Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waste & Recycling collection

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Having no collection last week phoned council to enquire when to expect the next collection,amazed to find phones not being manned so went to their website and tried to send an e/mail, completed a number of forms however pressing submit they all stayed on the screen.
In view of the reported council who have fined those who left bins on the pavement i am far from pleased in my situation. I t is understood that staff sickness is causing problems however there must be a considerable number of unemployed people who would accept temporary positions

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Having no collection last week phoned council to enquire when to expect the next collection,amazed to find phones not being manned so went to their website and tried to send an e/mail, completed a number of forms however pressing submit they all stayed on the screen.
In view of the reported council who have fined those who left bins on the pavement i am far from pleased in my situation. I t is understood that staff sickness is causing problems however there must be a considerable number of unemployed people who would accept temporary positions

Nice idea.

But who is going to train them all?
Who is going to roster them in?
Who is going to run the recruitment campaign?
Who is going to set up payment?
etc.

It's an interesting idea, but it's flawed because there are always knock ons.

We could, of course, just let them eat cake?

As an aside, in Vancouver they have a deal where the homeless can earn food vouchers for each bag of rubbish they collect and bring to the waste depot. I wasn't sure how I felt about it but was assured that it was a way to build relationships and trust with the long term homeless and help them.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Which Council?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling-and-streets

Hope this helps.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last week Adur council didn't do our re-cycling refuse, just ours only. Mailed council so they collected the next day, excellent service.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I’ve taken too standing on the rubbish in both my normal and recycling bins to fit more in. You’d be amazed how much more will fit. :)

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ve taken too standing on the rubbish in both my normal and recycling bins to fit more in. You’d be amazed how much more will fit. :)

The old tricks are the best. . . . A wheelie bin is twice the size of a dustbin. . . Generate less rubbish!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Which Council?
It was in the newspaper and on TV,cant remember the town

You're moaning about the council, but can't remember which council ? Or have I misunderstood ?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
To be fair they were discussing on radio 2 the other day that the amount of rubbish and recycling being produced by households has rocketed in lockdown due to....... all the online ordering we now do and the amount of perishable food people are over buying and then throwing away. Tbf makes sense and the councils are struggling to cope with all the extra amounts, coupled with staffing issues and safety around covid. Your first post sounds very entitled. And i say this living in Brighton and no recycling collected for over 3 weeks. I mean, shit the bed really - one week overdue?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm always amazed when I phone an office an no one answers the effing phone!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
It's worth having a look where your local Terracycle drop-off point is - https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/

Some are run by schools, and they get money raised for what they collect.

You'd be amazed how much recyclable stuff (crisp packets, chocolate wrappers, bread bags) that builds up - all stuff that would otherwise go to landfill.

Also most supermarkets collect that stretchy LDPE plastic wrapping (along with carrier bags) - things that councils don't collect for recycling.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here