Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Numbers

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Plenty of pent up demand so no trouble selling out the 23K season tickets, I reckon. If we can still get over 18K to renew after the Sami season then I can't see 18 months of closed stadia and the back end of a pandemic putting that many people off renewing or taking up the opportunity to get their first season ticket. Put it this way, can you see the boozers being quiet when they open up back to normal later this year?

I'm confident that we'll be back to something like normal in the autumn. There's about 30 weeks until the 21/22 season would normally start, by which time there will have been sufficient time to give the entire adult (and vulnerable <18) population 2 shots. Even when we just get to the <50s it will massively ease the burden on the NHS, which is the most important thing, and those that decide not to take it have their free will to do so in the same way that they have their freedom to take up base jumping or bull fighting.

I hope you are right, but fear you are wrong. I have spoken to a lot of people who are not renewing, due to the virus and other reasons. On pubs, think the numbers that went to pubs in the summer was reduced dramatically due to concern over the virus. These issues and loss of habit, and of course lack of funds, will count for a lot of people not bothering to renew. As said really happy to be incorrect on this one.

It's a real shame when we probably have the best team and team we have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, but a community also has free will. Vaccination passports may be the way forward for football

I just don't see this - if the whole country is deemed 'covid free' and restrictions have been removed (it won't be 'free', but it'll be at a point where infections are a very small number and amongst the unvaccinated, and very few people are getting seriously ill - which is presumably where we aim to be heading) why would there be any need to check if people had been vaccinated ? Anyone not vaccinated would only be risking their own health if the vaccinated are still carrying/transmitting the virus.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I just don't see this - if the whole country is deemed 'covid free' and restrictions have been removed (it won't be 'free', but it'll be at a point where infections are a very small number and amongst the unvaccinated, and very few people are getting seriously ill - which is presumably where we aim to be heading) why would there be any need to check if people had been vaccinated ? Anyone not vaccinated would only be risking their own health if the vaccinated are still carrying/transmitting the virus.

That’s a big ‘if’ for a start. The country may never be Covid free so it will all be about mitigating the effects. Periodic outbreaks will happen the lower the vaccine uptake and that will put an annual strain on the health service. Society can fight back against this by making vaccination a condition of enjoying the benefits of being a part of that society. The pandemic has shone a light on the contrasts between East and West in the population’s attitude towards the common good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s a big ‘if’ for a start. The country may never be Covid free so it will all be about mitigating the effects. Periodic outbreaks will happen the lower the vaccine uptake and that will put an annual strain on the health service. Society can fight back against this by making vaccination a condition of enjoying the benefits of being a part of that society. The pandemic has shone a light on the contrasts between East and West in the population’s attitude towards the common good.

Vacc certificates at football won't make any real difference to any of that - if there are outbreaks then there will be restrictions. Are you going to have to show one to go to the pub ? Get on a train ? Supermarket ? All have higher transmission risks than going to a football match outside. The country will never likely be covid free - it'll be covid-managed in the same way flu is managed.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Exactly. We don’t have measles certificates or flu certificates. There is no need for Covid ones either.

People are still in a Covid mindset, understandably, but once things go back to normal I think most people will soon adjust to normal life.

There’ll still be a few Jeremiahs, obviously, but hopefully they’ll be few and far between.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I love your optimism, seriously l do. Far too much negativity and general doom and gloom spouted on the subject. Obviously none of us know for sure what the future will bring, but one thing is for sure, without hope we have nothing, and we may as well crawl into the corner, roll up and die.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Vacc certificates at football won't make any real difference to any of that - if there are outbreaks then there will be restrictions. Are you going to have to show one to go to the pub ? Get on a train ? Supermarket ? All have higher transmission risks than going to a football match outside. The country will never likely be covid free - it'll be covid-managed in the same way flu is managed.

Trains and supermarkets have been operating pretty much throughout the pandemic. Pubs and football may have to accept restrictions not only to get licensed but also to regain the trust of their customers. I lived in Singapore and there was an acceptance of the risk of certain fatal diseases. However, there was also a willingness from people to follow rules designed to minimize that risk. Other factors are the unknowns around the new variants and the degree of protection given by the vaccine. You can see from the decision to increase the gap between first and second jabs that the Government is prioritizing public rather than individual good. Very difficult for people to get their heads around when all they think about is themselves.
I’m not necessarily arguing for vaccination certificates and I have already said we will be renewing our ST regardless (although dependent on cost). I’m just saying be prepared for restrictions if necessary and vaccination certificates are a possibility. Another option could be making people pay for the costs they rack up in ICU and beyond if they are not vaccinated. There is no good reason that I should pay for people exercising their ‘freewill.’

