Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Home Insurance

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone have any recommendations regards good companies to supply building and house insurance. I had a quick go on gocompare but most of those on the list it produced are companies i am not familiar with.... Current supplier is LV who have upped their price by 10% and don't want to negotiate.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I thought this was going to be a joke about how we get "robbed" at home all the time.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Moneysupermarket ? Aviva direct?

My only advice when filling out these forms is do not put in a real home telephone number on the quote. We have had a new line in our property since jan 2020 with not 1 unsolicited call. Wife did a home insurance quote few weeks back and now every day we are getting the usual amazon and BT scam calls. Someone out there sells telephone numbers :censored:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Moneysupermarket ? Aviva direct?

My only advice when filling out these forms is do not put in a real home telephone number on the quote. We have had a new line in our property since jan 2020 with not 1 unsolicited call. Wife did a home insurance quote few weeks back and now every day we are getting the usual amazon and BT scam calls. Someone out there sells telephone numbers :censored:

On this point, when filling in forms online for a company/shop/quote etc. Put your middle name as the name of the company. That way you can work out who's sold your data.

boik

On this point, when filling in forms online for a company/shop/quote etc. Put your middle name as the name of the company. That way you can work out who's sold your data.

I have my own domain so I use <company>@<mydomain>.com for the same purpose. Only ever had 2 companies sell on my email address and it was easy to blacklist those.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I got a brilliant 3 year fixed deal with Natwest off their website a couple of years ago. Might be worth a look as they probably aren't on the comparison sites. Elite cover if I remember rightly. Don't skimp on the cover. There's half a bungalow near me with the roof and the rooms inside all gone and downstairs ruined by fire. Never under insure your Home and Contents.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Does anyone have any recommendations regards good companies to supply building and house insurance. I had a quick go on gocompare but most of those on the list it produced are companies i am not familiar with.... Current supplier is LV who have upped their price by 10% and don't want to negotiate.

I used Compare the market a couple of weeks ago for my car insurance when my insurer ( AXA) put up my premium. After a quick call to AXA to see if the could match the lowest new quote they actually quoted me a figure of £45 above the renewal premium! I said thanks but no thanks and promptly took up the quote from the comparison website ( which, may I add was nearly half the cost of the new AXA premium), this was a like for like swap and I also done a quick Google search on the new insurer/broker as I too had never heard of this company. Their reviews were fine so this put my mind at rest. Don't be put off by a company you are not familiar with.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I used Compare the market a couple of weeks ago for my car insurance when my insurer ( AXA) put up my premium. After a quick call to AXA to see if the could match the lowest new quote they actually quoted me a figure of £45 above the renewal premium! I said thanks but no thanks and promptly took up the quote from the comparison website ( which, may I add was nearly half the cost of the new AXA premium), this was a like for like swap and I also done a quick Google search on the new insurer/broker as I too had never heard of this company. Their reviews were fine so this put my mind at rest. Don't be put off by a company you are not familiar with.

I agree, don't be put off by a company you aren't familiar with, but exercise caution. You aren't buying the cheapest premium, you are buying the peace of mind of knowing there is an easy claims process and full and quick recovery of loss when you need it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Been with Privilege a while and they haven't tried any stupid price hikes yet which is a plus in my book. Try and scam me and lose my business. Sky are the only ones I do the discount dance with these days. Anyone else tries to hike the price won't get a phonecall - they just lose the business.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i use compare the meerkat then choose the cheapest that isnt a supermarket/bank/brand reselling insurance. then have check actually like for like on the extra cover (like legal, accident damage) and some of the terms for drains and other water related cover. then do it all again in 12 months when they ramp up the price 30%.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you have car(s) look at Admiral as you can have a multi cover policy which might save you money overall. You can have family as well who dont live with you. Our policy covers my car, home contents and buildings as well my daughters car and her flat contents.

You might not even need to renew your car insurance until it due to renew as they will build that into a quote as well, that what they did with us about 3 years ago.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
i use compare the meerkat then choose the cheapest that isnt a supermarket/bank/brand reselling insurance. then have check actually like for like on the extra cover (like legal, accident damage) and some of the terms for drains and other water related cover. then do it all again in 12 months when they ramp up the price 30%.

thanks ... LV were really good to start with then i found that prices were drifting up , phoned and they HALVED my premium. This time they are saying they are offering the cheapest quote even though they are cheaper on gocompare for same deal. They just seemed disinterested. They lost my daughters car when they were quoting 3 times the price of other 'named' companies (and that was £1000 different). Funnily enough my car insurance is cheaper with them this year for same package.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ours is with Ageas. They weren't exactly the cheapest, but when I made a claim recently after giving my MacBook an unintentional shower, their service was absolutely excellent: couldn't fault them.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Being an Insurance broker I’d say don’t use banks or building societies when beat their rates easily and if people have taken out cover with their mortgage they are usually getting fleeced.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I'm with Direct Line for home contents. Brilliant service and good price. They don't come up on comparison sites but you do get an extra discount if your car is with them too. Buildings is UIA, but I'm kinda stuck with them as the house subsided a few years back and they paid £40,000 for under-pinning, so no one else wants the business. :eek::eek:

Be careful what cover you get with cheap quotes, and good luck.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm with Direct Line for home contents. Brilliant service and good price. They don't come up on comparison sites but you do get an extra discount if your car is with them too. Buildings is UIA, but I'm kinda stuck with them as the house subsided a few years back and they paid £40,000 for under-pinning, so no one else wants the business. :eek::eek:

We are with Santander and have been for many years for precisely the same reason - the house was underpinned in 1998ish, and it had also been underpinned in 1977 before we bought it.

When we have tried elsewhere it’s either horrendously complicated or they just don’t quote when they see the postcode. We have over the last few years rung up and talked to them, though, and got the price down. They’ve been ok.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If the quotes are a lot cheaper and the only thing holding you back is the unfamiliar name, do a check on Companies House. Most of these names are probably backed by a bigger branded insurer. You can also check if they are members of the Association of British Insurers

https://www.abi.org.uk/about-the-abi/abi-members/

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Surprised by that, would have thought that if you have had underpinning done then you are probably a better risk now!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
thanks ... LV were really good to start with then i found that prices were drifting up , phoned and they HALVED my premium. This time they are saying they are offering the cheapest quote even though they are cheaper on gocompare for same deal. They just seemed disinterested. They lost my daughters car when they were quoting 3 times the price of other 'named' companies (and that was £1000 different). Funnily enough my car insurance is cheaper with them this year for same package.

I have a mixed picture with LV.

Great value on my car insurance for years now, no sneaky rises and amazing claims service when a pillock took my new car out.

But with home insurance, after no claims in 20 years, over a couple of years we made three honest claims on phone/tablet screens broken under device accidental cover. Next year’s premium trebled! Trying to shop around, we then found it almost impossible to get insured elsewhere due this ‘awful’ claims history. The lesson: don’t make valid claims unless your home burns down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here