Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New Car - what would you choose

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
My old car has just blown up so need a good value manual runaround for my own use and for my kids to learn in. Seems like there are some good PCP finance deals to be had.

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

Volkswagen Polo (quite a bit cheaper than the rest)

Reviews from your personal experience would be great. Thanks in advance NSC.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My old car has just blown up so need a good value manual runaround for my own use and for my kids to learn in. Seems like there are some good PCP finance deals to be had.

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

For me, the 1. To get children insured, the Polo.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The new Polo is almost the same size as earlier iterations of the Golf so with everything else taken into account (eg price, child friendly, reliable, good residuals etc etc) = no brainer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
for run around and learning, Polo.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

been driving my 54 reg polo for 8 years now - never really given me a days trouble. 120k on the clock.

cue not starting tomorrow now!

For me, the 1. To get children insured, the Polo.

The new Polo is almost the same size as earlier iterations of the Golf so with everything else taken into account (eg price, child friendly, reliable, good residuals etc etc) = no brainer.

I haven't looked for a while, but I always found PCH substantially cheaper than PCP, like for like.

for run around and learning, Polo.

This, the Polo.
We have a 2010 DSG auto Polo, never had any issues with :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not great PCP deals at the moment - or at least the PCP looks cheap but the GFVs are incredibly inflated.

Whats your budget? Have you looked at Leaseloco or Leasing.com ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

I do find cars are much of a muchness these days :shrug: But buy something you can afford. Everyone will tell you about the great lease/loan/etc deals that are out there, but somebody is taking money out of the deal, and it's definitely not you !. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

And given the situation across the UK at the moment, you don't want to commit yourself to ongoing payments. From what you have said/investigated I would go for the Polo.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

Golf[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
We just bought a 1.2 litre petrol turbo Skoda Fabia estate 15 reg for £5900. It has very low emissions and just £20 road tax, £60 a year parking permit for Brighton & Hove and cheap insurance too. Happy so far and have had to do a long journey in it also which went smoothly.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I do find cars are much of a muchness these days :shrug: But buy something you can afford. Everyone will tell you about the great lease/loan/etc deals that are out there, but somebody is taking money out of the deal, and it's definitely not you !. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

And given the situation across the UK at the moment, you don't want to commit yourself to ongoing payments. From what you have said/investigated I would go for the Polo.

I agree with a lot of that. It just feels that used cars are where the dealer makes a big turn and consequently look expensive and new car sales are more competitive because the salesman have targets to hit. Probably wrong but it seems that way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My son has had 2 Polos, neither from mint, but both well appreciated.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree with a lot of that. It just feels that used cars are where the dealer makes a big turn and consequently look expensive and new car sales are more competitive because the salesman have targets to hit. Probably wrong but it seems that way.

There's always private sales and I'm sure you can find some friend of a friend who knows something about cars. I'm no expert but have a good look at the service history and any repairs (good private owners do have a habit of keeping invoices). check the car is cold when you get there, check it starts ok and listen to the exhaust, open the bonnet, get someone to rev it and listen for rattles, take it for a test drive, brake hard and do a speedy turn on full lock. Over the years I have bought loads of second hand cars, all private, and some for significant sums and I am no mechanic.

Only time I've ever taken a mechanic along was when I invested in my mid-life crisis classic sports car (and still running fine 6 years later). There are some good deals out there. If in doubt, see if [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION]has an hourly rate :wink:

Sorry, but back to watching SEGW fall over

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I’ve had my 02 Polo for nearly 17 years - now done over 200k and still gets me from Coventry to the Amex and back every time without fail - brilliantly reliable car - Polo is the correct answer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here