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This. Full 2-dose vaccination will hopefully have been made available to everyone that wants it by the end of the year. The only people that unvaccinated people will be putting at risk is themselves; it's therefore their own choice to travel on a crowded train to a match with other potentially unvaccinated and infectious people.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trains and supermarkets have been operating pretty much throughout the pandemic. Pubs and football may have to accept restrictions not only to get licensed but also to regain the trust of their customers. I lived in Singapore and there was an acceptance of the risk of certain fatal diseases. However, there was also a willingness from people to follow rules designed to minimize that risk. Other factors are the unknowns around the new variants and the degree of protection given by the vaccine. You can see from the decision to increase the gap between first and second jabs that the Government is prioritizing public rather than individual good. Very difficult for people to get their heads around when all they think about is themselves.
I’m not necessarily arguing for vaccination certificates and I have already said we will be renewing our ST regardless (although dependent on cost). I’m just saying be prepared for restrictions if necessary and vaccination certificates are a possibility. Another option could be making people pay for the costs they rack up in ICU and beyond if they are not vaccinated. There is no good reason that I should pay for people exercising their ‘freewill.’

Agree with you completely on the last point.........I just can’t see vacc certificates within country being the answer to anything, specifically attending football matches. There are loads of far higher risk of transmission events/places that would have to do it as well for it to make any difference. There’s very little evidence to suggest vaccination stops transmission, kids transmit but aren’t going to be vaccinated etc etc so anyone mixing unvaccinated is taking a risk.

I’ve also spent loads of time in Asia.......mask wearing has been completely normal for as long as I can remember, but pre-Covid it was the person who was ill that typically wore it. I don’t think there’s sufficient will on the part of Brits to act in that way though and it’s pretty much unenforceable.

I do think a negative test and vacc cert will be a prerequisite for travel to a high number of non UK destinations for a long time though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agree with you completely on the last point.........I just can’t see vacc certificates within country being the answer to anything, specifically attending football matches. There are loads of far higher risk of transmission events/places that would have to do it as well for it to make any difference. There’s very little evidence to suggest vaccination stops transmission, kids transmit but aren’t going to be vaccinated etc etc so anyone mixing unvaccinated is taking a risk.

I’ve also spent loads of time in Asia.......mask wearing has been completely normal for as long as I can remember, but pre-Covid it was the person who was ill that typically wore it. I don’t think there’s sufficient will on the part of Brits to act in that way though and it’s pretty much unenforceable.

I do think a negative test and vacc cert will be a prerequisite for travel to a high number of non UK destinations for a long time though.

Yup, it’s pretty standard for people out there to wear masks when they have colds or flu. Also during the annual illegal crop burning season in Indonesia. My company issued everybody with very high quality disposable masks one year when it was particularly bad, with the smog rolling in across the Singapore Strait (2014 ?). We actually threw them away on our return to the UK, much to my regret last year. It is also worth mentioning the Asian avergence to germs. Many locals did not use the pools in condos as they considered them too risky for germ transmission, Japanese non use of hand shaking, kisses, hugging as greetings. Presumably a lot of these cultural norms develop in response to living in an environment containing more deadly germs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup, it’s pretty standard for people out there to wear masks when they have colds or flu. Also during the annual illegal crop burning season in Indonesia. My company issued everybody with very high quality disposable masks one year when it was particularly bad, with the smog rolling in across the Singapore Strait (2014 ?). We actually threw them away on our return to the UK, much to my regret last year. It is also worth mentioning the Asian avergence to germs. Many locals did not use the pools in condos as they considered them too risky for germ transmission, Japanese non use of hand shaking, kisses, hugging as greetings. Presumably a lot of these cultural norms develop in response to living in an environment containing more deadly germs.

I was in and out of SGP a few times around the time the smog was really bad working on a particular project - not sure exactly but quite probably 2014 as you say. It was awful. HK have similar issues from time to time with air quality (China industrial output) - had several staff get respiratory problems on visits there (one got hospitalised). The last time I was in Shanghai I woke up one morning and couldn’t see the hotel next door the smog was so bad.

Be interesting to see how we evolve around things like handshakes, hugging etc here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here