Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Would you want wolves to be reintroduced in England?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw a documentary where the mainly English landowners of the highlands would quite happily introduce them as well as moose or elk from Scandinavia but that we would have to put some sort of fence across to appease the general population.

That can’t happen because we are then creating a zoo of sorts with the dear enclosed within. That would contravene certain environmental laws apparently.
Scotland’s highlands - and lowlands come to that - should be forest but the deer don’t allow saplings to get going.

The Yellowstone video of the reintroduction of Wolves is alway worth a watch if you have 4 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
While I agree that man has been destructive, they are now separate issues.

Deer not only slow natural reforestation, they also contribute to deforestation, as they eat the young trees that should replace the old. They are out of control in areas. Culling is an option which we use, but it isn't as effective as having natural predators, just as millions of years of evolution intended.

Answer me this , 20 years ago there was a forest / woodland area full of deer birds crested newts all the animals you would expect to find in a beautiful English scene , just half a mile from me . Now it has a ****ing great big ring road new housing estates shops and all that goes with such an invasive development . The deer and all his friends , crested newt as well are gone . They have been moved to a small area surrounded on all four sides by main roads . Don`t tell me the deer are to blame for all the saplings that went under the JCBs , but they have gone because of animals .

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I thought I saw an article that an estate in Scotland had reintroduced them about 5 years ago to keep deer population under control but the estate was fenced off all 50,000acres or whatever so they don’t just appear in Inverness high street.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I believe that man & nature can co-exist, but we're not doing a great job of it. We will continue to need new roads & houses, but we should build in an environmentally friendly & non-evasive way.

Can't comment on your particular area, but the UK in general is deceptively green. The biggest problem is that we have far too much grass, and far too little forest. This is not the modern person's fault, but literally thousands of years of man made deforestation.

While the grassy hills of the UK is lovely and picturesque, it is not natural. Go back a few thousand years and the UK was a forest, teeming with all kinds of wildlife that are long gone now. However if we build it [forest] they will come back, with a little help of reintroduction of species.

I empathise with your point about new developments - but they are inevitable. But there is SO much land that is green here, we just need to turn it back to forest. Reducing deer population is critical to that. Bring back the wolf!

We impose limitations on how many of this creature can live and how many of that one , so that it doesn`t mess up our tidy little world . Truth is we have caused such an imbalance on Mother Earth , and believe me she is our Mother . I love animals more than people , but i am no tree hugger , i just find our inherent greed nauseating .
I think we forget how the Earth got on before we rocked up , we seem to think she couldn`t survive without us , wow we are an arrogant species . Did it ever occur that it might be us that should be culled for the simple survival of the planet . Look at a road map of Britain and find an area bigger than 10 square miles that isn`t ruined or crossed by roads , they are national parks and are few and fair between .
I met an American years ago in a pub , he had drove the length of our country in just over 8 hours , he was amazed how small this land is . But you say " there is so much land that is green here " as i said in my previous post , not for long .
You say new developments are inevitable , you`re right but that doesn`t make them welcome or even necessary .

25 years ago we had about 5000 in Sweden, the government said "boars are cool, dont kill them". Now we have about 300 000. I could easily bring you a couple and no one would notice. But I'm a bit worried to do it by car as it could get detected and I guess maybe there's some law against bringing in wild foreign animals. Meaning you first need to teach me how to build a boat (you living on an island, I'm going to presume that you know how to build a boat). Give me boat knowhow, I'll bring you boar. Ok?

lol maybe you should change your NSC name to Wolfman :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No bloody way! And the same answer goes to those idiots who want to re-introduce bears to the UK. It's bad enough that wild boars have escaped from captivity and are breeding like b***ery and are now a nuisance, and sometimes dangerous.

Plenty of Bears in Brighton already.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No bloody way! And the same answer goes to those idiots who want to re-introduce bears to the UK. It's bad enough that wild boars have escaped from captivity and are breeding like b***ery and are now a nuisance, and sometimes dangerous.

I have a message from Australia . . .

Hold my boar

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think we should re-introduce wolves on Southern trains.

At least they know the time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought I saw an article that an estate in Scotland had reintroduced them about 5 years ago to keep deer population under control but the estate was fenced off all 50,000acres or whatever so they don’t just appear in Inverness high street.

Two werewolves walking down Inverness high street did comment on how few people they see when they are out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here