Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Holocaust Memorial Day

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The Holocaust was the worst single event in history in terms of both the number of civilians killed & the horrific way people were killed . It’s important to remember and learn from this terrible event to make sure it never happens again . The Albion have tweeted about this today .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Holocaust was the worst single event in history in terms of both the number of civilians killed & the horrific way people were killed . It’s important to remember and learn from this terrible event to make sure it never happens again . The Albion have tweeted about this today .

There should be some shameful faces in the US given the attire of some of the participants of the attack on the Capitol a couple of weeks back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should have stayed Holocaust only - including all genocide weakens the message. Same as people condemning 'all violence' when they're just avoiding directly criticising specific violence.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Should have stayed Holocaust only - including all genocide weakens the message. Same as people condemning 'all violence' when they're just avoiding directly criticising specific violence.

It's a difficult one but I agree mate.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Are you happy to forget the Roma and the disabled children who were murdered by the Nazis?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Are you happy to forget the Roma and the disabled children who were murdered by the Nazis?

The holocaust is the atrocity that the Nazis are renowned for, other atrocities that were committed by the Nazis are not so known about.
A lot of people on here are not always clued up on all the events that took place, so its best to highlight new facts, rather to use as an attack.
The Roma incident is news to me, so I will look it up and read about it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The holocaust is the atrocity that the Nazis are renowned for, other atrocities that were committed by the Nazis are not so known about.
A lot of people on here are not always clued up on all the events that took place, so its best to highlight new facts, rather to use as an attack.

Agree completely. Anything which increases knowledge of the Holocaust and/or other Genocides around the world can only be a good thing and help to stop future ones.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I thought Lammy’s tweet was spot on.

1C647E7A-3BD0-49AE-B9EB-CF5D821E4FBF.jpeg

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

It’s included other Genocides since its inception and has never been exclusive to the Holocaust like the name suggests. It’s a big debate within the field, a very interesting one at that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day.
This year it has been widened to include remembrance of all genocide.

Genocides unfortunately has been a common thing among humans for a very, very long time. We're most likely talking hundreds of thousands of years. Currently we are living in what is probably the most peaceful era of all time, so thats something to celebrate in between the remebering, I suppose. Obviously still a lot of genocidal shit going on, like the genocide in Palestine, Yemen, certain parts of China and certain parts of Africa, but compared to the last century and a lot centuries before that we live in lucky times.

In the Western world it remains to be seen if is temporary, lingering effects of the WW2 or if it something more permanent. I hope for the latter but as the history books clearly show, its not that difficult to make groups of humans kill other groups of humans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you're on Twitter, follow the Auschwitz Memorial. Each day they tweet people who were born on that date, their country of origin, nationality and generally the reason they were sent to Aschwitz/Birkenau. It started with Poles, then Jews, Soviet soldiers and then onto other categories of people.
https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum

The children are particularly painful to read about, but necessary to remember.

[tweet]1354389019484975105[/tweet]

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

It's good to see that people are learning new things and keen to research. There are a couple things I will be going to read about, I didn't know about Armenia.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Genocides unfortunately has been a common thing among humans for a very, very long time. We're most likely talking hundreds of thousands of years. Currently we are living in what is probably the most peaceful era of all time, so thats something to celebrate in between the remebering, I suppose. Obviously still a lot of genocidal shit going on, like the genocide in Palestine, Yemen, certain parts of China and certain parts of Africa, but compared to the last century and a lot centuries before that we live in lucky times.

In the Western world it remains to be seen if is temporary, lingering effects of the WW2 or if it something more permanent. I hope for the latter but as the history books clearly show, its not that difficult to make groups of humans kill other groups of humans.

Genocide in Palestine ! Bore off Swansman . There are issues there , yes . A lot of tit for tat violence & obviously the IDF are going to come out on top . To suggest that Israel is systematically killing Palestinians in huge numbers in a way to cause a genocide is completely ludicrous and just demonstrates how heavily prejudiced you are . However I think most people probably already know that about you .

And before you reference the vaccine story the Guardian run , again subsequently turns out to be untrue . ( The Guardian being wrong about Israel what a surprise! ) The govt offered to supply the Palestinians authorities with vaccines but were turned down with the response they have sorted out their own supply and didn’t want any help from Israel. Of course thousands of Arab Israelis have been vaccinated along with the Jewish Israelis and all other citizens that live in the main state of Israel

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Genocide in Palestine ! Bore off Swansman . There are issues there , yes . A lot of tit for tat violence & obviously the IDF are going to come out on top . To suggest that Israel is systematically killing Palestinians in huge numbers in a way to cause a genocide is completely ludicrous and just demonstrates how heavily prejudiced you are . However I think most people probably already know that about you .

And before you reference the vaccine story the Guardian run , again subsequently turns out to be untrue . ( The Guardian being wrong about Israel what a surprise! ) The govt offered to supply the Palestinians authorities with vaccines but were turned down with the response they have sorted out their own supply and didn’t want any help from Israel. Of course thousands of Arab Israelis have been vaccinated along with the Jewish Israelis and all other citizens that live in the main state of Israel

Of course, there has never been any genocide in Palestine -

Yehida Massacre
Khisas Massacre
Qazaza Massacre
Al-Sheikh Village Massacre
Deir Yassin Massacre
Naser Al-Din Massacre
Beit Daras Massacre
The Dahmash Mosque Massacre
Dawayma Massacre
Sharafat Massacre
Kibya Massacre