Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Home Insurance

Was with Saga for several years, this year found the time to run our details by the Meerkats. Despite having a relatively recent claim Tesco came back with quote around a third of the Saga renewal so we went with them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Being an Insurance broker I’d say don’t use banks or building societies when beat their rates easily and if people have taken out cover with their mortgage they are usually getting fleeced.

Funnily enough, despite having the car insurance with LV, and promises of discount for existing customers, Nationwide gave me a much better quote for contents & buildings. When we took out the mortgage the policy was with the Coop, but they got dearer & dearer despite no claims.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I’m with Tesco and they are arguing the toss over bathroom damage.
Had 2 quotes to repair for between £4k and £4.5k and looks like the max we’ll get will be £2.5k

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
thanks ... LV were really good to start with then i found that prices were drifting up , phoned and they HALVED my premium. This time they are saying they are offering the cheapest quote even though they are cheaper on gocompare for same deal. They just seemed disinterested. They lost my daughters car when they were quoting 3 times the price of other 'named' companies (and that was £1000 different). Funnily enough my car insurance is cheaper with them this year for same package.

Looks like it's the fault of the Germans - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/25/how-can-lv-increase-our-car-insurance-in-the-covid-19-crisis

(I've had car insurance with LV for years and have been very happy with their prices and service - it will be interesting to see what happens when the quote comes in for renewal this year.)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Had 2 quotes to repair for between £4k and £4.5k and looks like the max we’ll get will be £2.5k

Sad to say that confirms what I said earlier. The good reviews need to reflect how well they respond to and meet claims rather than how cheaply and efficiently they take your premiums.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Been with Tesco for 3 years now.
Exactly a year ago, our hot water tank dropped it's bottom and did about £7k of buildings and £1k contents damage.
They paid up promptly and the whole claim was managed smoothly and without issue.

Would happily recommend as they also came up with the cheapest quote 3 years running too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have a mixed picture with LV.

Great value on my car insurance for years now, no sneaky rises and amazing claims service when a pillock took my new car out.

But with home insurance, after no claims in 20 years, over a couple of years we made three honest claims on phone/tablet screens broken under device accidental cover. Next year’s premium trebled! Trying to shop around, we then found it almost impossible to get insured elsewhere due this ‘awful’ claims history. The lesson: don’t make valid claims unless your home burns down.

They certainly give out mixed messages, my car insurance due early next month has gone down . I did have a no fault claim 2 years ago and that did not affect my premium either. But with the house stuff they seem different, i did challenge them about 5 years ago and they HALVED the quote saying that they were just changing me to a 'new style' policy. Since then it has been creeping up but still quite a bit lower than i was paying. Showed me how much i was being ripped off by them and previous house insurers who were even higher.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They certainly give out mixed messages, my car insurance due early next month has gone down . I did have a no fault claim 2 years ago and that did not affect my premium either. But with the house stuff they seem different, i did challenge them about 5 years ago and they HALVED the quote saying that they were just changing me to a 'new style' policy. Since then it has been creeping up but still quite a bit lower than i was paying. Showed me how much i was being ripped off by them and previous house insurers who were even higher.

My LV home insurance policy renewal is the end of March.

This thread's motivated me to shop around. The premium is huge compared to say 4 years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here