Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Missing the fans

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
En masse? you do realise the potter outs are in the minority right?

You believe that do you? The majority don't post on here and in fact this place is full of those that don't set foot in the Amex ever. Those that go will undoubtedly of had enough of zero, zip. naught wins this season. End of.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Wouldn't take many to make themselves heard. And if people had gone through the effort of actually going to the games to be served up this level of result repeatedly a few more heads would likely be being turned. It's one thing to watch us fail to win playing nice passes around in a warm living room with beer and food in the fridge, quite another when you know you've got a 2 hour journey on a freezing cold Southern train to look forward to after the game.

So they don't sing, but they will make their voices heard about how the manager is poor? We have great fans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Potter is only in a job still due to no fans

Personally, I think this is true. Bloom and Barber can easily ignore a load of people ranting on here, or on Twitter, or anywhere else online as "noise". But ignoring en masse booing and likely some displaying open demands for change during games through chanting etc. would be a whole lot more difficult. Not that they wouldn't try, they tried to blag their way through it with Hyppia, but the sheer length of time this has dragged on would be leading to more and more joining those calls, booing at the end of games etc. If we just take the four games against the teams around us this season I suspect things could have turned quite ugly with each of those passing games.

It's possible. I think another aspect is that I believe some of the people who are Potter in or fence while watching at home, would be swayed by the negativity in the fans at the ground, the moaning etc would impact on their enjoyment of the game. It's easy to enjoy the defence and build up play and tolerate the constant missing when you're at home. When you're surrounded by people moaning, frustrated criticising chances, suddenly the enjoyment of the game goes down.

However, I just think Tony Bloom is hard to have a bead on when it comes to managerial movements. When he took over we had Slade in position, and according to the rumours, Bloom didn't want him but the Board kept him when he kept us up the previous season. Then Bloom officially took over and we started the season poorly. There was, I believe, an October review when a lot of people thought Bloom would sack him, but he kept him. I remember this because I remember Andy Naylor writing an article praising the decision to keep him, and showed he wasn't going to rush to sack managers. It wasn't that long after this that Slade was sacked. Then we had Gus, and that ended in unusual fashion. Garcia quit (?). Then Hyypia came in and the fans were toxic, and yet Bloom refused to sack him. It needed Hyypia to walk away for that reign to come to an end. Then there was Hughton. Lose to Bournemouth 5-0 and in the following match where the players should be responding to that result we lost to Cardiff. It seemed Hughton would be off, but he stayed, and we stayed up with a match to spare. It seemed Hughton has survived the wobble andwe were set to continue that long term relationship, hoping for a review over the summer to avoid a repeat of the dull football, but the next day Hughton was sacked.

There doesn't really seem to be much of a pattern. Tony is by turn ruthless and loyal to a fault, seemingly not impacted by the fans. So even though I agree the environment would have been incredibly toxic if fans were in the ground, I don't know if we can see it would have led to Potter being sacked.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Genuinely think having no home league wins so far this season would mean there would be a sizeable minority of pissed off season ticket holders. Whilst there wouldn’t be widespread booing there would be even more early leavers than usual plus lots of moaning and grumbling.

Definitely think no fans has done Potter a favour. Last season he blamed the fans for the bad performances but it’s worse this season with no fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Those last 15 - 20 minutes, with the pressure we had on them, the Amex would have been rocking, would have been so so loud. Times like these our crowd really is an extra man, I think they're missing us :(

It's a decent point.

No matter how frustrated we are at our player's inability to score, it is nothing compared to how frustrating it is to them.
When they miss a sitter in current conditions, there may be no despairing groans but there is also no roar 5 seconds later, encouraging them to go again.

Just the frustration remains.
In Trossard's case this has built to horrendous levels now.
The woodwork hat-trick agai9nst United still looms large.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Genuinely think having no home league wins so far this season would mean there would be a sizeable minority of pissed off season ticket holders. Whilst there wouldn’t be widespread booing there would be even more early leavers than usual plus lots of moaning and grumbling.

Definitely think no fans has done Potter a favour. Last season he blamed the fans for the bad performances but it’s worse this season with no fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe for a minute we'd have no home wins if the Amex was full every game. We'd have won last night with fans, I'm certain of it.

What I struggle to comprehend is the majority of people on this thread saying there would have been boos all game from 'the fans'. Are we not fans too? I know I'd have been making noise and cheering us on, wouldn't you all have been doing the same?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fans were great tonight and the team responded. Hats off to all of you who were there for creating such a loud and positive atmosphere and roaring us on :)

Nice to hear 'Graham Potters blue and white army' sang loudly, an answer from the masses to the moaning minority on here.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fans were great tonight and the team responded. Hats off to all of you who were there for creating such a loud and positive atmosphere and roaring us on :)

Nice to hear 'Graham Potters blue and white army' sang loudly, an answer from the masses to the moaning minority on here.

I stood for 4 graham potters blue and white army before being pulled out to the Concorse by an over enthusiastic steward. Luckily the senior steward new the score. Whoever was in the north towards the police box. Fair play proper loud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here