Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Numbers

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Given that it's very unlikely to be back to full stadia this season I was wondering what's next season going to look like?

If we assume full stadia by August, and we assume annual COVID jabs so reasonable normality out there, will we sell anywhere near 23,000 season tickets?

Personally I think this could be the first season that people can buy tickets reasonably easily match by match and season ticket numbers will be down considerably. I'm not saying this to knock the club, us, as fans, or a political message, I just think this is how it will play out.

What do you feel, not about you personally, but how it will play out generally?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
If the government target of everyone getting a first vaccine by Sept come to fruition, it's probably not likely that we have full houses at the start of next season, is it? Could/would the club insist on proof of vaccine for entry?

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Normally around February we hear next season prices and then start to pay for following seasons season ticket from April 1st (if you use the DD option) - all depends on how the club plays this one, can see a lot of people not renewing if they have to start paying in a couple of months time for something that we may or may not be able to go to, If they can hold their nerve perhaps and start selling in June / July time when hopefully the world will look a lot better might be an idea ? 10 Year celebrations etc in August make it a big deal but how next season will pan out next season is still a massive mystery

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Given that it's very unlikely to be back to full stadia this season I was wondering what's next season going to look like?

If we assume full stadia by August, and we assume annual COVID jabs so reasonable normality out there, will we sell anywhere near 23,000 season tickets?

Personally I think this could be the first season that people can buy tickets reasonably easily match by match and season ticket numbers will be down considerably. I'm not saying this to knock the club, us, as fans, or a political message, I just think this is how it will play out.

What do you feel, not about you personally, but how it will play out generally?

As I've mentioned on another thread the 1901 contracts are also up for renewal in March.

Not sure about full stadia by August, if that happens strict measures will still be in place.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Personally? I'm considering whether I can afford/justify the outlay any more. Its a shame but if its the difference between putting food on the table or going to football there can only ever be one outcome.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It's going to take me a while to get used to crowds again. After avoiding any contact of that
type for so long. So, I imagine there might be a natural fear of crowds for a while at least, however
irrational it may be at the time.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I’d imagine some won’t renew.

But I’d also imagine there will be a rush to regain normality that would see a number take up some of the shortfall.

The economic consequences of covid (and brexit) will likely last for many, many years. I think a lot of people might think twice about renewing when it's so hard to make ends meet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If the government target of everyone getting a first vaccine by Sept come to fruition, it's probably not likely that we have full houses at the start of next season, is it? Could/would the club insist on proof of vaccine for entry?

At current (and increasing) rates, first doses will be finished way before September. More like April/May - assume say 50m left to do at 4m per week, will be done in 3 months or so. Once we have virtually everyone vaccinated they won’t need to insist on proof of vaccine because the numbers that haven’t had it won’t be material anyway.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
At current (and increasing) rates, first doses will be finished way before September. More like April/May - assume say 50m left to do at 4m per week, will be done in 3 months or so. Once we have virtually everyone vaccinated they won’t need to insist on proof of vaccine because the numbers that haven’t had it won’t be material anyway.

That's encouraging. Some good news at last!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's going to take me a while to get used to crowds again. After avoiding any contact of that
type for so long. So, I imagine there might be a natural fear of crowds for a while at least, however

Fair comment, I hadn't thought of that, people who have been isolating for so long could take a while to adjust.

Enochlophobia I think is the word for fear of crowds?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Tempting fate, but I think what league we're playing in might have an effect too. Fingers crossed for the PL, of course.

As for the OP's theory, I wouldn't be surprised if families opt out, but their place might be taken by younger men (in-work 18-25s) who haven't had a chance to go with any regularity before now.

These things (supply and demand) do ebb and flow, though. I got my season ticket because I received an email from the club, supposedly from the manager, who suggested that as I bought individual tickets on a regular basis that I might consider buying a ST. Good idea, I thought, and bought one for the second half of that season. A couple of years later, I'd have had to have begged to have gone on a waiting list.

As for me, I'll be going back to games at the first opportunity. As I said elsewhere, once the over 50s are vaccinated then lockdown ends as far as I'm concerned.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I think it’s not just about money, I’ve been falling out of love with football for the last few years and only worry about the Albion now. Having had a year away I’m not missing it and I’m saving lots of money so have decided not to renew, I will still go to the odd game as you have always managed to get tickets on the exchange if organised but I fear I’m not the only one who feels like this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Without wishing to seem like a doom merchant I feel this will be a significant change and I'd be surprised if, given fear of crowds, passage of time, and economic factors, we sell more than 15,000 tickets. As I've stated, just my personal feeling and nobody is to blame for this if it happens, just the way life has panned out! I just hope there's enough casual purchasers to take up the slack.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Don't be afraid!

hBDh7Gj.gif

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Without wishing to seem like a doom merchant I feel this will be a significant change and I'd be surprised if, given fear of crowds, passage of time, and economic factors, we sell more than 15,000 tickets. As I've stated, just my personal feeling and nobody is to blame for this if it happens, just the way life has panned out! I just hope there's enough casual purchasers to take up the slack.

That might not be the worst thing in the world. Ticket prices in the PL are disgraceful because clubs have been able to get away with it. A bit of demand pressure might improve things.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sounds overly pessimistic to me.....I think there will be a lot of ST holders not renewing for various reasons (all understandable - finances, VAR, fear or whatever), but equally there is a huge pent-up demand I think for people wanting to just ‘do stuff’ after so long cooped up at home (not just football obviously). If, as expected, everyone has had at least their first jab (and most likely second) and the grounds are fully open, I think they’ll fill up, even if it is with more casual supporters. Once jabbed I really think the vast majority will crack on with things - even now, some people seem to think wearing a mask makes them invincible (if the supermarket is anything to go by) so once the population has immunity things will return to whatever normal is very quickly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I hadn't actually thought of that. Since March last year I have been working from home and rarely interact with anyone other than Mrs P, Tesco delivery man, and the ladies in my local corner shop. The biggest group of people I have been in for almost a year is 6, just once, when we were allowed in the pub which was half empty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here