Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Influencers

Had a couple come in to my shop were on an all expenses paid weekend in Brighton at the Hilton. Paid for by the i360 on condition they gave a good review to their 1000's reading it. They were hinting at a discount from me as well.

They always want stuff for free, or they say they'll put good reviews in return for cheap products. Just **** off you unfamous ****.

As a full time Dubai resident, I can confirm these ****ers are NOT welcome here, and that the expat population is mightily pissed off with them for a) undoubtedly contributing to cases rising here and b) endangering the air links between the UAE and other countries that many of us rely on for reasons other than a self-indulgent “influencer” holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've seen. Residents fuming at them for going.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes. They are selfish and annoying. But there is a world where you don’t have to look at them. Simply by not looking at them.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
A lot of them go to Dubai as they have a 'sponsor' that pays for them to go to there. I'm sure you can all guess why!

Dubai is heavily reliant on influencers for its tourist industry, so much so that they have made a kind of "Faustian pact" formalised by an official influencer licence which costs in the region of £3000. The content of the influencer posts while they are "holidaying" in Dubai is all state controlled. The "state sponsored" influencers who travel there can't operate without that licence.

The influencers' followers are therefore actually being indirectly influenced by the Dubai government as it is they who essentially control the content of the influencers' posts while they are there.....

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/12/the-dark-truth-about-dubais-influencer-marketing

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I recorded this documentary on sky documentaries and watched it this afternoon 'Fake Famous' https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/1d8742a2-c52e-461f-a1f1-7de35601ec14 Where they try to turn three "ordinary people" (an actress, and a couple of people who moved to LA seeking fame, y'know, regular folk) into internet influencers. It was mildly interesting. It repeats on Sunday at 15:25 or is available on demand now.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
These people have some front - I know of a kid's gymnastic coach who also has thousands of followers as a "sports clothing influencer" with plenty of underwear and cleavage shots thrown in on her site.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Dubai is heavily reliant on influencers for its tourist industry, so much so that they have made a kind of "Faustian pact" formalised by an official influencer licence which costs in the region of £3000. The content of the influencer posts while they are "holidaying" in Dubai is all state controlled. The "state sponsored" influencers who travel there can't operate without that licence.

The influencers' followers are therefore actually being indirectly influenced by the Dubai government as it is they who essentially control the content of the influencers' posts while they are there.....

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/12/the-dark-truth-about-dubais-influencer-marketing

That’s a pretty one-sided interpretation.

Another angle on it is to remember there’s no income tax in Dubai. The only way the Govt gets revenue from people “working” here is through licenses and visas. Without those, anybody or any business could “work” in Dubai without any financial compensation to the State, even modest and nominal.

No matter who you are or what you do, you (or your business) needs a licence and a working visa.

Why should social media influencers be exempt from that? If they want to be here and make income from it, then they need to pay - same as anyone else in a “gig economy” style role does, from say a freelance web designer to a fitness coach. If it’s your profession and livelihood, expect to be treated the same as everyone else.

That’s WHY the licence exists. As to the Govt controlling everything an influencer posts, and telling them what to post, that again is twisting it some.

While Dubai is far from the medieval intolerance Daily Mail readers would love to believe it is, it is still a Muslim country, with beliefs and traditions that need respecting to a reasonable degree.

If someone’s Dubai-based social media content is overtly sexual, for example, or abusive towards others, or just showing people getting smashed on booze constantly, then the Govt here wants to have the ability to cancel your licence and thereby make it illegal for you to continue posting stuff like that. Similarly if your content is likely to lead to controversy, litigation or the like, then again the Govt wants to have some control over its potential culpability.

That might not tally with a liberalized Western ‘freedom of speech’ mindset, but that’s the deal here, so if someone doesn’t agree with it, go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
These people have some front - I know of a kid's gymnastic coach who also has thousands of followers as a "sports clothing influencer" with plenty of underwear and cleavage shots thrown in on her site.

That sounds awful. I don't suppose you have a link so I know how to avoid it..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't be the only 40+ year old person who has spent some time in previous years enjoying watching QVC or those endless TV adverts that run on channels that don't start broadcasting proper programmes until a certain time in the morning? The gadgets, the mops, the collectors CDs, etc. Spending time watching those 'order now and we'll also throw in a set of steak knives' things are essentially precursors to the modern day influence. People who are paid to show us how great a product is so that we buy them, it's just these people do it via social media rather than the cheapest broadcast tv options.

Quite. Influencers are nothing more than people pushing products, brands and lifestyles. Okay, it’s new in the sense it’s always prefixed by a overly enthusiastic “Hi guys” and it’s via platforms other than tv or print but that’s it. I will file influencing under one generation not quite understanding the previous generation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can you provide the link please....I’d like to see how much “front” she has.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here