trouble is...he rarely closes a deal.
The boss likes him, as do the rest of the staff, so they are patient. He will come good. Its just a matter of time. As time goes by and nothing much changes, some of the staff start talking about him and questioning his results. The boss ignores all this. He interviewed brilliantly. The boss is sold on him and refuses to press the panic button. The days and weeks pass. Sales figures are disappointing. There is an odd crumb of comfort. Eventually the boss confides in his wife. He isn't sure what to do about declining sales. He tells her that so and so is a great representative of the company, he wants to keep him and believes he will come good.
The wife says..." What did you hire him to do? Look good or increase sales? "

If the handle on the hoover the salesman is selling comes off when he demonstrates it you are going to blame him not the company (manufacturer) that he can’t close a sale? Then when you send him out again and the same thing happens you think the solution is to sack him not improve the quality of the product.

If so I completely get why you want Potter sacked :smile:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If the handle on the hoover the salesman is selling comes off when he demonstrates it you are going to blame him not the company (manufacturer) that he can’t close a sale? Then when you send him out again and the same thing happens you think the solution is to sack him not improve the quality of the product.

If so I completely get why you want Potter sacked :smile:

Bad workmen blame their tools.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The bottom line I don't think we will go down, just, but never mind Glenn Murray, we might as well sign Bill Murray, as this will be Groundhog Day next January when Potter has the team roughly in the same situation.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The bottom line I don't think we will go down, just, but never mind Glenn Murray, we might as well sign Bill Murray, as this will be Groundhog Day next January when Potter has the team roughly in the same situation.

I think the sight of Bill Murray in a Brighton kit would fill me with so much joy I would actually burst.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
I think Potter was happy with the point by them and wanted to get control of the midfield. A loss would have been a disaster. We’ve got four winnable games in February, best to fight another day.

We had a winnable game yesterday and never took it, what’s says we will do any better in those winnable games in February. We could also be in the bottom 3 come February

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I would argue that the "performance" was better than the one at Leeds... we restricted Fulham to less, created more good chances than we did at Elland Road and dominated possession for longer. The only difference we didnt take the most presentable chance that came our way. There was no side-foot tap in to an empty net.. Very little has changed. I don't understand the notion that GP has to foot the blame for missed chances (Trossard/Dunk), anymore than he should take the credit for the one we scored. He made one change from the team vs. Leeds - not one I agreed with, but again, that had no bearing on the level of performance, and for me, given that Fulham are a different proposition than Leeds, one that there is a case for getting Bissouma into the side. Scott Parker called it "an onslaught at times" . Its a tough one to take albeit a draw was the most predictable result. That it feels that it should have been more is horribly frustrating but you could be Fulham.. a point against the team you are chasing is better than the performance deserved. What chances do you have left to keep closing that gap?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Good performance, poor finishing, sums up our season thus far , not much else to say really .

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
A simple queston that has been posed already but, as far as this irregular poster can see, never answered. "In what way were Potter and his management team responsible for Neil Maupay's failure to convert the chance resulting from the quick free kick in the second half?" And one supplementary but equally simple question - "Which currently out of work manager would have ensured that he scored from it?"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Voted “well”. But it means nothing.

Performances don’t matter. Victories do matter.

Out of interest, if we'd been playing the same way as we had under Hughton in the last 6 months (0 shots most games, rarely leaving our half, 10 men behind the ball with Locadia up top etc) would that impact team confidence? Fan morale? Board expectations? I'd argue very much yes.

Performances DO matter. Of course results matter more, but you're more likely to get better results with better performances. I for one would rather watch this side create a myriad of chances every game and miss them than never see us leave our own half. At least now we can clearly see what's missing and what needs fixing: popping that little round thing into the big rectangle, whilst keeping the small round thing away from the average sized human in the middle.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A simple queston that has been posed already but, as far as this irregular poster can see, never answered. "In what way were Potter and his management team responsible for Neil Maupay's failure to convert the chance resulting from the quick free kick in the second half?"

Potter was appointed as Head Coach on 20 May 2019. It is his job to coach, train and improve our players. He has had 20 months to do so. If the players aren't performing well surely that means as Head Coach he isn't doing a very good job?

As for your second question I can't answer. That's why I'm on the fence.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You can’t have it both ways, financially the club is struggling, relegation would be a financial shit storm TB would be using his own money again to keep us competitive in the championship with no guarantees of promotion.

Yet the majority are happy with a manger who’s sleep walking us back to the championship :shrug: I will never get the buzz for Potter, for me an impressive manager is one that wins games of football.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad over 76% saw it how the neutral pundits and a number of Fulham fans saw it. Whole point of thread. Well done lads and GP - excellent performance and continuing our recent run of good displays overall :clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here