Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Long thread. Has Andalucia in Ferring made this thread? Can’t recommend the food highly enough. Fantastic Tapas and quality is top notch every visit. Not cheap but when was great food ever cheap?

Not been there for many years - especially after they tarted it up etc. I remember a birthday meal, where some young lad was working on his first night, practically shaking carrying a tray of drinks and proceeded to drop a whole pint of beer over my brother at the start of the night. The miserable owner just shrugged, said send in the dry cleaning bill (what for some jeans and a jacket?) .... Food always used to be decent though, but fairly big portions for tapas which limited how much you could order

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not been there for many years - especially after they tarted it up etc. I remember a birthday meal, where some young lad was working on his first night, practically shaking carrying a tray of drinks and proceeded to drop a whole pint of beer over my brother at the start of the night. The miserable owner just shrugged, said send in the dry cleaning bill (what for some jeans and a jacket?) .... Food always used to be decent though, but fairly big portions for tapas which limited how much you could order

It was dreadful before the revamp having been pretty good back in the early 90’s. The owner’s sons have taken it on. I hadn’t been there for more than 20 years before it was revamped. The miserable owner is still around but he sits at the bar and isn’t involved as far as I can see. Give it another go, I think you’ll be impressed.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Has been on previous years. Not been for a while as they seem to have cut the menu right down and taken off our favourite dishes.

I can recommend a couple of other good tapas places out West. First of all, tapas night at Boathouse Littlehampton Marina is really good - all prepared by NSC's own [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION]

Further West still, Viento De Levante in Chichester is also worth a visit (went recently for Fathers Day)

Very kind of you thanks, hope you and your family are well.

I also agree with your endorsement of Viento de Levante, such a nice venue. Also in Chi, on South Street, is Arties Kitchen, haven't been post lockdown but used to enjoy it there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Big thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for mentioning Fanoos on this thread. We went tonight and were not disappointed. Good simple Persian food, two starters and three main courses with change from £60. BYO really helps.
A great find and highly recommended.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very kind of you thanks, hope you and your family are well.

I also agree with your endorsement of Viento de Levante, such a nice venue. Also in Chi, on South Street, is Arties Kitchen, haven't been post lockdown but used to enjoy it there

As you appear to know about all things Chi, have you ever been to the Santorini? I am something of a Grecophile and am planning an early evening pre theatre meal there shortly.

Jul 7, 2003
After tapas talk this week made a last minute call into Rincon De Pepe.

We enjoyed all bar one dish and, as it usually the case, over ordered. Portions are on the larger side - their patatas would easily serve three people - but most were around the £6 mark so decent value. For those who have only seen it from the outside, there is a nice seating area out of the back. Also nice to have some contemporary Spanish music playing in the background rather the usual mix of Gypsy Kings and Guantanamera!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Can't be arsed to read through to see if it's been mentioned before, but me and the Mrs went to Cin Cin along Western Road last weekend and it was lovely.
Bit of a strange set up, sitting at the bar to eat, but the food was really nice. We had Guinea fowl, which I'd never had before, but it was a great decision. Two mains, two desserts, two beers and a lemonade came to £85-ish so not exactly cheap, but worth it. Friendly staff and they cook everything fresh in front of you.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
As you appear to know about all things Chi, have you ever been to the Santorini? I am something of a Grecophile and am planning an early evening pre theatre meal there shortly.

Like most Greek restaurants, the food is terrible but smashing plates....

I'm sorry.

I'm afraid I haven't been, hope you enjoy!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't be arsed to read through to see if it's been mentioned before, but me and the Mrs went to Cin Cin along Western Road last weekend and it was lovely.
Bit of a strange set up, sitting at the bar to eat, but the food was really nice. We had Guinea fowl, which I'd never had before, but it was a great decision. Two mains, two desserts, two beers and a lemonade came to £85-ish so not exactly cheap, but worth it. Friendly staff and they cook everything fresh in front of you.

I may have mentioned Cin Cin once or twice. It’s good isn’t it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Although not as prolific as HT, I also may have mentioned CinCin a few times and, when I do, it's the pasta that gets the best write-up

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After tapas talk this week made a last minute call into Rincon De Pepe.

We enjoyed all bar one dish and, as it usually the case, over ordered. Portions are on the larger side - their patatas would easily serve three people - but most were around the £6 mark so decent value. For those who have only seen it from the outside, there is a nice seating area out of the back. Also nice to have some contemporary Spanish music playing in the background rather the usual mix of Gypsy Kings and Guantanamera!

That's one of those places I keep meaning to go to but, for some reason, still haven't made it yet and I didn't know they had a seating area at the back either!

On the subject of Worthing eateries, anyone been to Level 1 - https://level1worthing.co.uk - yet? Seems a really good use of that otherwise redundant space.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That's one of those places I keep meaning to go to but, for some reason, still haven't made it yet and I didn't know they had a seating area at the back either!

On the subject of Worthing eateries, anyone been to Level 1 - https://level1worthing.co.uk - yet? Seems a really good use of that otherwise redundant space.

Yes - but not overly impressed. Had a mini crawl around Worthing a couple of weeks back. Really liked the Old Bike Shop, Anchored and the Brookstead. Level 1 looks a bit cheap and temporary. I really like the Bison Beer bars in Brighton and Hove, which are expensive, but tend to have an interesting range of beers and good music. The choice of beer at Level 1 was very limited and the music was terrible. I did manage to order some decent food and will probably give it another try some time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here