Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Given February is fast approaching, it's about time to kick things off, but understandable that it's taken this long :down:

Congrats to Helene Darroze and Clare Smyth on getting three stars. These threads are so helpful that I went to the latter early on its life courtesy of a suggestion on an earlier iteration of this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...helene-darroze-celebrate-three-michelin-stars

I see Andrew Wong got 2. Not impressed. Not yet been to the Connaught under Darroze; suspect it'll be tougher now!

Not at all surprised that Core got 3.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I see Andrew Wong got 2. Not impressed. Not yet been to the Connaught under Darroze; suspect it'll be tougher now!

You think that's good? I popped into the McDonalds near Duxford with my children before Christmas and the young lad throwing our order onto a plastic tray had FOUR stars. Might be worth checking it out.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I’ve been to 3 Michelin star restaurants and wasn’t massively impressed with any of them, the food was delightful but it all felt a bit pretentious and way over priced. I’d rather go to a good gastropub

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think I remember your review of Wong’s restaurant, and the subsequent debate. Is he the fella that had a chef by the neck?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve been to 3 Michelin star restaurants and wasn’t massively impressed with any of them, the food was delightful but it all felt a bit pretentious and way over priced. I’d rather go to a good gastropub

Which 3 did you go to?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Is anyone familiar with Korean cuisine?

If so, what exactly in bibimbap? and are there any Korean restaurants in Brighton to be recommended? The only one l've had any feedback on is KOGI.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Absolutely agree. The pretentious atmosphere is the ones I’ve been to is certainly very off putting indeed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is anyone familiar with Korean cuisine?

If so, what exactly in bibimbap?

Mixed rice, meat, and veg - typically with a fried egg on top. Usually served with a side of kimchi.

Like all dishes, it can vary between shite and amazing - depending on the quality of the ingredients and the skills of the chef/cook.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some very good, and very interesting news: The Evening Star will have a kitchen when it re-opens and Troll will move inside and start his new “Troll Goes Wild” concept.

Here’s the blurb:

I’ve decided to bring back the original Troll’s pantry concept (which was never supposed to be just about burgers) but now with a much bigger emphasis on wild ingredients.

Think unpretentious, affordable comfort food with each dish having an element of the wild, whether it’s something I’ve foraged, wild game, or line caught fish. I want each dish to tell a story and for that story to start a conversation about exactly what “wild” means to our relationship with the natural world and to what extent we can draw upon it when evolving our broken global food system.

“But will there be burgers?!?” I hear you cry.

The answer to that is “yes, sometimes”

The goal is to only use wild meats exclusively, which means it’s seasonal. I can hopefully source wild Longhorn beef for example for a few months late summer/early autumn and venison throughout the winter. So yes beef and venison burgers will return but it’ll likely just be one menu option. In the meantime there’s lots of classic trolls pantry dishes from the past which will return such as kebabs, hashes, waffles plus I’ll be trying some new ideas too. Think of it a constantly evolving seasonal test kitchen.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for updates

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Think unpretentious, affordable comfort food with each dish having an element of the wild, whether it’s something I’ve foraged, wild game, or line caught fish. I want each dish to tell a story and for that story to start a conversation about exactly what “wild” means to our relationship with the natural world and to what extent we can draw upon it when evolving our broken global food system.

i enjoy his lack of self awareness in describing their product as unpretentious, then stating it will be foraged or wild Longhorn beef etc. and starting a conversation about our food. very much looking forward to having one with pint of Hophead though.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some very good, and very interesting news: The Evening Star will have a kitchen when it re-opens and Troll will move inside and start his new “Troll Goes Wild” concept.

Here’s the blurb:

I’ve decided to bring back the original Troll’s pantry concept (which was never supposed to be just about burgers) but now with a much bigger emphasis on wild ingredients.

“But will there be burgers?!?” I hear you cry.

The answer to that is “yes, sometimes”

The goal is to only use wild meats exclusively, which means it’s seasonal. I can hopefully source wild Longhorn beef for example for a few months late summer/early autumn and venison throughout the winter. So yes beef and venison burgers will return but it’ll likely just be one menu option. In the meantime there’s lots of classic trolls pantry dishes from the past which will return such as kebabs, hashes, waffles plus I’ll be trying some new ideas too. Think of it a constantly evolving seasonal test kitchen.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for updates

Wish the boy all the best in his new venture, obviously, but it's clearly the polar opposite of the bit in bold above :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i had heard very good things about the horn up near 5 ways i believe....the pub grub looked absolutely fantastic back in the summer with the ploughmans being the stand out.

good beer too ...hope they are able to resume service soon.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That's the thing about the Troll, wherever he's been it has always been pretentious but oh so worthy of the effort (and expense). The Woodyard trailer was a gamechanger for Brighton, the shacks at Albert/Evening Star remain the finest way to start a matchday (pint of Hophead and a Smokey Mountain sat in the sun on Trafalgar St - take me back), and even at the weird temporary waffle thing and the ill fated Hobgoblin stint, you'd be guaranteed something utterly delicious.

It won't be cheap though, and there will be another Barberesque facebook post about why he's having to charge £18 for a toastie because he's milking local seagulls to make the butter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i enjoy his lack of self awareness in describing their product as unpretentious, then stating it will be foraged or wild Longhorn beef etc. and starting a conversation about our food. very much looking forward to having one with pint of Hophead though.

Wish the boy all the best in his new venture, obviously, but it's clearly the polar opposite of the bit in bold above :lolol:

That's the thing about the Troll, wherever he's been it has always been pretentious but oh so worthy of the effort (and expense). The Woodyard trailer was a gamechanger for Brighton, the shacks at Albert/Evening Star remain the finest way to start a matchday (pint of Hophead and a Smokey Mountain sat in the sun on Trafalgar St - take me back), and even at the weird temporary waffle thing and the ill fated Hobgoblin stint, you'd be guaranteed something utterly delicious.

It won't be cheap though, and there will be another Barberesque facebook post about why he's having to charge £18 for a toastie because he's milking local seagulls to make the butter.

Ha - I got as far as "unpretentious" and started laughing too!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got as far as unpretentious, started to worry, but was then quickly and thankfully reassured.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I can't see this working well for either party. If the Troll moves inside, he will miss out on passing trade. The Evening Star only needs a couple of tables eating, but not drinking and their wet sales will be halved. Have they ever offered anything more sophisticated than a cheese and pickle sandwich?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here