Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55822602

Coronavirus: EU demands UK-made AstraZeneca vaccine doses

The EU seem to be trying to make up for their delay in placing their vaccine order by trying some strong arm tactics on AstraZeneca. A supply logistics expert on Sky News just now was saying the UK’s early placement of its vaccine order enabled early investment by the company in production infrastructure in the UK.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Our government hasn't exactly covered itself in glory in the epidemic but the vaccine policy has been a success. The EU vaccine policy has been shambolic. I am very glad those clamouring on here and elsewhere didn't influence government policy as we'd be far worse off.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The EU sat back, still haven’t approved the vaccine, yet are now squealing it’s not fair.

To us it’s about the only benefit of brexit so far and the only truly good thing our government has done since the start of this.

Sorry EU but up yours Delors.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A bit rich for the EU to kick off with a hissy fit, when they placed their order for the vaccine 3 months after the UK did. Sorry Michel, Angela...get back in the queue.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Per this article by CEO of AstraZeneca, the UK have a contract to receive the vaccine, but AstraZeneca would not commit contractually with the EU as they came in 3months late; vaccines are provided to them on a best effort basis.

Worth a read as it covers supply chain and the one/two dose strategy : https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2...azeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

Thank you. Very interesting interview. It’s certainly a strange way to treat a company producing vaccines at zero profit. This sentence also stood out: ‘ Europe is getting 17 percent of this global production in February for a population that is 5 percent of the world population.’

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
" The EU DEMANDS " THE EU CAN FO !
We are no longer your lap dog , and if i were in need of a vaccine i would ask VERY nicely .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The EU will be defunct in 5 years or so, when the Covid Relief fund was agreed I think the Italian Prime Minister effectively stated this is the beginning of the end.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Turns out the primary reason the EU didn't place their order with Astrazeneca till 3 months down the line from the UK, is because they were haggling over the price and wanted product liability guarantees. The UK govt just got on with it and paid the full price. As [MENTION=2928]PILTDOWN MAN[/MENTION] said, this is one of the very few things this government has (finally) got right in this entire shitstorm. They got the priorities right here.

Also refreshing that the Astrazeneca CEO - a frenchman - has basically told the EU to DO one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here